“Made a great vacation even more special”

Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences
Ranked #7 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 25, 2011

This hotel is truly a gem. I can't imagine what our trip would have been like if we had stayed anywhere else. From the moment we arrived, exhausted, bedraggled and dragging two young, discombobulated children, the staff made us feel welcomed, relaxed and immediately at home. Arecilia, the lovely hotel manager, met us outside and escorted us through the check-in process. Our apartment was ready -- and OH! What an apartment. Beautifully appointed, comfortable and chic. It was hard to resist immediately lying down and going to sleep.

But the very very best part of the hotel, and the single reason I would return again and again (almost forsaking travel to other parts of Europe ever again), is the exceptional service we received from their concierge staff -- Nelson and Alex. I simply cannot say enough about these gentlemen. Knowledgeable. Friendly. Extra mile. Smart. Uncanny ability to know what you want to do and where you want to go. Brilliant planning. They greeted us by name whenever we passed through the lobby. Called my husband on their cell phones when mine wasn't working and I couldn't locate him. Brought me water while I waited. Planned our walks through town. Got us tickets. Turned the hotel upside down looking for my daughter's missing beloved elephant. I could go on and on.

Because we had an apartment set-up with two bedrooms, a living room, and a kitchen we were easily able to eat some of our meals in-room. The food was excellent. Good value. Good service. It was perfect for our two young children (6 and 4) who were tired after long days out and about and unable/unwilling to sit for a restaurant meal.

Please, I implore you, stay at 51 Buckingham Gate. You will love it.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed April 24, 2011

Our family just returned from a week's stay at 51 Buckingham Gate, where we'd booked a three-bedroom apartment. Upon checking in, we were told that we'd been "upgraded" (to a three-bedroom suite with a separate dining room). Then the manager said, "About the noise...." It turned out that the hotel was installing a new elevator bank - something they didn't tell our travel agent when she booked our stay. However, the manager assured us that work would be confined to 10 am to 5 pm.
This was the beginning of a week that began with a special daily wakeup call as the work crews arrived between 7:15 and 7:30, unloaded their equipment beneath our windows, and clomped up the scaffolding outside our room to begin their work - jackhammering, drilling, etc - right behind our bathroom wall and the wall in the hallway of our suite. This continued all day long, every day. (The first morning, not knowing that the workers would be showing up so early, I had opened the curtains - only to notice a troop of construction workers watching through the window as as I dried my hair. After that, we kept the curtains closed.) The first few days, we had to be up and out anyway, but finally we did complain (very, very politely). We received all sorts of sincere-seeming apologies, but absolutely nothing changed, even after we spoke to the manager three days in a row. Maybe we were too polite.... If we'd been staying for longer, we definitely would have moved hotels. We were offered neither a partial refund nor different accommodations (we asked if they could move us to a different suite).
Nearly $2,000 a night was a lot to pay for this kind of treatment. What hotel of the caliber to which this one aspires chooses to make its guests unhappy and jeopardize its reputation rather than simply closing the affected suite or suites while construction is happening? In the end, too, we wonder whether they "upgraded" us to this suite because whoever was staying in it before us complained and the hotel was able to move them elsewhere.
Too bad, as the apartment was comfortable and the service was otherwise very good. We would never stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank all4movingon
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I have now stayed at 51 several times over the past two years, and every experience is excellent. On my most recent stay I was upgraded to a lovely one bedroom suite, with plenty of room, which is rare in London. The room was quiet and well put together, with all the amenities business travellers or families would require (dvd player, internet connection, fully stocked kitchen, washer/dryer). The bedding is divine and after a long plane ride (over 11 hours) it is a joy to climb into the bed and sleep peacefully. The e business centre is wonderful and every time I needed to work in there the staff would come to see if they could bring me coffee or tea.

What truly separates the 51 though from other hotels is the staff. They are consummate professionals and are wonderful at taking care of their guests. I still think they should be giving customer service training to other businesses. On this visit, after missing lunch one day and arriving back at 3 p.m. Sergio, the Head Butler met my colleague and I. We asked about the Italian restaurant on the corner and as happens the chef was walking by. Sergio called him over, spoke to him in Italian and next thing we were being ushered over to the restaurant for a late, but delicious lunch. Vasi, another Butler, did a fantastic job of helping me with boxes of materials I'd had shipped ahead. Plus, after several trips he knows my preferance for water and fruit and made sure I had both. Vasi and Sergio are just absolute stars! Nelson , the Concierge was phenomenal at getting fabulous tickets to the Royal Ballet, finding a lovely, but quiet restaurant for an important lunch, and handling every bizarre request I had, without ever breaking a sweat. When I wandered down one morning needing a tape measure, he pulled one out from the desk. I only wish they were running my daily life all the time!
I also need to commend Alex, the other concierge for all his help pre-trip and during my stay. The housekeeping staff are lovely and friendly. Everyone is kind, and friendly giving you the amount of space you need.
Special kudos go to the new manager, Araceli, who is doing some great things at 51, including the new facebook page.
Some of you reading this might think it all sounds too good to be true, but in all my years of travelling, having stayed at some gorgeous hotels, the 51 reigns supreme for customer service. I would not dream of staying anywhere else in London.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ksullivanvance
Reviewed March 28, 2011

The apart-hotel is brilliantly located in the heart of London. Rooms too are very well furnished and maintained. The staff is extreamly helpful in all matters. The spa is just whats needed at the ended of a stressful day.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Araceli-London, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2011

Dear Alokie,

Thank you so much for your review.

