“Would not stay again”
Review of Bakers Hotel

Bakers Hotel
Ranked #973 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Even at 79 bps for a "triple" room- meaning 2 single beds and 1 double bed- I would not recommend this hotel. That room with 3 beds would easily fit in any double room I've stayed in, even in Europe. If you stay on the top floor as we did, the paltry breakfast is a steep, narrow 5 floor walk-down. And I do mean paltry breakfast. It is served in a space that is incredibly tiny, so if even 6 other people are there, you asked to come back later (and not offered a measly piece of toast or bowl of cereal to take back with you). If we had been staying there longer than a night, we would have been severely disappointed.

The bathroom was nice, despite being another long flight of stairs down from the room. I was fortunate not to have any traffic issues with that. I did have traffic issues leaving the room, however, as the 2 rooms on the top floor share a doorstep so small that a large suitcase won't fit on it. So if you are entering or leaving your room at the same time as your neighbor, you will have quite a traffic jam.

The location is fine.

The kid who checked us in was neither particularly competent nor polite. The kid who checked us out got much higher marks on both counts. The girl in the breakfast room was competent enough to tell me I couldn't have breakfast because the closet they serve it in was full. I had to make a special request for a cup of tea to take the 5 flights back up to my room.

In hindsight, I understand why this is the only room we could get on short notice out of the 20 or so hotels we checked under 200 bps/night.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I only stayed here for one night on my last night in London. It was cheap, in a really convenient location (walking distance to the Victoria Station), and included free breakfast and free Wifi, so it met my needs. I had no issue with the size, I understand that's just what you get with budget hotels in London. The only issue I had was the bathroom was a bit dodgy, the showerhead didn't seem to fit properly so water sprayed everywhere, and the bathroom door didn't shut. But other than that, it was fine.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I booked this hotel based on a Rick Steve’s recommendation. I have stayed at countless Rick Steve’s recommendations, and never been disappointed before, but unfortunately, this time I was.

The main reason I choose to stay at this hotel was because the rate was the best I could find on short notice, and it was convenient to Victoria Station. The Cherry Court Hotel was also available, but slightly more (by 5 pounds). They seemed comparable, so I decided to save myself 5 pounds a night.

Unfortunately, I found my stay at Baker’s very disappointing, and in retrospect, wish I had just paid an extra 5 pounds a night, and stayed at Cherry Court Hotel which is much better rated than Baker’s Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I stayed in a single room (Room #10), with an outside toilet/shower on either the 1st or 2nd floor. While the hotel itself seemed clean enough (I did not experience some of the complaints of dirty sheets that other reviewers complained about), the hotel definitely has a worn out feel to it. The carpet is worn, somewhat dusty, and the walls are scuffed. But besides that, it was decently well kept. The sink in the room was clean, and the sheets were clean.

The single room was just big enough for a twin bed and a narrow pathway between the wall and the bed. There really wasn’t much room to maneuver, and I would imagine it would be uncomfortable for someone who is not petite. The most disappointing aspect of my stay was the mattress. It was incredibly soft and you could feel the springs. Fortunately, I am not that sensitive, but I would imagine this would be a problem for people who might have back problems.

The walls are paper thin, and you can hear your neighbors, and their conversation. If they are up late, or early (like mine were), you will be up with them. The bathroom for the room is outside the room, two floors down, which is somewhat inconvenient. Also, they only have two bathrooms on the outside, which did not seem to be quite enough. There was often a line. I have to say though, the bathroom itself were the highlight of the hotel. They were large, new looking, clean, and had hot water at a decent pressure level.

As for the other amenities, there is definitely nothing to write home about. Another down side of being on the third floor is that the wi-fi signal is very low, and I often had trouble getting on line. When I sat on the stairs on the ground floor to try and get online, the hotel clerk gave me a hard time.

Breakfast was a disappointment as well. It is a simple breakfast with some toast, processed cheese slices, yogurt, cereal and instant coffee. After the first morning, I ended up skipping breakfast altogether.

Overall, I suppose you get what you pay for, but for just slightly more, it seems like the other hotels in the area would be a better choice. The accommodations aren’t great, breakfast isn’t substantial, and the service was not great either. Also, I did not find the people at the hotel to friendly at all. If you have another choice, I recommend you stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Bemmybear
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Firstly, if you want a spacious hotel room in London...your will pay about $400 a night. If you want something more thrifty, this hotel is ok. Stayed here for 4 days prior to embarking on a trans-Atlantic cruise. For London, the price was good. Room was very small but that is the general rule if you want a budget room in London. Breakfast was adequate. No hot stuff prepared. Restaurants & Pubs are nearby. Ate in a fish restaurant closeby (dont remember the name) but it was excellent. Several coffee shops I. E. "Starbucks." A Sainsbury supermarket is close by. Hotel is about 5oo yards South of Victoria Station or 300 yards East of Victoria Coach Station. We landed at Heathrow then took the National Express bus to Victoria Coach station. Cost was very minimal. Don't remember exactly but it was very cheap compared to other means of transport. Hotel was a very easy walk from coach station. Many small mom & pop type 7-11's in the area. Some sell souvenirs which we bought. Many similar type hotels in the area. Seems to be a popular hotel area for folks about to embark on cruise ships at Southhampton. We saw several people on the ship that we saw in the fish restaurant or walking near the hotel. Overall, it is a good value for the money for London. Fish restaurant might be the "Blue Wave." Got there before 2pm but this was clearly posted on the "booking.com website so we were aware of it. Left luggage, then went to a local coffee shop of a coffee & pastry. Came back after 2pm and there was no problems. I have read other peoples review of Bakers but they don't know how expensive London is and they expect to get a spacious hotel like back home. But in London but that is not going to happen. Bakers hotel is a good value for a short stay and i live in Las Vegas so I know a thing or two about hotels.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank vegasphl
Reviewed November 22, 2012

as soon as my fiance and i got to the "hotel" we knew that was a bed and breakfast not a HOTEL which was allright because that area in london is well known to have bed & b. the guy that opens the door was the " MANAGER" the first word that came out of his mouth was the check in is at 2:00! i left my luggage on the breakfast - internet room and went out for a lunch, we came back 30 minutes before the check in and went downstairs to the " breakfast - internet " room to wait. while there one of the girls that cleans the room came to my fiance and i to have a little chat VERY NICE UKRANIAN GIRL! VERY WELCOME GIRL!! when sudden the "MANAGER" shout at her asking if she was finish allready with the duties!! she was about to leave the shift but we angage the conversation again, the manager shout againg the girl this time from the office, asking if our room was ready?? all this happening while WE ( THE CUSTOMERS) were having a conversation. the third shout in a row was SEND THEM UP!!! ( us) for the chek in. as soon as i hit the office, his face was not the right one and i ask " ARE YOU ALLRIGTH?" and he replied " yes , why you asking????? because you look upset, you' have been shouting the girl, interrupting the conversation which i think is VERY RUDE!!! he said , that he can talk to HIS EMPLOYEES THE WAY HE WANTS! i start to asking if he got and idea of how to treat customers???? he said he got MASTERS DEGREE IN HOSPITALITY???? ( don't think so)i told them if that is the way he treats customer he is completely wrong, because he survive because people like us( customers) inmediately he told me " I THINK YOU DON'T LIKE MY FACE" YOU DONT LIKE THIS( POINTING HIS FACE) i reply saying I GOT A LOT OF ASIAN FRIENDS!!!! WHY SHOUD I BE RACIST????? I'm from another country too , it doesn't make sence, but because i've been living in this country 3 years , and i got the opportunity to live in north america aswell for a long time i know the EXCUSES THAT some people came with. WE LIVE IN A MELTING POT COUNTRY SO YOUR EXCUSE WAS POINTLESS. he blame us to get to the hotel SO EARLY!!! what about if you can't speak eglish or you're disable!!!!.....the the manager, look totally unprofessional, bad teeth, bad dreess up, bad talking
the only good thing about this place is that my room was clean and the bathroom aswell. WE CAN'T STAY AT THE BREAKFAST ROOM AT ANYTIME, ONLY FOR BREAKFAST, BUT WE CAN STAY THERE TO CHECK THE EMAIL TILL 6pm...i wouldn't recommend this place to anybody just because the lack of everything of people like this gentleman!!!! I WOULD NOT GO BACK NOT EVEN FOR A FREE ROOM!!!!!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Bakers Hotel

+Close to Victoria station, about 7min walking distance.

-Very very small room.
-Dirty, hair on the bed, dust on the closet etc.
-No bathroom/wc in the room, its on the floor below and have to share it with other.

Its a Bed & Breakfast, not a fancy hotel.
We had room no.3 thats the first floor.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SilverFang13
A TripAdvisor Member
Japan
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Very good location. Easy to go to the Victoria station and coach station.
Room was good. They have tea and a kettle.
One bad point . My room was 3rd floor. Somebody walking around and make some noise in the 4th floor in the midnight. It was noisey . It was wake me up.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com