New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences

Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences
Ranked #6 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Bedford
“A service and experience beyond excellence.......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We booked a suite for 4 people here at the Taj 51 Buckingham gate for a weekend in London with friends. We were upgraded to a larger suite which truly was home from home. The little touches and extras here make the whole experience very royal which is very apt for its location just a few minutes from Buckingham Palace. We had an excellent lunch in Bistro 51 with an excellent recommended wine to compliment the meal. I have a nut allergy and so informed the waiter as I always have to do but on this occasion the service was again very special as he then informed everyone in the complex and so when we arrived at the Michelin starred Quilon restaurant in the evening they were fully aware and had prepared some dishes accordingly. I have never experienced this attention to detail and understanding of a severe allergy before.
We also enjoyed our complimentary aperitifs and canapes in the library prior to dinner.
The concierge and reception staff could not do enough for us throughout the whole stay I only wish we had been there longer but one thing is for certain we will be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Bullermeister

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I have recently returned from London after spending three fabulous days at the Taj. We were upgraded to the Prime Minister's Suite, and it was fantastic and HUGE. The staff were exceptional and were extremely considerable and helpful with my 6 and 8 year old children. Erol in the breakfast room even packed some pastries for my children to take for morning tea. Alex, John and Nelson were so helpful at the Conceirge desk, and booked tour tickets, arranged a babysitter at short notice, provided advice on what to visit and what to give a miss, taking into consideration the ages of my children, I can't thank them enough. All the staff were friendly and polite, and made us feel so welcome. I can highly recommend this property, and will definitely return when I am next in London, which I hope is sooner rather than later.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Horgan88
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed here in December for 1 night, a Xmas treat. Location was great. Service exceptional, room huge, comfy beds, nice sheets, great bathroom. Nothing too much for the staff. Don't miss breakfast, prob the best I've ever had.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jade12345
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Short walk from Victoria and even shorter from St James' Park. Amazingly quiet. Great junior suite with more than I could ask for. The staff were tremendously welcoming and friendly throughout. 5 minutes from the Houses of Parliament.....complimentary cocktails.........complimentary coffee brought to your room in the morning which you don't need because there is a Nespresso machine. I put out my shoes for cleaning and they came back like new.

My only regret? I was working and didn't get to spend enough time there. i will remedy that with my wife later in the year........

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Turntheheatdown
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

The moment I entered the gates of 51 Buckingham Gate, I felt solace from the hectic pace of London. As an avid lover of beautiful architecture, I found myself admiring the impressive Victorian-Edwardian stonework that has been restored to its original magnificence, certainly a hidden gem within the area between Buckingham Palace and Westminster Cathedral. Interestingly the masterwork was not created by an architect, but by English Major Charles Pawley.
I was led up to the Junior Suite, spacious at 51 sq. Mt, with an open plan kitchen that included a full sized washing machine, cooker, fridge, coffee machine, kettle, all the kitchen equipment one could desire for an overnight stay, and the generous gift of a wholefoods hamper that included every item you could possibly need for your overnight stay including: – tea, coffee, milk, eggs, biscuits, cereal, and so much more. Many of the items were organic.
The living room included a sofa, a desk, flat screen TV, and plenty of reading materials. The bathroom was delightfully spacious with a separate shower, and for those who love to relax, the generous sized bathtub will not disappoint. Every amenity is supplied in the bathrooms at 51 Buckingham Gate, so you do not have to worry if you have forgotten an item. Staying in a residence or suite, rather than a hotel room surely must be experienced to be believed at how restful and rejuvenating one feels following just one nights stay, or perhaps even from the moment of arrival a restful wave of relaxation calmed the frantic pace of London from my system in about five or ten minutes. The plush bed offered the most pleasant nights sleep that I had experienced away from home in a long time. The beautiful luxurious soft furnishings imbue the suite with a subtle tranquillity that greatly enhanced my stay. Every detail was taken care of including the provision of a yoga mat alongside Taj Yoga cards, which sincerely delighted me, as I unrolled the mat to stretch all tensions out of my body with my familiar yoga routine, and then spent some time studying the wonderful incomparable yoga cards depicting asana poses in greater detail, including some poses I had not seen before.
51 Buckingham Gate is certainly one of the top five star hotels that I have visited in London. The suite can be booked for £285 for a King Size bed or Twin beds. The breakfast inclusive rate is £325.00.
The Spa offers many lovely treatments using Anne Semonin products, including luxurious oils and scrubs. My attentive therapist commenced with an initial consultation to ensure the treatment was perfect for my skin type, and that any concerns were addressed. Interestingly the scrub was made with sand, and was gently invigorating, preparing my skin to receive the oil massage, which followed. Particular attention can be applied to certain areas, so for myself, extra focus was placed upon my shoulders and back, relieving all tension from these areas. I was almost too relaxed to rise from the massage couch, and once I emerged from the therapy room, I felt much lighter with a spring in my step.
For dinner on the evening of my stay, I chose in-room dining, and in particular the gourmet menu. I was delighted to find some interesting vegetarian dishes on the menu. For starter I chose a wonderful salad of smoked mozzarella, rocket, herbs, walnut, with caper dressing and for my main course I opted for the cheese fondue with pan-fried potatoes, red peppers, tomato and spinach. For ‘dessert’ I ordered the cheese platter which included Cornish yarg, ragstone goats cheese, Cornish brie, Cropwell bishop stilton, black bomba cheese with apricot, jelly, nuts, grapes and biscuits. Cuisine at 51 Buckingham Gate is a gourmet delight of supreme flavours that you remember with wistful thoughts days beyond the enjoyment of your meal.
The service is impeccable, and every need catered to with sincere attention to resolve and deliver each and every request.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank ElianaGB
new york city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

i recomend 51 Buckingham gate because the people are very nice and they have good service.
it also has good rooms,very helpful directions,and very good advice on where to go. there where no parties so i got good sleep. it has good movies for adults and kids. they also had popcorn and an electric stove. like i said before every one is nice. also its great for a family vacation. my family has 3 kids a 13 year old, a 9 year old, and a 4 year old and the people were so nice to the 4 year old they evan gave her free cookies. and one time we got upgraded to a jaguar sweet it was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice.

Room Tip: all the rooms are very nice
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed one night on the weekend, when we were upgraded to a huge suite. The service was a class apart, from the canapes and drinks in the library to room service for breakfast by way of popcorn and DVDs in the room. And for us a major benefit was the Bikram Yoga just opposite so we could feel good about burning off some of the indulgence on Sunday morning.

Room Tip: Tricky to make a recommendation - as with luck they will upgrade, however ask for a room facing the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple