“Great Location, good value”
Review of Jesmond Hotel

Jesmond Hotel
Ranked #21 of 554 London B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Location, good value”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The proximity of Euston and Goodge stations are very convenient-just a few minutes walk but a quiet street overall. The room was clean and comfortable. I liked that only a few rooms were on each landing-you didn't have a whole hotel's worth of people passing by all night! The breakfast was delicious. The wifi was free and worked very well. The water was very hot in the shower, which was a big plus for my husband. It is relatively bare-bones, but for the price and location, I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
TUSTIN, CA
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Location: Within 25 feet walk of bus stop on Gower Street (Chenies St bus stop #D), and it is a bus stop serviced by several bus routes, making Jesmond practically centrally located and an excellent point on a route. Also, it is only a quarter mile away from the Goodge Street Underground Station, making for quick access to the Northern Line train. Gower Street is busy during the daytime with bus and taxi traffic, but is amazingly quiet and near empty after 8pm until about 8am.

Staff: They were pleasant, and answered my questions satisfactorily. I needed postcards and the location of a postbox, and they directed me to the nearest news agent (newsstand) and post office box.

Breakfast: Full English breakfast: My plate contained: Baked beans, three broiled, whole cherry tomatoes, two thick bacon slices, one fried egg, 2 white and 2 brown slices of toast. I asked for coffee (instead of tea). On the buffet are several juices, cereals, fresh fruits, slab of cheese (you slice to your preference), condiments and spreads. As I am an early riser and eat slowly and heartily, breakfast hours of 0730 - 0900 suited me. Breakfast service was fast, with no wait time.

Breakfast crowd: FULL HOUSE. As many tables as there were in the breakfast room, the hotel was fully booked on my 1-nite stay, and everyone decided to have breakfast. I had to vacate my table and go to the computer table to finish writing my postcard.

Room: Mine was Room 7, facing Gower Street. I slept like a log. The windows have been retro'd to have double glass panes, and this made a world of a difference. The noise level jumped dramatically when I experimented with opening the second window pane to simulate a single-pane window. In my online reservation, I asked for 2 twin beds. Owing to the long, narrow dimension of the room, these were arranged in an inverted "L", and I chose to sleep on the one against the window. The walls were insulated enough that I did not feel the outside cold through the wall. Nice white, sheer curtains lent soft light into the room, and the heavy blackout curtains muted any residual noise that might have seeped throught the double panes. Room was clearly "reconfigured" from its original construction as it was long (making it spacious) but narrow. The non-operational fireplace in the room is big, so this must've been a drawing room in its previous life.

Room Amenities: I didn't use the radiator heater, as the room temp was just right for me (around 75F). The small TV on the the fireplace mantle worked, but the remote's buttons didn't work 100% of the time; I've had to walk up to the TV to turn it off. It may be time to replace it, or check the batteries. Standard coffee, tea, sugar, cup/saucer/spoon, and heating pot were in the room, as is a clothes alcove by the entry door to stow my luggage and hang clothes. Room lighting is sufficient, and allowed for easy reading and doing other things in the evening.

En-suite Bathroom: HUGE, lengthwise. You clearly will take steps to get from the toilet to the shower stall, which itself is roomy. They provide liquid handsoap at the sink and face towel (flannel), but bring your own shampoo and conditioner, and shower gel. Nice touch with the face towel, as not all the B&B's I stayed in provide it. As a traveler from the U.S., I find that the bathroom size is what I am accustomed to. The bathroom was immaculate and fixtures do not have rusting or stains. The staff comes for housekeeping daily and replacing towels, so they must notice that the toilet flush need to be looked at by a plumber. It was not creating vacuum to push the water from the tank to the bowl....basically, the toilet did not flush. Luckily, there were shared facilities in the premises. Also, there is an off, sewer-like smell which I suspect emanates from the drains. Again, another item for the plumber. I only stayed overnight, and didn't have time to bring these to the staff's attention.

If not for the bathroom issues that I noted above, I would rate this property "4-stars". Would recommend to anyone looking for a centrally-located lodging in London.

Room Tip: Rooms on from the first floor (US equiv: 2nd floor) and higher, even if they face Gower Street are...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LGBATMAZ
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Jesmond for 8 nights on our first trip to England. We selected this hotel because I had researched Trip Advisor and got a recommendation in one of my travel books. I was expecting a much smaller room then we actually got, but perhaps our room was bigger because we elected to pay more for a private bathroom. Our room was also on the bottom floor. The downside to being on the bottom floor is you hear all of the foot traffic from the rooms upstairs and you hear the staff setting up for breakfast ( Our room was right next door). We had very noisy neighbors who came in late every night and decided to take showers between 12-1am. Not conducive to adjusting your sleep schedule to London time (that's not the fault of the hotel). They provided full English breakfast each morning with hours that did not require you to get up at the crack of dawn. When I discovered that I had bought the wrong eletrical adapter and inquired where I could buy one in the neighborhood the staff very kindly let me borrow an adapter for my entire stay. They also helped us with arranging transportation when we left. For the convenient location, breakfast availablility and price of the hotel it was a very pleasant experience. The only thing I would change if I stayed there again was asking for an upstairs room.

Room Tip: If you want a private bathroom see if you can get an upstairs room, otherwise you will hear all of t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is a bed & breakfast, not a hotel, and has no hotel amenities. On the upside: the room was clean, the breakfast was good, the price was good for London, and it was quite well sited. The staff were friendly and helpful too. On the downside - it is very run-down and worn - rusted fixtures in the bathroom, cupboard doors that hang open, everything is old (not in a good way). The bathroom was impossibly small (had to open the door to dry myself. Generally it is crummy - a place to sleep and get breakfast, do not expect more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Doug W
Jesmond-Hotel, Manager at Jesmond Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Hello “Doug W”,
Can I thank you for the positive comments that you make, and also say that I am very sorry to hear of the negative aspects of your stay, which you comment on.
In response to the first issue, the “Not a Hotel” tagline. We advertise ourselves in all of our literature as Jesmond Hotel - A Bloomsbury Bed and Breakfast. We appreciate that we do not offer the same facilities as large hotels in London, but we do offer what we feel is excellent value for money in the very centre of one of the world’s biggest cities. You can also find out about all of our amenities on our website before making a reservation. You may also notice that we are ranked in the B&B and Inns section of Tripadvisor, not their hotel section.
The second issue of the general standard of the rooms, and your assertions around that are ones by which I am surprised. We regularly maintain our rooms, replace furniture, re-decorate, and of course clean our bathrooms on a daily basis. If any of your issues had been brought to my, or any of my staff’s attention during your stay I am certain that we could have corrected any of the issues that you raised at once. We take great pride in our cleanliness and general upkeep of our rooms and building. That said, I have personally checked the room you stayed in for the cupboard door that you claim is an issue, the cupboard door in your room functions well. I also checked for any rusted bathroom fittings. I have found that the two soap holders in the shower in your room were rusty, something for which I sincerely apologise. This is not acceptable, and should not have been allowed to happen over time, They have been immediately replaced.
Our bathrooms are compact. We do not try and hide that fact, however we disagree with you that you “could not dry yourself” in them. They are a small en-suite shower room and toilet designed to be functional.
We are sorry that your impression of our bed and breakfast hotel has not been a good one, however, as you yourself say we are “a place to sleep and get breakfast”. We would disagree with the second part of your statement, “do not expect more”. Our facilities are limited in terms of what we can provide, however the majority of our guests are in London to explore, and we feel that we do offer more as a friendly, family run B&B hotel who offer knowledge of the area, and a safe, clean, warm environment to stay after spending the majority of the day out in our great city
May I finally sincerely apologise if the negative aspects of your stay with us impacted on your holiday in London. We hope that all of our guests enjoy their stay, which then leads to a more pleasant time in London generally.
Yours sincerely,
Mr Glyn Beynon
West Midlands
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed in London for a few days and chose the Jesmond for its location and price. Booked a standard room. Shared facilities comprised separate shower, bath, and two WCs. All spotlessly clean. Found the staff on duty to be friendly and helpful. I had one query which was resolved instantly and cheerfully. My room overlooked Gower Street but the road noise even with the window open wasn't too bad. Breakfast was modest but nicely cooked and well set out. No problem in recommending the Jesmond to a budget traveller and I would book again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here for three nights and walked to everything. The breakfasts were made to order, hot, fresh and served with a smile! The building is not new, and the shower in the basement room only had HOT water, but they were trying to fix it. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The weather was a little warm so they quickly found a fan for us to use. We felt safe and there was very little noise considering we were just a few blocks from the British Museum and British Library. You can walk to all kinds of nearby restaurants feeling safe. The staff also helped us find transportation to the airport that was about $40.00 less than other advertised method. The beds and bathrooms were clean, though the bathrooms were tiny. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Basement room larger (can sleep 3 or 4) and next to breakfast area (great for me since I have bad kn...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Calgary
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is a family run hotel, where everyone is friendly. We loved the location, as it is across the street from a bus stop that can take you just about anywhere you want to go. The breakfasts were all full English breakfast which gets a bit tiring after 7 days, but still good tasting.
No elevator, but the exercise was good. We were in a rear-facing room which is quiet (other reviews mentioned this, so we asked and got one.)
We compared prices very carefully and this place really does offer the most for a reasonably cheap price. There were cheaper dives available, but for good quality this was the best.

Room Tip: Request rear rooms, overlooking garden
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business