“The best hotel I have stayed in”

Westminster House Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Westminster House Hotel
Ranked #960 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 15, 2009

I visited london 4 times in my life and everytime i had problems findind a good hotel. But this one is without any doubt the best hotel i stayed in for a long time. The location is perfect, only a few minutes walk to buckingham palace and other nice places, you feel very safe inside and outside the hotel, as a woman with 2 children i did not have any problem (my husband joined us 2 days later). It looks old though, but It is very clean hotel, fresh and clean [--], towels,soap...
But the most important thing about this hotel is the friendliness of the staff and the genuine kindness of the manager or owner, Johnny. We made a reservation for 2 people but we brought our 2 children with us; But it was not a problem as they gave us a family room with no extra charge. This place is really cozy and you feel at home here...
So thank you so much for making our holiday a special one especially to Christina, Andreea, Anna, Liza, Mirela and of course to Johnny. We'll send you a card from Canada and hope to see you next year !

Just one more thing: before we left this hotel we asked the manager why some people wrote bad reviews about your hotel ?he said that if some people smoke in the rooms or drunk and disturbed other guests or behave badly we have the right to ask them to leave for the peace of other guests. It is not possible to please everybody .

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Allsweetness

Reviewed October 16, 2008

For the first five days our our trip to England in August 2008, we stayed here. The room we had was just okay but it needed a lot of maintainance (wallpaper coming off, lights that didn't work, leaky shower door) but it was okay enough to remain there. After spending two nights in another city, I came back by myself and stayed at Westminster again. This time just for one night. I got a different room than before. What was really bad in this room was the mold in the bathroom (behind the sink, in the shower, on the shower head, and on the wall and ceiling). I was glad I was staying for only one night. I told the manager about the mold when I left. He said he didn't know about it and waits for the cleaning staff to inform him of any problems. In my opinion, I think the manager should occasionally check rooms to make sure everything is okay and not wait for the cleaning staff to tell him. Most of the maintenance work required would not take much money , just some time and routine cleaning. Therefore, after my experience I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2008

Horrible rooms and disgraceful staff. As a couple, we booked a twin room but on arrival were told that they only had two single rooms, each with only a single bed and on separate floors. We were told that if we didn\'t like it, we \'could leave, it\'s not our problem'. This was at 11:30pm, as our flight was late, and it was quite obvious they knew we wouldn\'t have much of an option at that hour. But, after seeing that the area had loads of hotels, we decided we preferred to share a room together, as you would, and left. But then we were charged for the night!!!!!!!!!!!
The hotel didn\'t provide the room I booked and then had the cheek to charge me anyway! Now, after disputing with hostelworld, they have lied and said they did provide it.
Even without this disgusting experience,which obviously shows they care more about £54 than customers, I would warn you against the hotel. The two rooms we were given, #5 and #7, were tiny, which they admit to, but they don\'t mention the mould, the smell and the dirty bed sheets do they? Yes, the location is awesome, but, lucky for us at midnight, there are loads of hotels on the same street. In fact we were taken in by a lovely South African guy at the Harcourt Hotel - well recommended.
As for this hotel, it is a horrible looking place and the staff and owners have shown that they will rip anyone off given half a chance. There are loads of lovely hotels on the same street & plenty in London. Advise you stay well clear of this greedy, dishonest, ripoff & hideous hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ockershell
Reviewed September 17, 2008

We arrived very tired and with much trepidation after reviewing many,many hotels in this district.We were very pleasantly surprised.The hotel was clean,quiet,comfortable,cute and above all,in a perfect location.Johnny and the staff were very accommodating.
We'll definitely stay here again.
M&P

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2008

The best thing about the place is its location- its very central, but the room was smaller than my bathroom, and my bathroom is tiny. It was like a cupboard. The door had a simple Yale lock which wasn't very secure, and I had my room robbed.

The owner was somewhat sympathetic, but offered no compensation, pointing out that there was a notice in the lobby about securing items with reception. The net result was that I ended up staying in most of the last day of my short holiday, and leaving the hotel & London early - glad to be going home.

At £45.00 a night its a cheap deal for London I suppose, but I can't help thinking that there are far better places to stay - my experience of theft ruined my holiday , and I think I would fork out a little more cash to have a room that is wider than the width of my outstretched hands !

Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank horusd
Reviewed March 17, 2008

I only stayed here for two nights because they were full for one of the nights of my trip, but I wish I had stayed the whole time. Although they accidentally gave us twin beds rather than a double, the rest of the stay was perfect. We are in college and are pretty easy to please, but I can honestly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for somewhere quiet, simple, and comfortable. The hotel is in a great upper class part of town, and we felt very safe walking back late at night. Our room was decorated in shabby chic fashion. We had a sink and a mirror in the room, but a shared bathroom down the stairs. My other hotel (Eaton House) had a private bathroom which was much smaller and dirtier than the nice big roomy shared bathroom here. The water was always hot and had plenty of pressure. They have hairdryers for hire which is a big plus. They leave croissants and tea in the room so you can eat whenever you want to in the morning. The staff is very kind and helpful, and I think the owner lives in the basement ( I knocked on the office door at 8pm for a hairdryer and he came out in his robe and was so nice to me!). There isn't an elevator, but the stairs aren't too treacherous. When you check in, you get a key to the front door (which is locked all the time), so you can come and go as you please...no curfew! The C1 bus stop is right down the street, and it takes you to the Sloane Square tube stop. The C1 only runs every 10-12 minutes though, so I usually just walked to the tube myself...about 7-8 minutes. This hotel is a great value for the traveler on a budget, especially if you are still young and not expecting 5 star quality for 65 pounds a night. I booked on hostelworld.com and found my rate there.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PrincessJessieBear
Reviewed March 7, 2008

We walked around the entire area and viewed numerous hotels. This hotel was by far the cleanest and most comfortable we had been in. The proprietor was extremely nice and really went out of his way to make sure our stay was pleasureable. I would highly recommend this hotel. It is affordable, comfortable, clean, and the location is excellent.

Stayed: May 2007