“This hotel is making an effort to provide decent budget accommodation”

Victor Hotel London Victoria
Ranked #592 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 26, 2012

The receptionist was quietly efficient and I checked-in and had my room key within a few minutes of arriving. The room was a basement room and was bigger than I expected although the decor and furnishings were a little 'tired'. The bathroom was compact and functional although the water pressure in the shower was impressive. The hotel is located in the heart of Pimlico and was an ideal location for me being close to work but only a few minutes walk from Victoria. Breakfast was adequate: cereals, fruit juice, fresh fruit, toast, tea or coffee.

I have given this a 4 star rating but I think that may be slightly over-rating it. All-in-all, a decent budget hotel and much better than some of its near neighbours.

Room Tip: Ask to view the room before you agree to pay
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank HarshButFair51

Reviewed March 16, 2012

POSITIVES: Staff friendly, location great, room adequate, hot water, towels, cleanISH. CHEAP

Negatives: Crayon and pencil on room walls, bathroom was tiny and if you were a bigger person you would have trouble getting in and out of the shower, on the bottom floor so had no view out of window and a lot of noise, bed hard and uncomfortable, heating on when and it was far too stuffy and finally the breakfast while nice it took 15 minutes to bring us warm croissants, my cup and saucer were filthy and when i asked for a clean one the waitress (who didn't speak english) took it with no apology and took 5 minutes to fetch me a clean one!! When we left our room we noticed a waitress sat on the kitchen side that they use to prepare the toast etc.

I wouldn't go here again unless some changes were made.

Room Tip: Overnight stay!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2012

People are complaining about room size, etc etc - but in London, hotels are an expensive rip-off period - for a tiny room with basic TV channels (hopefully this will have to change after the digital switchover). In terms of looking at this hotel compared to others I have stayed in for the same price range, its fine. The rooms are actually quite big compared to some in Bloomsbury, free wifi, decent bathroom...

You can pay quite a bit more and stay in the Comfort Inn down the road, but you might not get so much more for your money (although CI is a good choice too).

I was on the top floor - be warned, there is no lift!!! But at least the rooms upstairs are probably quieter.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank senti2comun
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I am having a tough time choosing the right words to describe this.

I guess, if you are from the US and are used to space, free toiletries, a big breakfast, cable channels on your tv even from the cheapest hotels, this might disappoint. I stayed there one night and it provided me with the essentials to get through the night, but absolutely nothing more. Very cramped, only one person can fit in the stairway at one time, but I get the impression that this is the case with all the hotels on that side of the city. These are older townhouses that were made into hotels.

The breakfast was hot croissants, coffee...quite nice, but the dining room was tiny as the rest of the building. The staff was nice, they let me leave my luggage there before check in and after. All in all, it was ok but nothing to rave about.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank world t
Reviewed February 4, 2012

All boys at receptionist were very friendly and tried to help us with all our questions, even they didn't knew the answer. We had a room in -1 floor, next to the dining room. It was a bit noisy, because early in the morning we heard people who prepared breakfast walking. Breakfast was great. We could choose between toasts and croasants. Croasants were really great! Towels were changed daily. We chose this hotel, because it is in really quiet street, but not very far from attractions.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I agree with the main drawbacks mentioned here - small rooms, small beds, thin walls, old decorations, basic breakfast.

However, I'm giving it 4 out of 5 because I really feel you get what you pay for. It's on a beautiful, grand, quiet street right in central London - I walked to Buckingham Palace at night in about 20 minutes, and Victoria Station is 5-7 minutes' walk away. That's great if you need to get the Gatwick Express early in the morning, as I did.

I've stayed here twice, and got a significantly better deal using booking.com than calling reception.

There are supermarkets and plenty of good restaurants within easy range.

Staff seemed fine, but I didn't need to ask them for anything in particular. I overslept and vacated the room almost an hour after check-out time, and no one kicked up a fuss. So extra marks for that.

Wi-Fi is fast and reliable. Good enough for a long Skype chat, which is always my litmus test.

I can see that some of the negative reviewers have valid points, but I really don't think you can do much better in central London for this price. If I'm wrong, I'd love to know where. Until then, I think I'll keep going back to this place.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank GarryOwen78
Reviewed January 13, 2012

This hotel...was the worst choice we made in the entire trip! I give 2 stars, because the staff was friendly and helpful, and the location is relatively convenient. But never again! The double room was pretty rundown, with wallpaper half tore, the worst part of all was there was dark stain on the sheet (suspect to be dry blood)...We paid 69 pounds/night, it's cheap, but come on, for a self-claimed 3 star hotel? I thought they could do better than that!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple