“Comfortable and Affordable”
Review of Avoca House Hotel

Avoca House Hotel
Ranked #148 of 579 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 15, 2011

If you're traveling on a budget, then I recommend this B&B. It's in a safe and lovely neighborhood. The staff is also very friendly and helpful. They gave me excellent sight-seeing tips! This is a modest, clean & cozy place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank msmelro

Reviewed September 25, 2011

Stayed here in late August after needing to find a hotel we could actually sleep in! Found this hotel at short notice and rang to book with minimum of fuss. With just the need for a decent bed and a hot shower, wasn't expecting luxury but was pleasantly surprised.

The location is quite good, a nice short walk to Swiss Cottage tube station (on the gray Jubilee line) and to the Belsize Park shops. The are is residential, so no hint of unsavoury people or late night boozers. The property itself is an old townhouse renovated some time back in to separate hotel rooms. The massive front door opens to a wide entry hall and the office, two family rooms and a creaky staircase to the upper levels.

Despite booking a queen room at the last minute, was upgraded to the family room. The room was huge, three beds (useless, only needed one) but had more than enough room to swing a cat! Framed by large French windows and full cupboard, there was a flat screen TV and mini fridge. The bathroom was clean and had full bath with a shower head too, although the doorway to the bathroom has quite a low head beam making you dick each time you go through!

The hotel does need a renovation - the carpet looks old, the bedding covers (that I take off the bed and never sit on anyway) are early 90's hotel school style. The linen and pillows were new, which is welcome, and the matress felt fine, so no complaints about the things that really matter.

Breakfast was included in the (very low!) price of the room, but I checked out before being able to see what was on offer. If I had to be back in London anywhere near this part of the city (or able to be accessed by the tube) then I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Ground floor family room is right next to reception, so you may get a little check in/out noise
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Kalon
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I chose this property for the location and cost and although the rooms were clean the property is very shabby, worn and depressing. I was expecting a budget property but the paint was peeling off the walls and the carpets were torn and it doesn't take much to put a coat of paint on to freshen things up and repair the carpeting. It just made me feel depressed going there. If you ujst want a clean place to sleep in a good location and cheap this fits the bill. But I personally don't like to feel that I have to escape my hotel room and be gone all day. I like having a comfy and cheery place to relax in between sightseeing. It just wasn't a place that I wanted to come back to to relax and I felt skeevy staying there.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Wandalust4ever
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We have stayed at many hotels over the years, often luxury ones with impeccable details and fantastic designs.

Avoca House was our choice as we had a tour of the Lords Cricket Ground scheduled for the next day. The room we had was spacious and pretty, the breakfast is good and the distance to the gorund is hardly a 10 min. drive. The garden may be small, but it’s a relaxing and quiet place.

Not many options for food, but the rooms are spacious with huge full length windows. The caretaker is a very pleasant man and is ready to help and make your stay comfortable.

Avoca House is a place you would definitely come back to and recommend to your friends. Thank you very much for making our stay so pleasant!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This 'No Frills' place is awesome and a true find for anyone on a budget who is looking for a great, peaceful place to stay in a nice area of London; this is my second visit and will not be my last .... that's for sure! This place has really friendly, polite staff and provides everything you need for a clean, comfortable and enjoyable stay, despite being old fashioned. I like privacy and peace when I go away, this is my uppermost requirement; the AHH offers both and is exceptional value for money at £49 per night. I love this place and I'm really looking forward to my next visit, its a pleasure to stay with these people ...... thanks once again guys!

Room Tip: Ground floor is good for me being disabled as there is no lift!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank michellejoanne48
Reviewed July 21, 2011

This small house hotel suits me and my flexbility....As if I am at home ... I arrived on Satuarday earlier than the check in time to find a room ready after a long journey. Just filled a form and direct to the room. I was given the code for the internet, which was very helpful for me, as without that it would be difficult. I use it for emails and communication The instructions for the use of the facility were clear when I booked over the phone from New York . A hotel attendant with the Name Rohan was elaborative and clearly informed me over the phone ahead of time of all my needs and the where abouts of resturants, stations...etc I do not have to take a taxi from the Heathrow as told about the underground services to Swiss Cottage. Google maps and earth did the rest.
My brother was astonished to discover that I know all of the Belsize resturants Cafes and areas of interest. The hotel is quiet. I usually leave in the morning and come at 5 Then again from 7 to midnight. I recomend this hotel for one who is independent and want to have fun in the city. Just remember to buy a transportation card for the period you are staying and use trains buses ...etc

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank TIJARHURA
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Avoca House is a no frills B&B at a very competitive price in a nice area. Close to the underground, the sights are a few stops away except for the Freud museum which is nearby and well worth seeing. Staff are friendly and helpful. We had some items purchased which were not suitable for hand luggage and the staff very kindly offered to post them to us (it being a bank holiday weekend). Previous reviews were accurate in our experience. I find that spending a lot on accommodation in London is wasted, given the time spent in the room. Perfect for a weekend.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple