“So-So” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avni Hotel At Courtfield

We can't find prices for this hotel
Avni Hotel At Courtfield
Ranked #1,029 of 1,087 Hotels in London
British Columbia
“So-So”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2008

Smallest room I have ever seen in my life! No room for the suitcases. No security on our ground floor window, not that we were robbed but it disturbs your peace of mind. The blinds were broken. We had great warm weather while we were there which was great in general but in the hotel room there was no air conditioning and the front desk did not have any fans. We had to go and buy one...so they should have one now! I will say that the room was kept clean and well stocked. The continental breakfast was great! They had: 3-4 varieties of cereal, toast, preserves, fruit, cheese, yogourt, croissants or buns, juice, milk, tea and coffee. The room did have a safe which was nice to put our passports in. TV only had 4 channels. The bathroom was very small with a pedastal sink, stand-up shower and toilet. There was no place to keep your toiletries. No internet facilities. Though there was a cheap enough place just up the road. I would stay here again if I was going solo, but not with another person - it is just too small.

• Liked — The continental breakfast.
  • Disliked — Small room.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends

Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2008

I stayed here with my mother for about a week when we visited London last April. We arrived at about 10 in the morning from the airport, check in wasn't until two but they tried their best to get us a room as soon as possible... I didn't have a good impression of them then, but it was my first time in London and I was tired and cranky so that's probably why. The room was clean, small but that is probably to be expected in that area of London. Everything seemed up to date, I got a good sleep, had some breakfast (served downstairs, continental) and went off to explore London. The closest tube station to the hotel is Gloucester (literally down the street), and shopping on Oxford street, museums, everything, were only a few minutes away so it was a great location. We would return, and a New Zealander in the lobby let us use his laptop, which was nice and I felt comfortable with the people who worked there as well.

Most of the recent reviews so far seem bad, so maybe it has changed. I'm not too sure. I'm sure that if you are polite and not too uptight with the staff members than they will give you the same treatment. As for the temperature and the lighting and noise, it definitely was not as bad as other people have said, not in my room anyway. We did change rooms though once, because it wasn't smoke free and my mum is sensitive to that stuff, but it didn't seem to be a problem... they even offered us a bigger room later on in the week.

• Liked — Location!
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2008

I booked this hotel thinking it would be a nice, affordable place in a great area. I knew the rooms would be small but I didn't mind.

I actually stayed here over a two week period, broken up by a brief trip outside of London.

During the first part of the stay, I was put into a first floor room. The room was roasting hot (even though this was at the end of September and the weather was starting to cool). The ceiling light above the bed was partly to blame, I think, as it was extremely bright. Unfortunately I had to leave the light on as it was the only one in the room other than a dim Ikea table lamp. The television's cable did not work AT ALL, and they did little to fix it except to wiggle the cable and reset the reception settings for the hotel. It would have been nice to have seen the morning news to find out the weather forecast and Tube delays! The shower would leak onto the floor.

For the second part of my stay, I was placed into a room on the 3rd floor. This room was cool, thankfully. Probably because the light above the bed didn't work. The TV worked fine in here. The shower door would not close properly so either you left it partially open or you managed to jam it so that you had to practically break the door to get out. Horrible layout of bathroom - the shower door kept hitting the toilet. The hot water would sometimes run out if you waited too late in the evening to take a shower. The power went out a couple of times during the evening, without any explanation from the staff. Couldn't get the radiator to work one day when it became very chilly outside; the staff member who came up to fix it didn't really know what he was doing. Requested someone to open the room safe more than once as it wasn't open when we entered the room, but no one ever showed up when we called.

Staff vary from somewhat helpful to "I don't care what your problem is." You can check out and keep your luggage there, but it will be left in an open area of the lobby and unless you lock it to the bannister or a table, there is no guarantee that it will not walk away as someone won't always be there all the time to watch it.

The positives - fantastic, fantastic location near two tube stations and many restaurants, as well as grocery stores, but I wish I had gone to one of the other hotels nearby like base2stay. Neighbourhood is quiet as it's a few blocks away from the noisier main streets. Beds were comfortable, if a bit narrow. Rooms were clean, however there seems to be only one maid for the whole hotel and if the poor woman was busy changing all the rooms for new guests then your room was last on her list. Discovered that she washed our room's dishes in the bathroom sink, without any dishwashing soap. Breakfasts were basic (toast, fruit, juices, tea, coffee, yogurt, horrible croissants), and was a nice way to have a quick bite and save a bit of money before starting the day. Saw people using the wireless internet on their own laptops, but you have to sit in the lobby to do so.

Basically, this place is one step up from a hostel but not a very far step.

• Liked — Just the location
  • Disliked — Almost everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank anonymoose

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Brussels
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2008

room 401: terrible

This hotel doesn't deserve more than 1 or 1.5 *

- a very small room, while a medium-sized room is mentioned (on the room door was hanging a floor map where our room is mentioned as a single room)
- a very hot room (32°C) even tough the central-heating was turned off (impossible to open the window to ventilate the room) – Heating is going though walls with no way to control it
- no curtain at the window (nice to wake up at 7am every day due to the heating and the day light while you are on holiday)
- the TV cable was cut so impossible to watch TV and the guy at the reception desk just said it won’t be possible to fix it before we leave
- really small bathroom (impossible to stand next to each other due to the tiny size of the bathroom
- small bed (1.80m)
- no cap in the sink
- no view out of the window (opaque window)
- no light bulb at one side of the bed

Some positive things though: rooms are clean, breakfast is good and situation is great.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — nearly everything
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2008

I stayed at the Avni hotel in February 2008 as I thought it was a cheap and convenient way to stay in London and visit friends in the area - however I quickly realised I was mistaken:

1) the room was small, freezing cold and the heating did not work
2) when I moved the bed 10 cm to one side to be close to a lamp (only one lamp in the room which was very dark) there was so much dirt under the table (would be to impolite to describe what it was).
3) I could not lock the door to my room (on ground floor so very uncomforting)
4) the front desk staff and the manager (Sunil) were extremely rude and unhelpful when I asked about the possibility of getting another room (which I did not get).
5) I checked out one day in advance and despite giving notice they still charged me.

All in all a very unpleasant experience which I would not recommend to anyone. Their cancellation charging practices are also unethical and I wish to see them out of business soon.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2008

Athough it might seem like an economical choice, I would highly suggest staying somewhere else- Here is a detailed list of the issues:

- Front desk was highly disorganiized, they were rude, and missed wake-up calls. Each person seemed to have a different answer, and were not professional or welcoming- AT ALL!!
- The walls are paper thin and you can hear EVERYTHING that the people staying next to you and above you are doing
- Bathroom was dingy, extremely cramped, and toilet was nearly non-functional.
- VERY, VERY SMALL
- The safe was "running low on battery" so we could not store our valuables in it.
- I cannot stress enough how awful it was to TRY to sleep there, I hear every step the person above us took, every creek of the bed, and heard every word from the tv across the hall.

I have NOOO idea how this hotel got a review higher than a 1, and even though our hotel was miserable it couldnt ruin my trip- book another hotel- I recommend the Kensignton Gardens Hotel- which we moved to after a few night as the Avni.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Gloucestershire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2008

We stayed here for one night and that was more than enough. Our first room (101) curtain was missing, the TV was wired illegally. The front desk, was rude and disorgansed. Our second room (304) was a little better but had no key so we had to be let in and out by staff. The heating was far to hot. The bed side lamp was broken, so if you reached for it you cut yourself. We fixed this for them by thowing it out. There was previous occupants hair everywhere and the flooring was not fitted properly. The bed was itchy and uncomfortable. Breakfast room/bar was damp, with peeling paint and very poor service.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple