“MIC but much improved”

The Wesley Hotel & Conference Venue
Ranked #488 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I had stopped at the MIC a couple of years ago and was impressed by their non student rooms on the upper floors. This time they have refurbished all of the older rooms that I think where let on a longer term basis to international students.
The room allocated for 2 people was a standard double, the room was small but well furnished with an immaculate bathroom. The double bed was a 3/4 size so compact for 2 adults but for 1 night just acceptable.
Breakfast buffet OK

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ABRDF
Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have stayed at many hotels in the Euston area, seldom more than once for obvious reasons. On recommendation I tried the Wesley. The outside look of the hotel is not promising but the staff were just brilliant and the room was modern, well equipped , tasteful an spotless. Breakfast was a joy and the wifi was excellent. I also liked the ethical approach. I will definitely stay here often.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank KenCountyDown
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 1 week in November. I reserved superior room but it was somehow standard on record. I don't know what they finally charged me for but I was told it was standard even though I have been upgraded to deluxe. A bit of confusion.
Rooms are small but clean. Staff are extremely nice and helpful. Service in at breakfast in the morning is nice. One of the chef who serve fry egg is the outstanding staff I would rate.
The hotel is nearly full everyday and I can see most people are very happy with this hotel. It is value for money.

Room Tip: Book for a bigger room. Superior is just 10 more pounds per day.
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed here in November 2013 for 2 nights while attending a conference at the nearby British Library. My partner also stayed with me. As others have mentioned, this hotel used to be a Methodist church-affiliated hostel, but has recently been revamped as a 4-star hotel. I'm not 100% convinced that it meets 4* standard, but I was very pleasantly surprised, given some of the negative reviews I have read.

Our room was on the ground floor and furnished to a very high standard. The en suite was particularly nice with an excellent 'rain' shower (no bath). The bed was a small-ish double but extremely comfortable - I had a great night's sleep! You can hear the rumble of the underground every few minutes, so light sleepers may want to request a room on a higher floor, but it really didn't bother me at all and the tube doesn't run throughout the night (not yet anyway). Also in the room was a desk, small sofa and TV. The free WiFi was very welcome for business purposes, but was not good enough to stream TV/movies (see below comment about TV!).

We had only paid for the continental breakfast, but this was lovely - not just cereal and toast as I had expected, but also a nice selection of pastries, cold meats and cheeses, fresh fruits and yoghurt. I wouldn't have had room for a cooked breakfast as well (although it did look very nice)! One suggestion: since you have the option to pay extra for a cooked breakfast or not, it might make more sense to have the cooked food served a la carte rather than have everything buffet style? It's a bit odd to have the waiting staff tell you that you're not allowed to eat from certain stations and this would also save the staff having to patrol the room to make sure people are only eating the things they had paid for!

Overall I was impressed with the hotel, although I think it's quite expensive (I paid an average of £140 per night going via LateRooms.com). This didn't bother me as I could claim back on my expenses, but it would be too much if I was staying here for a holiday. I guess you are really paying for the excellent location, a very short walk to Euston station.

A few little niggles. Our room was in a kind of L-shape, which meant you couldn't watch TV from the bed. There was a small sofa facing the TV instead, but unfortunately it wasn't very comfortable for relaxing in. Also the chair provided for use with the desk was far too low to be able to comfortably use the desk, so I ended up taking my laptop over to the bed. Finally, apart from some flags high up on the exterior of the building, the hotel doesn't have signage saying "The Wesley" - the front doors still say "MIC Conference Centre" which is a bit confusing!!

To end on a high, I very much enjoyed the excellent assortment of complimentary biscuits in the room!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper you might want to consider a room on a higher floor as those on the groun...
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This is hotel what I can recommend!
My first impression was that this isn't looking for 4* hotel but entered a room I was really satisfied.
Great stay, close to stations, good breakfast. Room was really stylish but a little too small for double room, bed comfortable and a nice big bathroom with good shower....
Lovely hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank MadaraK
Reviewed November 29, 2013

My brother and I spent three days in London in early November. We were attending the end of season tennis in the O2. We stayed in The Wesley, formerly The Mic Hotel. The hotel was nearing the completion of a total refurbishment. It was a one minute walk away from Euston Station.
The beds were very comfortable and although the rooms were not spacious, they were clean and modern. All staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful, in particular James, Anna and Afzan at reception. Breakfast was included in our stay and we opted for the continental breakfast which was excellent. I would have no reservation in recommending this hotel to other visitors to the capital.

Room Tip: All rooms have been refurbished recently. This included secondary double glazing which means that th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank bigbigdon
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I booked this hotel only because of its location. I was aware that it might not be a great choice as some of the reviews are the result of emotional incontinence but I only had to survive one night. Now, I’d be relatively comfortable staying again. I checked in at 2pm the room was small but clean. Shower was great! Plenty clean fresh towels. Breakfast was great too. Plenty of choice. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. The comments about the layout of the reception and bar etc.. are all personal opinions and frankly of absolutely no importance to most people. The only problem I had was that I got one of the rooms that the air conditioning didn’t work in. The room was too hot but I switched it off and opened the window. I did complain and maybe somebody looked at it but it was still way too hot. This is what you get for this price in London. The following night I slept at the Radisson Blu, £310 per night and that’s what you get for that price in London!

Room Tip: make sure you have a window that opens.