“Superb Service”

Ranked #4 of 1,088 Hotels in London
BOSTON
“Superb Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We just returned from a four night stay at 51 Buckingham Gate. I can not say enough about the service. Everyone from check-in, to Alex and the conceierge staff, to the food service folks were great. The General Manager, Mr. Prabhat Verma, even made a point to introduce himself. They were able to get our suite ready very early as our flight arrived at 8:30 and we reached the hotel before 10:30. Our suite was excellent, with more room than many apartments. Everything was spotless. The location is also excellent and located within walking distance of many attractions. We had dinner one evening at the Bank Restaurant within the complex and found it to be very good. I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel and will return next time I am in London.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DCB402
Araceli-London, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Dear DCB402,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience in Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to know that you very much enjoyed your stay at 51 Buckingham Gate and that we were able to accommodate your early arrival to ensure you started your holiday in a very relaxed way and also very happy to know you enjoyed the service you received from the reception and concierge team.

Mr Verma and I look forward to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

I spent 3 nights at the 51 Buckingham Gate with my partner, and can’t fault the experience in any way. The hotel location is superb – 5 minutes walk to Buckingham Palace, but set back slightly from the main road down a private “drive”. This meant that (a) you could pull the car/taxi up to the front door for unloading and leave it there without any problem, and (b) the hotel is beautifully quiet at all times – no traffic noise! A little tip for parking – try parkatmyhouse.com. We found a friendly, local guy who rents out his parking spot in a private, secure underground park for £12.50 per day, 10 minutes easy walk from the hotel. A bargain, and much safer than the multi-storey.
All aspects of the reservation procedure were superb – although I communicated by email, I had prompt, friendly replies, and confirmation of all aspects. I had said that the purpose of the stay was to celebrate a significant birthday, and we were upgraded to a junior suite on arrival – living room with fully-fitted kitchenette (which we hardly used), a good size bedroom and a HUGE bathroom. The room was fantastic, and couldn’t be faulted. Molton Brown toiletries throughout, and fruit, tea, coffee, etc in the kitchenette.
The staff are absolutely first class – friendly, smiling, helpful at all times. Although everyone was great, a special mention has to be made of the staff serving breakfast in the library – the friendliest bunch of people imaginable. Nothing was too much trouble, and everything was accompanied by a smile and “you’re welcome!”. To be honest – the whole staff couldn’t have been nicer.
One very nice feature of the hotel – and one which we took full advantage of! – is free cocktails and canapés in the Library between 18.30 and 20.30. And we’re not talking dubious alcohol that you’ve never heard of before – a range of wines, champagne and “branded” spirits, all served for free and in the nicest surroundings. This is a really nice feature, and one you should take advantage of. It’s a very nice way to start your evening of entertainment in London.
If I was trying my best to find fault, I really couldn’t. Beautiful hotel with fantastic rooms, brilliant location, the friendliest, most helpful staff imaginable – worth every penny (and not that expensive compared with other 5 star hotels). Make every effort to stay here – you won’t be sorry.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade - you don't get if you don't ask!
3 Thank Peter O
Dear Einon-E-Mouse,

Thank you ever so much for the amazing account of your stay at 51 Buckingham Gate and for being so gracious to share it with other Tripadvisor members.

It is so lovely to know that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel and that you found our associates friendly and helpful. Every member of the team aspires to delight you and to know that they contributed to make your special birthday a happy one is all we can ask for.

I very much hope to see you back at 51 very soon again and be sure that the Library team will have your favourite refreshments ready for you.

Best wishes

Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

Atypical hotel in the heart of London, 5mn walk from Victoria Station once you know your way. The hotel is several brick buildings away from the mainstreet and sharing a private court. A pity that cars can enter this court, which otherwise would be quite pleasant in nice weather.
Staff was very kind and made everything possible to help. I had to wait a bit for the suite to be ready, and they kept offering drinks or coffee to compensate for the inconvenience.
I was updated to a 2 bedroom + dining room suite. A lot of space, but not the furniture to match. 3TVs, but no convenient working desk. Otherwise all amenities were there. And a full kitchen to entertain guests, and a Nespresso coffee maker for coffee lovers.
Small bathroom, with older type equipment. In fact had no hot water one morning, which was rapidly repaired.
But this hotel has a lot of British charm, and would be perfect for a family stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Skuatakin,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am very happy to read that you found the hotel to be of a different kind, indeed 51 Buckingham Gate is a rather special place ,with different style of suites within 3 townhouses with its beautiful courtyard, each to offer you different kind of experiences depending on what degree of privacy you wish for or whether you are working or on holiday as a couple or as a family. It seems that in this occassion we did not manage to recognise all your needs when prepearing your suite and I am sorry for that.

Please be sure that on your next stay we will ensure that you stay in one of our Junior Suites or Deluxe One Bedroom Suites as they are more modern in design (versus the clasic Superior Suites) and are better eqquiped for your business needs.

I totally understand your comment on cars and taxis entering through the beautiful courtyard but I can assure you that this offers convenience and privacy and it is appreciated by the majority of the guests.

I very much look forward to your next stay and to ensure that we can find the right suite for you.

Thank you so much for choosing to say with us.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

Chose this hotel because of position, price and reviews. The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. The rooms were beautiful and because of the position of the hotel - very quiet which helped for a good nights sleep. Lots of little extra touches which were very thoughtful. The breakfast was delicious and plentiful. We ate in Quilon - the indian restaurant which is part of the hotel, but we preferred Bistro 51 which was very relaxed and lovely food and staff.

Nashville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

We just returned from a few days in London; this was our first stay at this hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed the visit. I love the concept of the all suite property. We were Virtuoso guests so we had wonderful amenities such as private pick up at Heathrow in a new Jaguar; so nice after a long flight! We also received free wifi; full breakfast and other lovely amenities.
What is important about this property is the excellent staff (Nelson, Alex and Benson, to name a few). They just take care of you! Having theatre tickets delivered to the hotel, good dining recommendations; just extremely accommodating. The library where breakfast and complimentary cocktails are served everyday is charming and the young servers always remember your name; they are all delightful. I was so impressed that before we had even landed from our flight; Alex at the hotel had already sent an email to my traveling companion thanking us for staying there and hoping we had a safe journey home; that's impressive!
On another note; the hotel is in a great location; a stone's throw from Buckingham Palace and near Victoria Station making it easy to get to all the sights.

Room Tip: All suites are in great location; very quiet area so would assume any suite would be fine; I prefer...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank reallyrosieNashville
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

I used tripadvisor for our paris/london trip, so I hope to give back to tripadvisor friends as much as I can!

Service - great! Better than 4 seasons at times! They helped us with everything we asked during our stay. Everything from finding tickets to a Chelsea match to making eggless pancakes! We felt at home!

Front Desk staff
Alex and Nelson were awesome concierges! Any question we had, they were able to answer! Alex went above and beyond in getting us tickets to a match and making sure we knew where we were going when trying to find places. Once he ran out to tell us something before we left our building! (We were in the Kings building and the front desk/lobby is in the Ministers building)
Steve was great - he brought up stuff to our room without hesitation as needed and did not mind coming and going a few times to accommodate our needs.

Breakfast staff
The manager and his team at breakfast were wonderful! They were always ready to serve us and always asking us what we'd like. I asked the manager if the chef would be able to make eggless pancakes. He said no, the batter has eggs. The next morning he informed me that he talked to the chef the night before and asked! So I had pancakes for breakfast!!

Security staff
One gentleman was really sweet and asked us how we were doing - always! I wish I knew his name! He was a bit older than the front desk staff, he was very friendly.

Management
We had an issue when we got there, the room wasn't up to par for a Taj property in my opinion. I have stayed at a few and the rooms have been well kept, modern and clean. Our room was clean, somewhat modern and not well kept over the years. There was buildup in the bathroom, and I expressed my concern to management. They had the room deep cleaned and asked if we would like to move to another room. The cleaning was adequate, and we couldn't be bothered to move with so much luggage, so we stayed. It seems as though everyone knew about our situation! A little embarrassing...but I guess that means they all took that extra step in making us feel comfortable, which was nice.
Aricela was the manager and she was very friendly. My shirt got misplaced so I informed the front desk. They got in touch with housekeeping and the next day found out they had put it in a cupboard! Aricela informed me through the process that they would take care of it, no matter what. It was nice to be re-assured that they cared. As for housekeeping - I really wish they wouldn't touch and move my stuff. I leave it all neat and tidy so they can clean around it.
Mohit was nice, he made sure we had the option to move to another room.
Another woman at that desk was nice, but I didn't come into contact with her until the last day, so I don't remember her name.
I learned that our rooms will be updated after the Minsters building rooms get updated. I hope to stay in newer and well kept rooms next time.

Misc.
When we arrived, the kitchen was stocked with small milk, bread and juice. There was also a nice box full of goodies - cereal, olived oil, eggs, cookies, etc... It was a great way to snack when we got hungry!
We were there during Diwali (Indian New Year). They sent up a beautiful red box with dried fruit, nuts, chocolates, whiskey, Indian sweets, etc. It was a nice and thoughtful gift, we were pleasantly surprised!
Our rate included breakfast which was great because they had pastries, breads, eggs, cereals, and everything else on the menu to choose from. We recommend getting it so that it's easy to eat and go out and explore the city.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated rooms - I'm not sure which building will be most up to date when you...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Newry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

Spent 4 nights here and loved every minute of it, great service, large double bedroom suite, food, both roomservice and Quinlon restaurant were fantastic. Great location, would go back here again.