“My Third Visit to TheWedley”

The Wesley Hotel & Conference Venue
Ranked #416 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“My Third Visit to TheWedley”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

This is my third visit to TheWesley, on the two previous occasions it was known by its former name of MIC. I use this hotel each year as is pretty central to where I attend an annual conference. I have found in the past that overall I have really enjoyed my stay with them. I have also recommended them to numerous people visiting London and many have stayed there as a result.

When I arrived, the reception area was empty, after a couple of minutes a young man appeared and said "I won't keep you long" and true to his word a couple of minutes later he appeared and checked me in. I was told where my room was located and was told to use the lift as it was on the second floor. The lift took forever to arrive and was excruciatingly slow. Even the doors opening and closing seemed to take forever. From the lift I had to drag my case down a set of stairs and then up another. It really was like solving a maze to find my room. As soon as I walked in my room (which was very small this time) I noticed the huge window (which ran the length of one whole wall) looked into a block of offices. As I approached the window there was a lady photocopying who looked up and smiled at me) to have any privacy at all, like to change for dinner, I had to close the curtains, which was a terrible shame as it was 5.30pm on a lovely sunny evening!
I went for dinner at 7.00pm, and was surprised to see that they had taken half of the seated dining area away to build a conference room, also they had put up an awful partitioned wall with advertising on, which had destroyed the open feel to the place. This meant now I had to eat my evening meal in the bar area, on a plastic white table. They were so compacted together also that when I had to squeeze between the tables to get to my seat I knocked the salt and pepper pots flying.
The food was very expensive. My prawn cocktail starter was £7 and my main of spicy prawn hot pot was £12.50, this was the cheapest main on the menu if you didn't want a burger or a light bite. They also added a service charge to the bill. That said the food was delicious, although small in portion and the waitress was very attentive. I dropped my napkin during my meal and before I could bend down to get it she was there to assist and then took it away replacing it with a clean one.
When I went back to my room for the evening it was unbearably warm. I tried to have a go at the air conditioning control panel but it was making no difference at all. At 10pm I tried again and it displayed the words 'this is centrally controlled' I rang down to reception and explained and they replied "We'll send someone up" - they never did!!! and by 11.30pm I needed to sleep so I put do not disturb on the door. I had an awful nights sleep due to how hot the room was.
On the positive, I liked the small touches like having a blutooth JBS speaker in the room so I could play my own music as I got ready in the morning. The shower was lovely, easy to gadge temperature, and was very spacious. They provided an iron and ironing board, which was helpful, this was hanging in the wardrobe.
Breakfast was fantastic for £9.99. It was a buffet style and there was plenty of choice. The chef was very friendly and asked if I had stayed here before. I told him this was my third time. He told me about the planed changes, and how things should be getter once completed. I said it was a shame that they had compromised the restaurant space in favour of a conference room.
When I checked out, I was asked if I enjoyed my stay and I explained that I hadn't due to the room being too warm and that I had rang down and was promised that someone would come and take a look at the air con, which nobody did, to which he replied "Well, it was very warm last night, that'll be £170.00 please!" - unbelievable!!! not even so much as an apology. As someone who has worked in Customer Service for the last 27 years I would love to spend some time training the staff here!
I'm very sad and disappointed as I liked staying here, but won't anymore. Customer Service is important to me and that final comment, coupled with the fact they couldn't be bothered to ensure I had a comfortable nights sleep means I'll take my custom elsewhere in future.

2 Thank BrianSimonHarrison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Essex
Reviewed June 28, 2014

My boyfriend and I got to the hotel on the 24th of June 2014 and were asked to sign in. We realised although the name was correct all other details such as method of payment, address, email, contact number etc were not belonging to my boyfriend who had booked our stay. The staff advised they could not find our correct booking on their system even after we showed them the confirmation email and stood for 15 minutes while they called another member of staff and sat in confusion at their computer screens. We were finally told just to sign the incorrect information which we did reluctantly and given our key and room number (from what the two members of staff said to eachother they themselves were unsure if the room was ready but told us to go up anyway) We would not have done this had it not been my birthday and we had a restaurant booking to get to nearby. Made to feel like it was our mistake and no apology whatsoever. Rubbish customer service. Room was average, comfy bed and clean. Got up in the morning to shower and shower leaked everywhere and was freezing cold. Missed breakfast because of this and maintenance man was not helpful and after fiddling for 10 minutes stormed out of the room with no explanation. 10 minutes later we were called by reception to say if we wanted a shower we would have to go into another room. We then showered in someone else's dirty room. Not what you expect to have to do when you have paid £189.00 for your stay. We then checked out an hour later then planned. Not once were we given an apology, offered breakfast or any kind of compensation for our inadequate stay. Not even a complimentary drink. Will not be returning.

• Stayed June 2014
7 Thank FdelH
Cheshire
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Thankfully, we were only staying one night, as the room was just too small and felt like a cupboard. Luckily we didn't have a cat with us, as there just wasn't room to swing it. Felt very claustrophobic. The bathroom was equally as small, and I felt like I was continually banging my elbows every time I turned round. I have no idea where the large rooms are that are shown on TheWesley website, but we were not located in one of those. The lift was painfully slow, and the fact that we had to go through about 8 push/pull doors and up and down stairs after getting out of the lift to get to the room began to get very waring.

On the plus side, the room was very clean, as was the bathroom, bed linen and towels. The hotel is only a 3 minute walk from Euston station, which was my reason for booking it. Would I stay again? No.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cheshire764
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I recently sent my mother and father to this hotel for my mothers 70th birthday along with a trip to the theatre. My parents are not shy to complain about anything but in this case found this hotel faultless. It was spotlessly clean, the rooms were lovely and the staff were warm, welcoming and very accommodating. They also had a meal deal at the hotel and said the food was superb and the presentation very good. In addition to this Juliano Comerio the Food and Beverage Manager was informed it was my mother birthday and bent over backwards to make them feel welcome and special. He even sent me photographs or the very happy couple enjoying their evening. What an outstanding hotel...I have NEVER known a hotel to go to such lengths to ensure that people get both value for money and such a warm and special welcome. I will go to great lengths to repay this hotel for their generous attitude and making it such a special stay for my mothers birthday. Out of 10 I would give them 11 and will be staying there at the first opportunity I get and will recommend it to friends as their first choice if they are staying in London. t's also just a 3 minute walk from Euston train station and less than 2 miles from the theatres. Awesome !!!

Room Tip: any room will be awesome as the value is in the hospitality and the exceptional staff members and th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve F
Israel
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I have stayed at many hotels in many cities includoing London. I would rank the Wesley as one of the better hotels mainly due to its simplicity, relatively good price for London and locality.
Close to Euston station.
Clean room with ample space.
Nice shower cubicle, not in a bath. Two shower heads.
Complimentary tea, coffee, biscuits and water.
Comfortable beds and pillows.
Had no problem with AC.
Fast check in and check out. The front desk staff should smile a bit more.
I am recommending to my company to use this hotel for our travellers to London.

2 Thank Les992
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Service was efficient and friendly. Although the hallways etc made me feel like I was in student halls again (and I got lost in a random corridor!), the room was great; more spacious than I'd imagined and well laid out. The small free standing mirror by the windows (which actually opened - relief!) was a nice touch. For me, being close to Euston Station was fantastic and although that can be a busy, noisy area the hotel was nicely tucked away. I forgot my phone charger but the housekeeping staff were very quick to deal with this. I was worried about spending so much, but compared to other hotels I felt like it was worth it in the end.

2 Thank 339Aly
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Stayed at TheWesley for 4D5N and thought it was a bit steep for being too far from Central London, but found it to be extremely convenient to travel from. Euston Rd stn is a 2 min walking distance and the buses are right from the main road. Livelier spots like Camden is a 10 min bus drive. The service was excellent including the breakfast, the rooms were a bit small but always very well kept and tidy.
The food is limited in choice and the staff was extremely sweet

Room Tip: Pick a lower floor room as when i visited the lifts did not work. wake up early for breakfast, it ru...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple