Review Highlights

from $117.40
from $80.90
from $118.70
More Info
All reviews curious incident of the dog great play grand circle dress circle sam mendes shaftesbury avenue restricted view excellent production row f front of house front row plenty of leg room west end box office stole the show standing ovation great seats
Reviewed 3 days ago

I really enjoyed the show, the scenery was absolutely amazing.The cast were fantastic. I would recommend this show, maybe not for children. A must see show.

Reviewed 4 days ago

This is a clever a & witty revival & lead Rosalie Craig & Patti LuPone are both excellent in their roles, but for me it dragged on & failed to tickle me in the way it did many others.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Named after legendary British stage actor Sir John Gielgud, this West End theatre is steeped in history. It first opened to the public in 1906 (as the Hicks Theatre) and is only slightly younger than the oldest living human on earth (Kane Tanaka, born in 1903).

I came to see Sam Mendes Olivier Award winning production of the play “The Ferryman” in May 2018 (which subsequently transferred to Broadway) but the Gielgud also hosts Musicals including most recently Stephen Sondheim’s “Company”.

The theatre is a relatively short walk from Piccadilly Circus tube stations and has three tiers and seats just under 1,000. I really enjoyed looking at the old playbills and pictures of past productions and star performers from decades ago that are placed around the foyer outside the theatre. There is a caricature of Gielgud as Macbeth from 1930 and a flyer for “Private Lives” which he directed for example. This old theatre is really quite something.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The production of Company here is a must-see. The gender-switched cast is excellent and while I purchased the cheapest "highly restricted view" tickets I would still highly recommend it. The view was truly great for the price and the show was so amazing. No complaints about my experience!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Gielgud Theatre is a really nicely kept theatre. The seats were comfy and we had plenty of leg room and a great view sitting on row f of the upper circle. We went to see Company. Our first Stephen Sondheim. That and the fact Patti Lupone was in it were our reasons for booking in September last year, 13 months previous. The show was brilliant and worked so well with the gender changes. It was full of brilliant songs, amazing characters and a brilliant set, very reminiscent of another show directed by marianne Elliot, a curious incident of the dog in the night time. All actors were brilliant and were given extended applause. We waited over two hours after the show for autographs and were rewarded with the whole class, but it was cold! If you want to see a funny and brilliant show, with a Stella cast then this is an absolute must. It has been extended and now there is talk of a cast cd. Fingers crossed!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My first time to one of the theatres on Shaftsbury Avenue. Very easy to access from the Picadilly Circus tube station. A number of nearby dining options from budget to champagne tastes. Staff is helpful and kind - also clever. When they check your bag, security puts a tag around the strap, so if you step out for some reason, you don't have to have your bag checked again. As for the theatre itself, it is on the small side (seats less than 1000), but the auditorium is a beautiful little jewel box. Darling little box seats for two on the side of the house, ivory and gold plaster work, and a lovely dome with crystal chandelier. I was seated in the second row of the stalls both nights that I went to see Company. Although they look as if they are original to the house, the seats are comfy, and the rows are spaced so that you don't feel crowded with the row in front of you. The configuration of the ladies room down there is awkward - that door bumps into the auditorium door.

Now - for the show itself. RUN! Don't walk - do whatever you need to do to get a ticket. This is musical theatre at its very best. The gender swap works. Bobbie is so relatable to any woman who has found herself over 30 and unmarried! The pressure to couple up! Sondheim has reworked some of the lyrics/book but the majority of the score is the same. The update is in the club scene, and hearing the Bobbie theme house/trance style was actually pretty cool. Rosalie Craig made a convincing Bobbie, and her rendition of Someone is Waiting was absolutely lovely. The scene stealers are Patti Lupone, who fills and runs away with Elaine Stritch's shoes as Joanne, the caustic truth teller, and also Jonathan Bailey who plays the gender swapped "bride" with cold feet, Jamie. Not Getting Married Today brought down the house at both performances. He had himself so worked up, he was sweating buckets. Special cudos to Daisy Maywood as the priest who materializes out of the most unexpected locations possible during Jamie's fevered performance. George Blagdon, of Versailles fame, plays the slimiest of Bobbie's suitors and Richard Fleeshman as flight attendant Andy is the definition of a "himbo," albeit sweet. My favorite Phantom, Ben Lewis, is now playing Joann's understanding and kind husband Larry, and watch stage right at the end of Side by Side, because he has one of the funniest bits of visual business moving a prop number off the stage. Blink and you'll miss it. The sets are amazing, the staging is all rather Alice-in-Wonderland-ish, and the cast is perfect. This is an adult show (there is simulated sex at one point) with sophisticated themes and observations, so this is NOT a show to introduce the kiddies to musical theatre. I went two nights of the first week of "official" performances after the opening night, and I was surrounded by Americans who love Sondheim and Patti Lupone. She slays it, my darling Ben is great, and it was well worth the jet lag, time, and expense to fly 5500 miles to see the show twice. They have been extended through March 30th, so plan ahead, do yourself a favor and get tickets for more than one performance. This is THE theatrical event of the season in London - absolutely hottest ticket in town!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I purchased my tickets with some apprehension. I have great memories of the last revival at The Donmar, which starred the brilliant Adrian Lester. Moreover, at just under £80 per person for so-so stalls seats, I thought it had to be good. Well, it was not just good, it was great! The cast overall was strong, although Bobby does not have the best voice in the world. The staging was extremely clever and the swopping of genders from the original really worked well. Top marks go to the diva of Broadway, Patti Lupone, as well as the guys who played Jamie and Andy were outstanding! You will leave the theatre feeling full of joy!

Reviewed October 13, 2018

An updated re-working of Sondheim’s Company changing the lead from masculine to feminine is outstanding clever and works wonderfully well. Rosalie Craig as “Bobbie”, the theatrical legend that is Patti Lupone as “Joanne” and Jonathan Bailey as “Jamie” ( not forgetting Mel Geidroyc as “Sarah”) are simply a marvel. It seems churlish to select any performance but “Jamie’s” - “Getting married today” had tears rolling down my cheeks it was hilarious and brought the house down. New up-dated dialogue for today makes it just as relevant as when it was 1st produced. DON”T MISS IT it is exceptional with all the cast on point. Minor moan - I found the sets a tad clumsy and a distraction.

Reviewed October 6, 2018

The show was outstanding! I would put it near the top of the shows we've seen - and we've seen a ton!

Reviewed October 1, 2018

We hadn't been to this theatre, since my husband became disabled, so we didn't know what to expect. We arrived and asked for an Access entrance. We were asked to wait for the Access Host and when he arrived he was most charming. He checked if my husband could manage three steps, which were all there were to our seats, in the front of the Circle. He also explained about the disabled toilet facilities and where the bars were etc.

We really enjoyed the show, Company and knowing someone was looking after us and that Delfont have an Access Host makes this a great experience.

1  Thank sa1gon