“Perfect if you want mould on your shower curtain.”

City View Hotel London
Ranked #419 of 573 London B&B and Inns
dublin
“Perfect if you want mould on your shower curtain.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel is so bad that it should be closed down. If I had read the reviews there is NO WAY I would have stayed here.

Some little things I found irritating that fellow travellers should look out for are:

1) Dirty rooms, including mould growing on shower curtain and a substance that looked like dried blood on the walls of the room.

2) Being charged £5 extra for paying by card at the hotel.

3) Rude and unwelcoming staff, particularly at reception.

4) No safe luggage storing facilities even though they claim they do.

5) Having to sit beside strangers at breakfast because there are not enough tables.

6) The noise of the train as it travels past the back door, no joke! Fortunately our room was situated on the street so we were't too badly affected.

7) They do not bring fresh towels in the mornings, nor do they remake the bed.

8) We had no hand towels, only bath towels.

9) The shower steam would spread out into the main room so it was like sitting in a cloud.

10) The tv didn't work.

11) No wardrobe.

12) No bedside lamp.

Essentially, I had so many problems that at times I found myself smiling at them. Faulty towers in real life! BEWARE.

Pros: Beside the Underground and a lovely park with squirrels, that's all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the street side to avoid the train!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank betsyvance

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel is so bad it is almost funny. In fact, I did find myself alone in my room laughing on several occasions, as I found yet another thing that didn't work, or reflected upon the service I had just been met with at breakfast / in reception. Sometimes you just have to laugh, right? And, given that it is one of the cheapest hotels in London, and right on top of the Bethnal Green Tube Station, you might say I got what I paid for (sadly this was a work trip and so I could easily have paid more - chose the hotel because it was recommended on the conference website and thus didn't even bother to check the reviews on tripadvisor. I won't make that mistake again!).

Pros: Not much, sadly. The bed linen was clean; that's about it. And it is right on top of the Bethnal Green tube station.

Cons: Firstly, the incredibly thin walls - there was a family with small children staying in the room next to me and I could hear them all night. Not to mention the fact that the building shook every time a train went past. I think there was a period in the middle of the night when the trains stopped, but that was maybe only between 12 and 4am - the rest of the time there was loud rumbling and shaking every few minutes. Add to this the lack of a wardrobe, lack of a lamp shade, lack of a plug for the bath (the man at the desk told me their ceilings have been leaking so they have removed all the plugs from all the bathrooms!), and the incredibly dirty tablecloths at breakfast (I'm not sure how often they change them, but it's not more frequently than once a week), and the overall impression was pretty shoddy.

Room Tip: As others have said, if you choose rooms on the left hand side you'll be kept awake by train noi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Claire M
Lee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I am writing this review in the hotel right now and i doubt i can get any sleep at all. The hotel is right above or next to the Bathnal Green tube station and the train runs almost every 2 minutes, so it is super noisy, just like sleeping in a train station. The hotel is very dirty, you can see that glasses haven't been washed ever, as there are even hairs in it. The sink was disgusting! At the beginning, i thought it was dirt in the sink and then they started moving! it were ants! The sink tap doesn't work properly, very little water comes out! The table is dirty with running ants too. THE WORST hotel ever!
Because i arrived late and had no time to change to another hotel! Otherwise I would have moved to another hotel immediately! DO NOT Stay at this hotel. it is not even cheap either! I paid for 60 quids, you can find a much better B&B even in London with that money and in a better location too!!! A horrible experience for me! the worst thing is that i couldn't even get any sleep with train running next to the hotel in every 2 minutes!
Oh, another thing, if you want to reserve a room, you must email your credit card number to their gmail account, of which anybody in the hotel have access too! And if you pay by card, they will charge 5% extra!

Room Tip: Check the reviews carefully before you make a booking!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Brigantine V
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Pack your earplugs, tonight you'll be sleeping next to... A railway line! Nice deep and partially clean bathtub to relax in you'll just need to pop down to the store and buy your own plug. Don't try to put anything in the bedside draws because the face of it will come off. Don't bother with the tv, which is held up by a glass because it doesn't work. Breakfast was actually ok and you want it for having to sleep in the hotel for the night. There's a lovely park across the road, grab your sleeping bag and save yourself £60!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank marnie h
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I needed a place to crash for just one night which was very cheap and had near transport links. It provided this, but a one night stay is all I'd recommend. The room was average, and the breakfast was ok and pretty basic, there's not alot of room for sitting either.

Main complaint I also had was that we were promised a 24hr reception service but the guy at reception said they would close at 3am so my boyfriend and I had to rush our night out and we almost got locked out (you have to leave keys at reception). Bathroom wasn't great either.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Crystal1691
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed for my husbands 40th. It's awful, if i hadn't reserved the room on my debit card we wouldn't stayed. The room was filthy as was the bedding. We didn't stay for breakfast we were scared we'd get food poisoning

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank Marty1983
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

If you don't mind sleeping in a cold damp smelly dirty hovel stay here you have hit the jackpot!..If on the other hand you intend to have a comfy stay and to not feel so unsafe give this a miss!..not only is it misleading as you are not even in the actual hotel but a run down flat!I was put in a basement like a dog!!..the kettle had stagnant water in and don't even get me started on there cooked breakfast! Oh my gosh vile! I appreciate the price but even so I expected some substance of class!..so be it on your head if you still feel like its a bargain!.

• Stayed August 2012