“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #4 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Rockville, Maryland
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

My husband and I have been living in London, on and off, for three years. We have stayed in many hotels and short term lease flats. Our last trip, which was in January, one of our favorite hotels, The St James Crowne Plaza, was booked. They suggested 51 Buckingham Gate, right next door. WOW....what a delight. Everything about this hotel is 5 star. The suites are beautiful but, truly, the service was exceptional. Breakfast is included and served in the quaint, cozy library. Each evening, between 6:30 and 8:30pm they serve complimentary cocktails and lovely appetizers. We will NEVER Shay elsewhere, if possible. Truly a pleasure!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank mag774
Araceli-London, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear mag774,

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review and most of all for following the advise from my colleagues at our sister hotel the Crowne Plaza London St James to try 51 Buckingham Gate.

I am delighted to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and found your suite and the service you received to your liking.

It is also wonderful to know that you enjoyed your morning breakfast and you decided to book a package with your breakfast included, The Libary is indeed a very cozy place to relax and enjoy the extensive breakfast offering in the morning and of course you also have the choice to take your breakfast in the privacy of your suite if so you desire.

The complimentary drinks and canapes is a lovely way to start your evening before you go out for dinner or to the teatre and The Library transforms itself into a very intimate setting with its candles and soft music playing in the background.

I very much look forward to welcome you back again at 51 Buckingham Gate soon and to make of our hotel your most favourity hotel in London.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We had the pleasure of traveling to London the week before Christmas. We had begun communicating with the concierge months prior to our visit. They were very helpful booking dinner reservations and theater tickets. The concierge Nelson was fantastic once we arrived there as well. The units are beautifully decorated and immaculately clean. The modern kitchens were so convenient with the family. The hotel is steps from Buckingham Palace and centrally located to all the London sites. All the staff were extremely helpful particularly the managers.
We would highly recommend this property to families staying in London.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Ohanafun
Dear Ohanafun,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review.

I am very happy to know that your pre-Christmas trip to London was a very enjoyable one and you had a lovely family time staying with us at 51 Buckingham Gate.

Our larger two and three bedroom suites are just fantastic for families as you have the space and the convenience of your own private home while enjoying all the services of a fine 5 star hotel.

Also a big thank you for highlighting the service you received from our Concierge team, I am delighted to know that they were helpful assisting you to with the organisation of your tickets before your arrival, you can always count on our Cle D'or concierge and his team to arrange every bit of your trip in advance.

I very much hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to 51 Buckingham Gate to continue building great family memories in London.

Warmest regards

Reviewed January 29, 2012

I have stayed in quite a few hotels in London, including The Savoy, but have never felt the need to write a review.....until now. My husband and I stayed for two nights in a Junior Apartment, and from the moment we stepped through the door, the staff couldn't do enough for us. Everyone was so friendly and obliging. They made us feel as though we were the only guests. The apartment was fantastic, with every thought put into the layout and amenities. If I ever stay in London again, then this is where I will definitely return to. Thank you once again for your kindnesses.

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank Jan31ette
Araceli-London, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Dear Jan 31 ette,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of 51 Buckingham Gate Taj Suites and Residences and for taking the time for writting about us.

I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you find the service you received second to none in London. I am certain that my colleagues served you with much pleasure and enjoyed taking care of you both.

I sincerely hope that you will make of 51 your most favourity hotel in London for the future and that we will have the opportunity to delight you over and over again.

With warmest regards and best wishes

Roma
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Excellent experience! We took advantage of a promotional offer and received a free upgrading to a more spacious apartment. Sumptuous breakfast. Very gentle people at the concierge. Ideal for families, especially if you consider the rarity of family rooms in London. We will return to this hotel the next time we are in London.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ABC2762
Dear ABC2762,

Thank you very, very much for your lovely review and for such kind words for my colleagues, we are indeed very happy to know that you had a wonderful time at 51 Buckingham Gate.

Due to the size of the suites and the amazing facitlities in the two and three bedroom suites 51 Buckingham Gate is a fantastic offering for families and you can be sure we love to make sure that familes have a lovely quality time with us.

