“Great spot, lots of history, lousy food and service”

The Dove at Hammersmith
Ranked #57 of 1,284 Nightlife in London
More attraction details
Owner description: A charming, much-loved pub with incredible history, The Dove has been a fixture of London life for centuries. Set right on the River Thames, it's the best pub in Hammersmith for great atmosphere, wonderful fresh food and, of course, a quenching pint of ale.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great spot, lots of history, lousy food and service”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We have been going to this pub for years which has always been an old favourite of ours. We hadn't been for a year (new baby), but when we went today for a Sunday roast the food was over-cooked, cold and took 15 mins to order and 30 mins to come. We ate it in 30 mins, then tried to order some ice cream for pudding only to be told that we couldn't have any as they needed the table in 10 mins.

It then transpired they ram in 3 sittings for Sunday lunch, which is ridiculous, and to make it worse hadn't even bothered to tell us.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank DiscerningDiner77
Ray M, Manager at The Dove at Hammersmith, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear DiscerningDiner77

May we take this opportunity to publicly apologize for your rushed Sunday service. I think you hit the nail on the head when you finished off with not being informed over Sunday booking procedures. 99% of the time we are a lot better with clear communication from the outset and thus upon confirming the booking, your expectations would have been met.

Sundays are usually a very in demand day as the small space we have to offer normally gets a lot of enquiries, so about 18 months ago we took the decision to stagger bookings throughout the day so areas don’t become crowded with people stranding and waiting for a table to come free. This, as with everything has it’s ups and downs but historically now we have managed to make the Sunday customer experience one of the best in the area.

As a manager, however it is my minimum expectation for my kitchen and floor staff to keep service and quality levels to a maximum and therefor I apologize this wasn’t met with your slow order and less and the perfect food. I invite you to contact me at the pub to discuss a way we can redeem ourselves and help do our best to make every customer leave happy.
Regards
Matt England

• Korean first
London
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Worth the walk. Good sunday roast. Traditional old pub”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

In the middle of the hammersmith stretch of the Thames. Three section - very old front bar / fire (canot book those tables) - mid section , restaurant - about 8 tables, and then outside / conservatory . The tables you can reserve, can have up to 3 sittings at peak periods. I had a sunday roast and there was a 1245 / 2 / 330 booking. I was on the first sitting, and felt completely rushes through. Under 5 minute gap for a main corse after starter plate cleared, and constantly asked, not if things were ok, but if I wanted anything else! I've been here on and off for 10 years. I'd still take my folks here. I like sitting in the front section if I just want to sit and read the papers, and maybe chat to some other locals. It's a good spot. Not for little kids / buggies / young families/ . Too small.

Also nice - the black lion, further west. Next - the blue anchor, near hammersmith bridge or the bridge pub , over the hammersmith bidge . Wouldn't bother with the rutland or the old ship, unless you like a chain / sticky table sort of places.....

Visited March 2013
1 Thank ClareCHS
Augsburg, Germany
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Nice place”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had some beers & spirits there. This was absolutely not the best beer of my life, but at least it was a local product. The terasse with the view on the river is a perfect spot if not raining

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Antonio P
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Rubbish food, but good little pub. Needs new management.”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Food is reheated faff. One or two members of staff are a little uncouth and bewilderingly arrogant, the rest are really nice and helpful (and polite). Come here for a nice view and a bit of history, but don't expect too much from the kitchen...

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Benjamin J
London, United Kingdom
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“The dove is a great little pub on the Thames”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The dove is a great little pub on the Thames – we walked down from Hammersmith and it was a great walk.

You have to reserve a table for dinner or expect to wait. We went Wednesday night and it was full there was 5 of us – i took my relatives who were visiting >60 years old SO,

It’s quite noisy as the sound of everyone resonates so not really the place if you don’t want to yell at each other to have a conversation inside. If you don’t want to strain to hear make sure you reserve a table that is outside in the covered area.

One of the tables we were seated at was wobbly which was annoying and the waitresses weren’t that friendly – as other reviewers to make them out to be. Wasn’t that impressed.

The food was great; good English pub food.

So in summary, a good pub to have plenty of drinks and something to eat with friends perhaps on a sunny day outside or with the fire on inside.

Visited August 2013