“Terrible, claims and trys to be 4 star but its not ...”

The Wesley Hotel & Conference Venue
Ranked #494 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The wesley hotel use to be the MIC hotel and has undergone renovation. However it was only to half the hotel and unfortunately i got stuck in that portion. First the showers are not sealed properly so be careful not flood your bathroom, secondly the take poor attention to detail when cleaning. The mattresses are disgusting, the toilets are not properly cleaned especially underneath the seat. Also the grout is popping up in the bathroom.
Also hotel staff can be rude when part of our group tried to get something done about the condition of their room, considering they found pills all over it and hair on the mattress they refused to anything about it. In fact they were asked "what would you like us to do about it" which for a hotel with a 4 star rating is deplorable.
long story short i wont be staying at this hotel if i found myself in London again

Room Tip: The wesley hotel use to be the MIC hotel and has undergone renovation. However it was only to half t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank studenttraveler55
KAMAU1969, MD at The Wesley Hotel & Conference Venue, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear Studenttraveller55 from Denton, Texas,

Thank you for choosing TheWesley for your accommodation needs. Your alleagations are serious so I set to investigate them. We appreciate constructive criticism but as you can see from the other reviews, cleanliness is ticked as highest by majority. I have not been able to verify your claim. I can confidently say that we have an excellent housekeeping team and what you describe is unimaginable. I really do appeal to you to go on our website and if you have this evidence I would plead to see it so that I am not in denial and can resolve this once and for all.

We have changed the name to reflect our heritage. John Wesley began the Methodist social movement 3 centuries ago and managed to uplift the lives of those at the margin. Our profits are all gift-aided to support the education of students home and overseas.

Can I please persuade you to visit again and we promise to surprise you.

Every best Wish
John

Write a ReviewReviews (1,828)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have used the MIC (now The Wesley) for the last 4 years and always find it exactly as described by previous reviewers with the exception that the high prices charged are now not reflective of the accommodation offered. I agree that the breakfasts are great, location good for Euston and all the staff very friendly - but I do not expect to pay £200 per night for exactly the same room that I used to pay £110-£120 for! I honestly cannot see where the £3m renovation cost has been spent unless it is on the conferencing side of things? The carpets are already looking a bit shabby. It is a shame because at these rates they will have serious competition from other nearby hotels e.g. The Pullman (used to be The Novotel). It is a real shame because I love supporting Social Enterprises but sorry chaps not at this price!

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd floor if possible - it gets unbearably hot up there unless you are a fan of using air...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear JAP 25

Thank you for choosing TheWesley for your accommodation needs. We have changed the name to reflect our heritage. John Wesley began the Methodist social movement 3 centuries ago and managed to uplift the lives of those at the margin.

I am really sorry to hear that you found our prices higher than you have paid previously. We are the most competitive in term of prices within our set. Our improvement of the facility has been lauded by most guest and we are continuing to sort out every snag on the amenities to provide comfortable accommodation for our guests. Your feedback will certainly help in this respect.

It is a shame we did not get someone from our guest service to help you with cooling tech in your room. Please do come again and continue to support us and we promise not to disappoint you next time you visit.

Every best Wish

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Fantastic really happy I will be back it was perfect location I min walk from station .good quality breakfast the staff were more than nice and bonus traditional London pub across the road from hotel win win win .

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank 581DENISET
KAMAU1969, MD at The Wesley Hotel & Conference Venue, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Esteemed guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and posting such a positive review! I am extremely delighted that we exceeded your expectations. We have created in this space some of the most comfortable bedrooms rooms that compete favourably with five stars hotels in London. We have rooms in all sizes to give our guests a wide choice.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to offer you TheWesley brand of hospitality and letting the everyone know how much you enjoyed it. A social enterprise like ours thrives on the positive messages from people like yourselves.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

MD

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I had read the last few reviews prior to booking and am glad I went to see for myself, not sure what the last two reviewers were looking for but glad the reviewer "bambino" who gave it five stars left his comment.

It is what it is....a no frills, no fuss facility which I found to be spotlessly clean and the staff welcoming, pleasant and extremely helpful. The breakfast was good with someone cooking fresh pancakes and eggs as well as a cold and hot buffet of which you could select as much or as little as you wished.

Room, compact and bijou but as a single traveller on business it was clean, quiet and comfortable. Five minute walk from my conference venue and two minutes from the station but far enough away to be quiet.

It depends what you are looking for...on one previous review it would appear that the person was looking for a romantic get-away (of which this certainly isn't) so my suggestion to the previous reviewer would be to choose with more consideration. As I say, it is what it is.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the back which is a pedestrian area overlooking some offices but I do bel...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank joyv11
KAMAU1969, MD at The Wesley Hotel & Conference Venue, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Dear Joyv11 from Scotland

Many thanks for such a positive feedback. You do really get what TheWesley product is all about. We are an ethical hotel that provides great rooms at an affordable price and where all the food served is ethically sourced and leftovers environmentally disposed. We also giftaid every profit for the education of students who need support. We do not compromise on quality and continue to do everything to thrive as a centre of excellence. I am glad you do get!

Once again thanks!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I needed to stay in a hotel for one night in vicinity to the station, from which we were travelling and booked this hotel for a night. As I knew Euston area pretty well from my student days, I chose this hotel as they were offering a special offer inclusive of breakfast. As far as I remember, we booked a superier room with two beds rather than standard room with a hope that the room would provide extra comfort than what an average room would. It said in the website at the time that superior room was a larger room than the standard room, but the room that was offered to us wasn't even half of what they said. The room was on the ground floor facing a dodgy back street being ocassionally overlooked by curtain-twitching residents ( equally suspicious) on opposite side of the building block and very small with a double room in the corner. It just reminded me of the room I stayed at the hall of residence ( Univ. of London) as a student. I thought we could have stayed in some other larger hotel chains such as Mercure or Novotel for the same rate and possibly the room would have been larger than this and offered more privacy. Anyway I rated this hotel to be 'average' only on the merit that they did nonetheless offer good hearty breakfast. The staff at the restaurant were friendly and attentive. I got freshly cooked scrambled eggs. For reception service therer is a room for improvement. It was a bit chaotic when we arrived to check in and receptionist served us very quickly to move on to serve the next customer. We had difficulty in locating our room as the key card didn't clearly say which room number it was. When we were told to go through the corridor where our room was located,we ended up walking past the room we were supposed to go to as there was no light in the corridor and it was very narrow. Also the room we stayed in was right next to the lift, so we could hear constant noise from the corner where the lift was located all day and night. So overall for the amount of money we paid, it was a big disappointment that we didn't get the size of the room we deserved.

Room Tip: Avoid the room situated next to the lift if you wanted a quiet room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank musky999

Dear Esteemed Guest

Thank you for your feedback. I do wish to apologise for all the issues you have raised. It is obvious that we did not meet your expectation. I am struggling to know the room you have described. As you may see from the various other reviews, we provide some of the cleanest rooms in London and our staff are extremely professional. I would love to invite you back together with your husband for you to give us a second chance to impress you. I will also speak with our staff so that in case there were lapses in our standards, then we can rectify these.

Every best wish

Reviewed June 2, 2013

A very basic reception and street appeal. The staff were friendly on arrival but not very truthful when he said we could find the room service menu in my room.... The hotel does not do room service even though it is advertised with room service!!! Very large bed in a room that could probably do with a normal double. Comfy bed but a shame about the noisy air conditioning unit outside (room 217). Decor looks more suited to retail than a luxury hotel. No mirror in the bedroom. Dining room was more of a canteen... This for students/travellers rather than a luxury destination.

Room Tip: It is a little way out of town and not a romantic getaway ... Definitely no room service!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Deb c
KAMAU1969, MD at The Wesley Hotel & Conference Venue, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Deb

Thank you for your feedback. I am saddened that you did not find our hotel to your taste. You have mentioned that the staff were not truthful re room service. I would be happy if you can write to me directly so I know who the member of staff was. We value every guest and this will be a first time when this has happened. Any issues of integrity are taken very seriously and we would want to nip anything of that sort in the bud rightaway.

It would also appear that the air-con did not allow you to have good quality sleep. Again we have so many guests who find our hotel very quiet and we will check this immediately to ensure that it is corrected.

I will attempt to get in touch with you to discuss this further so that we can correct any issues you raised and hopefully invite you back to enjoy the kind of hospitality that most of our guests have enjoyed in what is the UK's first ethical hotel.

Every best wish

Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was my first stay at this hotel which sometimes fills me with a bit of dread! However, I needn't have worried-immaculately clean and superbly located around 100 yards from Euston station and therefore straight on the Northern line heading down to Leicester Square in about 10 minutes. A very warm welcome at the reception to allow me to check-in even though it was still before the official check-in time. Although my room was quite small, it was immaculately clean with everything newly kitted out. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever and I will definitely stay here. Breakfast the following day was absolutely superb and my rate included a continental breakfast which I upgraded for just 5 pounds to a full English! Very friendly staff, all extremely accommodating and polite. What a pleasure-now looking to establish a corporate rate/relationship with this hotel and I would definitely recommend it for those seeking somewhere secure, well located and most importantly perfect for business. I didn't actually use the Wi-Fi but I gather that it works perfectly throughout the entire hotel. Well done everyone

Room Tip: I would recommend requesting a room facing away from the main road as it's likely to be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bambino145

Esteemed guest

We have created in this space some of the most comfortable bedrooms rooms that compete favourably with five stars hotels in London. We have rooms in all sizes to give our guests a wide choice. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to offer you TheWesley hospitality and letting us and all our potential guests know how much you enjoyed it.

A social enterprise like ours thrives on the positive messages from people like yourselves. As you may have learnt from us during your stay, we are the first ethical hotel in the UK. What that means is that we aim to provide guests with what we promise, that is quality service and accommodation but also all our profits are gift-aided for the education of deserving students all over the world.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

MD