Please do let me know if there is anything else I can do for you when you next come to visit and we very much look forward to welcome you back among us.

East Maitland, Australia
Reviewed January 17, 2012

51 BG is a great hotel. We had a two room suite with living area, kitchen and laundry facilities and it was a perfect place to relax. Facilities are top notch and the service is exemplary. Nelson, the concierge, knows his stuff and is a pleasure to deal with. Thanks 51 BG

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank TimAus12
Dear TimAus12,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of 51 Buckingham Gate.

I am delighted to know that you very much enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that the Royal treatment was not only due to our proximity to Buckingham Palace but that you and your family were pampered as Royalty by the team.

Many thanks for your mention of our concierge, time after time the concierge team deliver fantastic recomendations and you can trust they will pursue any of your request until they archieves the desired result for you.

Please do come back soon to visit us at 51 Buckingham Gate where you will be very welcome once again.

Warm regards

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I've been a long time returning guest of 51.
On this last trip, over Christmas, their service levels excelled once again; being welcomed to my suite that was already seasoned with a REAL live Christmas Tree, ornaments and all, followed by a personalized Christmas Stocking stuffed with traditional little gifts and fruit on Christmas Eve.

This hotel continues to excel in every way, except unfortunately for the mattresses.
Where every other major hotel brand in the world spends considerably on ensuring a comfortable bed, 51 Buckingham Gate is certainly lacking in this department. The linens, pillows and comforter are all exceptional, however the mattresses are NOT comfortable, old, sagging and to make things worse, the hotel has a pretty serious pigeon problem (the incessant oooo-oooo-oooo-ing at all hours of the night kept me awake every night).

I look forward to returning, as I do at least once a year, but I hope that they go through and renew all of the mattresses to a standard becoming the five star property that it truly is.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank james5stars
Dear James5star,

Thank you very much for your recent review of 51 Buckingham Gate and most of all for your loyalty and great feedback.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your Christmas break with us and you liked the little suprises and your Christmas tree, as a regular guest of ours we are happy to offer you those extra bits to ensure you have a wonderful time, specially when you choose to stay over such special time.

I am sorry to hear about the disconfort you felt with your mattress, I am actually very dissapointed indeed as this year we changed up to 80% of our mattresses with the highest quality ones in the market to ensure we provide our guest with a wonderful sleep. I am glad you also noticed the improved quality of the pillows and bedding. Unfortunately due to an oversight from a member of my team, when accommodating a previous guest request for your suite to be made as a twin bed a different mattress was placed and it didn't make it back to your bed as is should have been. I am sorry and please do not hesitate in the future to give us your feedback as soon as you experience any discomfort, I can assure you that had we realised this mistake we would have changed it right away for you.

I am also sorry if pidgeons disturbed your sleep, like every landmark building in central London we can at times hear this unwanted noise, I can assure you that we take every precaution with nets, covered covings and regular pest control visits to keep them away from our hotel and it is a matter that we take very seriously.

I sincerely hope that these disturbances will not stop you returning to stay with us and I very much look forward to see you soon again in 2012.

With warmest regards and best wishes

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2012

My friend and I had spa treatments & a champagne afternoon tea all of which were absolutely amazing. We had also taken up a one - bedroom suite where we entertained guests in the evening. The whole team of staff made us feel very comfortable and individually escorted every single one of our guests over to our room. The standard of service was exceptionally high and made this an exceptional experience, one that we will never forget!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Msk174
Dear Msk174,

Thank you very much for your amazing review and for taking the time to write about us.

I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful experience at 51 Buckingham Gate and that you were able to entertain your guests in one of our One bedroom Suites in true style. These suites are perfect for entertaining and with some fabulous in room dinning food and drinks and waiting staff to help you I am sure we can top it up for you next time.

Lovely to hear that you enjoyed your afternoon tea and spa treatments at the Spa at 51 I am glad that you felt totally pampered with the amazing and very exclusive Anne Semonin treatments.

Thank you once again for your lovely review and may we see you back very soon again.