Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences
galahotels.com
$288
$279
1,705 results
All reviewsbedroom suitefull kitchenwasher dryerquilon restaurantjames parkconcierge teamhome away from homest jamesevery eveningroom servicenespresso machineturn down servicewonderful hotelwonderful stayvictoria stationbig bengreen park
Reviewed March 3, 2011

On the positive
The location of the hotel is fantastic. We came with the children to do the main tourist sites and it was a great base for the Museums, Buckingham Palace, House of Parliament, London eye etc.
We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite and for a family the accommodation was perfect. Compact bedrooms but well provisioned kitchen and good size living room.
Room service was also great and decent value with especially good food from Quilon.
The Hamley's package we'd booked had great "party" bags for the children and the cot we'd pre-arranged was nicely set up and included a lovely teddy bear for our daughter
Generally fast, friendly service

The slight negatives ( and I do mean slight) are with regard to service, nothing major but a few niggles that you don't expect from a hotel positioning itself as 5* luxury. Few examples are;
The hotel is promoting a "butler" concept. From previous experience you would expect the butler to be your liaison with everything at the hotel and look after all aspects of your stay this didn't really work out.
Each morning we came down for breakfast it seemed to be a surprise and a table had to be put together especially for us ( party of 4 + baby).
One morning there were problems in the restaurant which meant breakfast wasn't served, easy solution would have been for the butler to contact us and offer room service but again our arrival was a surprise and it took quite a while to find us a table at the adjoining hotel.
We'd booked a package which included a trip to Hamleys but transport hadn't been arranged. The solution was to take a taxi and get receipts for a refund. No problem with this but you expect it to have been organised.
Also can’t believe that a hotel of this standard feels it necessary to charge for Wifi

Would definitely stay again as the positives far outweighed the negatives but be interesting to see if the execution gets slicker

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lolmarlor
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday night. It was ideal as it was only a ten minute walk to the Apollo Victoria Theatre. I highly recommend 51 Buckingham Gate for it's outstanding staff and attention to detail. Nothing is too much trouble for them.

We received a warm welcome and a smooth check in upon arrival. James showed us around our suite, which was well appointed and helpfully pointed out it's features. We ordered a free DVD (£20 deposit refunded on departure) from the vast library that they have and both the DVD an complimentary popcorn and soft drinks were delivered directly to our room. I ordered some ice on a separate occasion and it was delivered within minutes. Before leaving for the theatre in the evening, we were invited to enjoy complimentary drinks in the library which offered a very cozy setting in which to relax. Upon our return from the theatre, the staff were in the lobby to great us and enquired as to whether we had enjoyed a pleasant evening.

Thank you to all staff a 51 Buckingham Gate for providing us with such a pleasant stay. We plan to stay with you again when we plan another trip to London.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Just had a one night stay at this hotel. The service was out of this world and the attention to detail is stunning. I have never felt so valued as a guest anywhere in my life, nothing was too much trouble and we even got a complimentary upgrade.

To every other hotel out there.... This is the benchmark, awesome. If I could give it more than five stars I would!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I booked in for a Saturday night stay for two at 51 Buckingham Gate on their Valentine package. This was after spending a truly inordinate period of time searching for a hotel which was able to offer a decent spa (for the lady), luxurious accommodation and high quality cuisine. Whilst there seemed to be many options for this in and around London, I found (at least from their Trip Advisor reviews) that nearly all of them failed to deliver the consistently high level of service which they promised. When I came across the reviews of 51 Buckingham Gate I was cautiously optimistic but also deeply suspicious. However, I decided to take the plunge based on the fact that at least 90% of Trip Advisor reviewers rated it as Very Good or Excellent. In reality though, I suspected that the reviews would be “too good to be true” and was managing my expectations to avoid being disappointed.

Thankfully, I can say that our stay not only met, but far exceeded our expectations. The service truly was 5 star in all respects. The room (a junior suite – the standard room) was very spacious and tastefully decorated. It didn't have much of a view but if that was important to us I'm sure we could have changed rooms. Of particular note was the willingness of the hotel to accommodate a very early check-in (10.30am) and a late check-out (2pm) without any fuss whatsoever which I was particularly pleased with. Also, the personal “butler” who was on hand to welcome us to our room was sincere and warm in her hospitality. My other half made use of various spa treatments and I am told they were of a very good quality for London standards. As for the Valentine package we were on – all elements of this were delivered in a suitably tasteful manner – champagne on arrival, afternoon cocktails and sandwiches, an absolutely fantastic dinner at the Michelin starred Quilon restaurant next door and a “romantic” turndown! I can absolutely recommend the authentic cuisine at Quilon and will most definitely return there. The hotel also offers complimentary drinks and canapés for all residents each evening which is a nice touch and a great way to work up to dinner.

All in all, the stay left us feeling relaxed, refreshed and very sad to leave. And that was only after one day and night! This reflects the fact that all hotel staff we met maintained the very highest levels of customer service, something which I am discovering is a feature of the Taj brand.

A very happy customer indeed.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lonereviewer
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Henceforth this will be my preferred hotel in London. It is not a typical hotel – just amazing bliss away from home. After 10 hours long haul flight and expensive taxi ride from Heathrow I arrived at 51 at 8pm. The reception was clean but rather small so I didn’t know what to expect. The doorman (James?) warmly great me. The lady in the reception then announced that even though I had a reservation they were heavily booked. From experience I know this is a typical hotel speak for we will give you the worst available room. Not so for 51: the lady gave an upgrade to a suite:
(1) Your own private entrance to an amazing suite – no screaming brats/neighbors around; two fully furnished bedrooms, fully kitchen, washer/driver, business center in the room (wow), TV monitors in every room, big comfy rooms (untypical for European hotels). Did I mention how comfy these beds and pillows were? After 10 hrs flight, this was exactly what I needed
(2) Upon arrival it took the hotel ten minutes (record) to iron out my suit and get me into adjacent restaurant for dinner. The doorman walked me into restaurant (Indian) and made sure I got a nice table
(3) Big, comfy beds/very quite rooms – I live in a big city so there is always noise even at night. At 51 I could hardly hear anything…nada, and I slept like a baby. The room had two showers, big bath tub and soft comfy towels/robs, bedside water
(4) In room business center – one of a kind…very nice
(5) Staff – friendly…knowledgably about London. Gave me plenty of tips on shopping and navigating my way across the city. Taxi on the door step
(6) Wake up call – wow, it is delivered with your choice of beverage and newspaper. Of course you could also use the in-room TV monitors for wake-up.
(7) Common breakfast – incredible breakfast, very clean, nice servers. Try the incredible omelet
What can I say, this is one of a kind of hotel and I would highly recommend it to anyone. For those on the know, it reminded me of an upscale W – but with bigger rooms. I was in London for business but I could see myself staying here for pleasure. A big shopping street is right behind the hotel and like I said the staff will help you with tips on where to go shopping, nightlife etc.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Pamaluka
Araceli-London, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2011

Dear Pamaluka

Thank you and thank you again for such wonderful review, every member of the staff at 51 Buckingham Gate is delighted to hear about your great experience with us.

I loved the way you described 51 Buckingham Gate as a different kind of hotel, It is indeed different, our aim is to offer you many diffent options so that you can enjoy your business trip or holiday at your own pace, you can choose to cook or experience any of our restaurants in your suite if you wish to have some private time of your own just as if you were in your home.

We love to pamper our guest and those little extras like offering you your favourite hot beverage and newspaper in the morning is a wonderful way to start the day followed by a lovely breakfast in the library and then we can help you to organise your day just as you wish.

And I wish for you to come back whenever you feel like escaping NYC and we will assure you a confortable and quiet night sleep in the historic centre of London and plenty assistance to help you enjoy your time in town.

Thank you and see you soon !

Araceli Rius-Perez