“A Kingly Hotel next to the Palace”

Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences
Ranked #7 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We just returned from 51 Buckingham Gate and were impressed with the hotel and all the amenities it offered. Located 2 blocks from St. James's tube station and 5 blocks from Victoria, the hotel is nestled in a beautiful area of London close to the Palace and Green Park yet near all the museums and shopping of London. The staff (Kalman, Jon and Nelson especially) were warm and hospitable, fulfilling our many requests and often anticipating them! Our suite was enormous, especially given London hotel rooms, and was filled with lovely furnishing and current technology, all of which made our stay comfortable. Having compared the prices of comparable luxury hotels, I found 51 Buckingham Gate much the superior in terms of the room(s) sizes and amenities. We are already planning our return to this delightful hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Araceli-London, General Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Thank you for your enchanting review on Tripadvisor, We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and you were able to enjoy the amenities we had to offer.

We do have one of the best kept secret in London with our secret garden and the fountain, which, looks amazing whether covered in snow or you are just sipping an evening cocktail watching the sun do down.

I have passed on your comments to my great team and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

I had not heard of this hotel & was sceptical but saw no1 on trip advisor and really pleased we tried it. We stayed in the 170sqft cinema suite which offers an amazing amount of space for London. All of the staff have been exceptional in service and friendliness. We have 2 small children and they have been most welcome and happy here. Definitely would return and recommend. The decor is a fantastic experience in its self. Just had an abundant breakfast in the room of a superior quality to alot of resturants. Very impressed with every aspect.

• Stayed: December 2013
Araceli-London, General Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. The Cinema Suite is a new 2 bedroom suite that was designed by Sabyasachi Mukherji a very famous Indian designer. The 85 inch 3D television with electronic black out blinds really do make you feel you have a cinema in your own suite.

I am delighted that you would return to 'Taj' 51 Buckingham Gate and would personally like to welcome you and your family back.

Kind Regards

Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

On a recent work trip to London I stayed at these lovely apartments/suites and was thoroughly impressed!

Size of the room: Excellent! It's meant more for a long stay but for someone who likes big rooms with different sleeping and living spaces the One Bedroom Apartment/Suite is ideal. It comes with its own pantry and washing machine and those on a long stay would benefit from these facilities.

Staff: Exceptional is the only way to describe the staff here! From a thorough briefing of the hotel to completely personal attention (nearly every staff member knows you by name within hours!) the staff here is very warm and extremely efficient. From fixing the wifi in the room to arranging tea that you liked to carry back home they did it all!

Food: I mainly ate breakfast in the hotel with the exception of in room dining on day 1. Breakfast room is slightly small and the menu is limited. Although the staff did arrange breakfast as per your liking including steaming Idlis I would think a bigger breakfast room and a slightly enlarged breakfast menu would do the hotel good. The hotel also has a Michelin star restaurant which I did not try but that certainly should add to someone's decision to stay here.

Location: In the heart of Central London right next to Buckingham Palace! There is a tube station nearby which adds to the hotels convenient location.

Overall: Excellent hotel and I would definitely stay here again!

P.S-: the room rates are a bit through the roof but for all that I've described above it certainly is worth it!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I stayed in the hotel 22 October 2013.

If you are looking to stay in a quality hotel in London for an indulgent, memorable and stylish few days, then you cannot beat 51 Buckingham Gate. I've stayed in many high class hotels over the years, including the Mandarin and Peninsular in Hong Kong, and Claridges in London; although I was delighted with my experiences in those establisments, 51 Biuckingham Gate is now, very much, my favourite.

The service was most attentive without being intrusive; every need was taken care of. the hotel oozes quality and style.

I'll be returning soon!!!

Yvonne

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank velmead
Araceli-London, General Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review 51 Buckingham Gate and sharing your experience with other Tripadvisor readers.

It was such a joy to read we are now very much your favourite hotel and your stay was memorable. We pride ourselves on our world acclaimed 'TAJ' Service.

We hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to 51 Buckingham Gate.

Kind Regards

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I've done a lot of traveling to London for business and have stayed in some excellent hotels like the Four Seasons and the Charlotte Street hotel, but having just recently stayed at 51 Buckinghamgate Hotel, it's my new favorite hotel. The rooms are called apartments for good reason - they're very spacious and are laid out like an actual apartment with a separate living room, bedroom, bathroom dressing area and a proper size, fully equipped kitchen. The design is both elegant and comfortable, and there are lots of nice touches (fresh flowers, fruit tray, complimentary cocktails in the lounge, free wifi, Molton Brown toiletries). Based on all of that alone, it would have made the top of my list, but what really sets it over the top is the service. Everyone on staff is so professional, efficient and friendly. The lobby staff all knew my name, and if I asked where something was (like the gym), they didn't just tell me or point the direction, but actually walked me over. They really seem to go the extra mile to make your stay comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank FtGreen03
Reviewed November 18, 2013

When I have busy itimes ahead or huge stresses at work I take in a 5 star hotel in this fab city. Despite the name and price, not all are 5 star but I was absolutely delighted with this hotel. The service was fantastic, they even found my favourite loose leaf tea for my room. The room was impeccably clean and huge. The bathroom was great, the breakfast very good and the little canapés and drinks a lovely touch. The only fault was the lack of a hair dryer. But I will be back. I loved it!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Julia S
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Our stay at the Taj Suites was 6 nights at the end of our Europe honeymoon. The three most important things from our perspective were quality of sleep, food and service. Taj scores 10/10 on all three. From the moment we arrived, nothing was too much trouble, the breakfast in the library and the happy hour in the evening that we didn't get to enjoy as often we would have liked were relaxing, great quality and always attentive polite service.

A couple of really minor things can be improved. The lighting in bathroom was poor for makeup/shaving, and the addition of more storage shelves would have made our unpacking/stay easier, and I only offer this as the rooms are quite big and can provide for that without making them feel small.

The Nespresso machine and the washer/dryer were extensively used. The housekeeping was incredibly precise and attention to detail was great. After we got home, we agreed that bringing the bed from the Taj home would have been a good move (That's a first for a hotel).

Location as many others have mentioned was great. Walking distance to many attractions, and Tube, Bus routes within 3 minute walk and major Train station 10 minute walk.

Internet and the computer printer were used a lot.. printing maps etc and was a nice addition we've not seen elsewhere.

The trap we fell into as some others have is that the picture shown by Taj 51 you can't see from the road, so our taxi driver drove past and it took a minute for us to see the Taj flag... easier navigation is to just look for Crowne Plaza and walk down the lane on the RHS to the Taj 51 reception.

The only thing that would prevent us returning here is budget. It's not the cheapest option, but it surely must be one of the very best.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple