“Decent "budget" London option.”

The Wesley Hotel & Conference Venue
Ranked #488 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Ok, so a Laterooms £170 deal is still expensive. Budget is a relative term in London.

Location is good. I had an inwards facing room, so no real opportunity for natural light. The air con was terrible though, just not cool enough. I had a room with a massive disabled shower, but the gap between the bed and the desk wouldn't let a wheelchair through. Odd.

I'd stay again if my usual preferred hotels aren't available.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)

Reviewed July 3, 2014

The location of this hotel is the key. It is a few steps from Euston station so ideal for visitors arriving on the West Coast Mainline, staying overnight for business or for leisure purposes. It is a clean and feels safe plus the front desk are very helpful. Breakfast is traditional with enough choice for most people. We will stay in this hotel again I am sure.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This hotel is located half a block from Euston/National railway Station. Three stops and you are at Leicister Square/ West End. The hotel prepares a full traditional English breakfast and the evening faire is innovative and well prepared.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Stayed with a group in the area for one night on business. Found this location to be a Very nice hotel. I found the pricing to be in line with my expectations based on what the hotel actually had to offer. The front desk staff was helpful, professional and courteous. Contemporary styled room furniture and bathroom. The restaurant was cool and if I remember correctly they served a nice breakfast. The lobby is set up nicely for meet and greets. Will consider this property for future stays going forward.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2014

This is my third visit to TheWesley, on the two previous occasions it was known by its former name of MIC. I use this hotel each year as is pretty central to where I attend an annual conference. I have found in the past that overall I have really enjoyed my stay with them. I have also recommended them to numerous people visiting London and many have stayed there as a result.

When I arrived, the reception area was empty, after a couple of minutes a young man appeared and said "I won't keep you long" and true to his word a couple of minutes later he appeared and checked me in. I was told where my room was located and was told to use the lift as it was on the second floor. The lift took forever to arrive and was excruciatingly slow. Even the doors opening and closing seemed to take forever. From the lift I had to drag my case down a set of stairs and then up another. It really was like solving a maze to find my room. As soon as I walked in my room (which was very small this time) I noticed the huge window (which ran the length of one whole wall) looked into a block of offices. As I approached the window there was a lady photocopying who looked up and smiled at me) to have any privacy at all, like to change for dinner, I had to close the curtains, which was a terrible shame as it was 5.30pm on a lovely sunny evening!
I went for dinner at 7.00pm, and was surprised to see that they had taken half of the seated dining area away to build a conference room, also they had put up an awful partitioned wall with advertising on, which had destroyed the open feel to the place. This meant now I had to eat my evening meal in the bar area, on a plastic white table. They were so compacted together also that when I had to squeeze between the tables to get to my seat I knocked the salt and pepper pots flying.
The food was very expensive. My prawn cocktail starter was £7 and my main of spicy prawn hot pot was £12.50, this was the cheapest main on the menu if you didn't want a burger or a light bite. They also added a service charge to the bill. That said the food was delicious, although small in portion and the waitress was very attentive. I dropped my napkin during my meal and before I could bend down to get it she was there to assist and then took it away replacing it with a clean one.
When I went back to my room for the evening it was unbearably warm. I tried to have a go at the air conditioning control panel but it was making no difference at all. At 10pm I tried again and it displayed the words 'this is centrally controlled' I rang down to reception and explained and they replied "We'll send someone up" - they never did!!! and by 11.30pm I needed to sleep so I put do not disturb on the door. I had an awful nights sleep due to how hot the room was.
On the positive, I liked the small touches like having a blutooth JBS speaker in the room so I could play my own music as I got ready in the morning. The shower was lovely, easy to gadge temperature, and was very spacious. They provided an iron and ironing board, which was helpful, this was hanging in the wardrobe.
Breakfast was fantastic for £9.99. It was a buffet style and there was plenty of choice. The chef was very friendly and asked if I had stayed here before. I told him this was my third time. He told me about the planed changes, and how things should be getter once completed. I said it was a shame that they had compromised the restaurant space in favour of a conference room.
When I checked out, I was asked if I enjoyed my stay and I explained that I hadn't due to the room being too warm and that I had rang down and was promised that someone would come and take a look at the air con, which nobody did, to which he replied "Well, it was very warm last night, that'll be £170.00 please!" - unbelievable!!! not even so much as an apology. As someone who has worked in Customer Service for the last 27 years I would love to spend some time training the staff here!
I'm very sad and disappointed as I liked staying here, but won't anymore. Customer Service is important to me and that final comment, coupled with the fact they couldn't be bothered to ensure I had a comfortable nights sleep means I'll take my custom elsewhere in future.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank BrianSimonHarrison
Reviewed June 28, 2014

My boyfriend and I got to the hotel on the 24th of June 2014 and were asked to sign in. We realised although the name was correct all other details such as method of payment, address, email, contact number etc were not belonging to my boyfriend who had booked our stay. The staff advised they could not find our correct booking on their system even after we showed them the confirmation email and stood for 15 minutes while they called another member of staff and sat in confusion at their computer screens. We were finally told just to sign the incorrect information which we did reluctantly and given our key and room number (from what the two members of staff said to eachother they themselves were unsure if the room was ready but told us to go up anyway) We would not have done this had it not been my birthday and we had a restaurant booking to get to nearby. Made to feel like it was our mistake and no apology whatsoever. Rubbish customer service. Room was average, comfy bed and clean. Got up in the morning to shower and shower leaked everywhere and was freezing cold. Missed breakfast because of this and maintenance man was not helpful and after fiddling for 10 minutes stormed out of the room with no explanation. 10 minutes later we were called by reception to say if we wanted a shower we would have to go into another room. We then showered in someone else's dirty room. Not what you expect to have to do when you have paid £189.00 for your stay. We then checked out an hour later then planned. Not once were we given an apology, offered breakfast or any kind of compensation for our inadequate stay. Not even a complimentary drink. Will not be returning.

• Stayed: June 2014
7  Thank FdelH
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Thankfully, we were only staying one night, as the room was just too small and felt like a cupboard. Luckily we didn't have a cat with us, as there just wasn't room to swing it. Felt very claustrophobic. The bathroom was equally as small, and I felt like I was continually banging my elbows every time I turned round. I have no idea where the large rooms are that are shown on TheWesley website, but we were not located in one of those. The lift was painfully slow, and the fact that we had to go through about 8 push/pull doors and up and down stairs after getting out of the lift to get to the room began to get very waring.

On the plus side, the room was very clean, as was the bathroom, bed linen and towels. The hotel is only a 3 minute walk from Euston station, which was my reason for booking it. Would I stay again? No.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple