Firstly here's the context - I stayed for three nights in a single room with external bathroom in October 2012. The external bathroom was private (free upgrade from shared bathroom) and across the corridor.
* central London, close to Hyde's Park, Oxford Street, Marble Arch.
* my room was quiet and the only noise was from other rooms (thin walls meant I could hear hair dryers, showers, slamming doors)
* the air conditioning unit did a great job on the one day I came back to a boiling hot room
* it was cheap compared to other hotels in the same location
* my room had air con, a fridge and wifi (somewhat intermittent!!)
Less impressive .... (Disadvantages)
* four flights of steep stairs from the entrance to my room (one more to go down to the basement for breakfast)... there's no lift
* on asking for gluten-free breakfast (which I had mentioned on booking) I was told there was "nothing" I could have... when I talked to the reception about this, they said things along the lines of "if they could understand that, they wouldn't be working here" and that I needed to teach the kitchen staff how to prepare a gluten-free breakfast. That gave me no confidence at all that my breakfast would not make me ill.
* the room was tired - dated decor, a very bouncy bed that squeaked, crammed with stuff (air con unit, fridge, desk, wardrobe, drawers) so barely any room to move
* the external bathroom (for room 19 on the top floor) was tiny, and there was barely any water coming out of the shower head - if others on the same floor used water, it turned to scalding dribble that was dangerously hot whilst I waited for it to change back. It took ages to get clean as there was so little water coming out and getting the temperature right required patience, no-one else to be awake and about 10 minutes of fiddling
* the food I could eat at breakfast looked like it had been left out overnight - the slices of cheese had that sweaty look which was very unappetising
* the towels were not changed during the 3 days I was there
Overall, I guess I got what I paid for. In my mind this is a 2* hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Marble Arch - Gloucester Place Hotel is a Georgian Bed and Breakfast hotel in Central London. English Heritage has Listed the building as it was once occupied by members of the French Royal Family who had fled the French Revolution of 1789. The hotel offers a variety of en-suite rooms with private facilities and Discounted Basic rooms with shared facilities to cater for all budgets. All rooms have free Wireless internet, Portable Air conditioner Units, tea/Coffee & Biscuits. Situated in an ideal location in Marble Arch; close to London’s most famous sites such as Oxford Street, Hyde Park, Piccadilly Circus, London West End Theatres. It is a perfect venue for business and leisure. The hotel is also located next to the main Airport Bus stop and several underground stations serving all of London’s major destinations, and within easy reach of St Pancras Eurostar station. Also just a short walk from Madame Tussauds, Regents & Hyde Park and the shops of Oxford Street. The hotel is a Georgian listed building. There is no lift. However, staff will be happy to carry your luggage to your room on request. Alternatively we can try and book you a room on a lower floor if requested well in advance at the time of booking. Discounted NCP Parking is Available next to the hotel. The hotel offers good value central London accommodation with clean, tidy and cozy rooms in a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere with many modern comforts needed to make your stay enjoyable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Agoda so you can book your Marble Arch - Gloucester Place Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gloucester Place London
- Hotel Gloucester Place
- Gloucester Place Hotel
- Marble Arch - Gloucester Place Hotel London, England