I am delighted to know that you fond your stay at 51Buckingham Gate memorable and that you enjoy returning to stay with us.

I am also happy to know that the treatments you received at the Spa at 51 were a soothing experience that assisted you to relax and enhance your experience.

We all look forward to welcome you back.

Best wishes

Reviewed March 25, 2011

We enjoyed our 7-days stay at 51 Buckingham Gate. The room came with a separate living area, kitchenette and a huge bathroom. Having a washer/dryer within the room was something that was appreciated.

While the room was great, we enjoyed the breakfast and the excellent service provided by Sergio and his team the most. The menu is not extensive, but you can ask to personalise or for something off the menu. The team was more than happy to accommodate whenever possible. Thank you.

If there's anything to be fussy about, we didn't enjoy the food from room service (most room service are not fantastic anyway) and found not much of other alternatives around the hotel for dinner.

In terms of location, the hotel is just round the corner from the Buckingham Palace and walking distance to subway. London Cab Drivers are excellent with locations. Else, walking is a great alternative, you get to walk across parks and gardens on your walk to most attractions!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank erickennystankyle

Dear Erikennystankyle,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and your kind words for Sergio our Head Butler and the team at The Library, our breakfast and lounge room.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay whether it was the priviledged location of the hotel, being so close to Buckingham Palace and some of the most expectacular sites in London really is fantastic, or the personalised service you received from my colleagues who are truly genuine and caring and will try their utmost to assist you.

I am however dissapointed to hear that you did not enjoy your In Room Dinning experience, at 51 Buckingham Gate we aim to offer as many dining options as we possibly can by having a selection of classic items in the In Room Dinning menu, offering a fully eqquiped kitchen in case you wish to prepare your own food and offering you 3 restaurants within the hotel. The Quilon for Michelin starred Coastal Indian food, Bank Westminster for modern International food and Bistro 51 with choices of grills, British flavors and Asian offerings. I am really sorry that you didn't feel these were sufficient choices. On your next stay at 51 which I hope will be soon again, do allow our concierge team to recommend you some more restaurants in the neighbourhood, I am sure you will be surprised by some very interesting places just a few minutes walk away!

Thank you once again for your lovely review and I look forward to welcoming you back to London and to 51 Buckingham Gate.

Warm regards

Reviewed March 22, 2011

This is the second time for us to go to London. We booked the 51 Hamleys package and our 5 years old boy absolutely loves it. After staying at 51 Buckingham Gate for 3 nights, we feel that it is a nice hotel but there are things that they could have worked on.

Pros:
1. Their suite is very spacious and well equipped.
2. Room service food is delicious.
3. Location is not bad and very convenience. We took taxi most of the time and all the taxi drivers have no problem locating the hotel. There are also convenience store and supermarket close to the hotel so it is easy to get what you need.
4. Most of the staffs are being very friendly and helpful during our stay.
5. The package that we booked is very good for family with children. The private cooking lesson conducted in our suite is the most fun thing to do. Our son enjoyed so much and he is so happy to have his own chef jacket to bring home with.

Cons:
1. With 5 stars hotel and stay in their suite, you would expect Wi-fi service to be a standard service. However we're disappointed to find out that we have to pay extra for the Wi-fi service. Besides, if you have more than one devices, you will need to purchase Wi-fi service for each of the devices! We purchased one for 24 hours but are most shocked to find out that their service is not even stable. We kept being cut off from their connection and have to re-login every 5 mins or so. The speed of their Wi-fi connection is fast but staying connected has been a problem. This happens even when we stay still in one spot in our suite so it is frustrated to find out we lost the connection so often, although we haven't been moving around. We called their reception for help and the way the staff handle it was just to tell us that it is normal when you move around the suite the connection may drop. At one point, he sounds like it is our fault when the connection is bad which we think is not professional at all. At the end, we never purchase the service again.
2. Breakfast at the hotel can be a bit of hectic. There are obviously not enough seats or tables at the breakfast area so if you go in late, you may have to wait. We tried the food in the hotel and love it except for their breakfast. Their coffee is not hot and they are quite slow in terms of service.
3. The second day we have booked the Hamleys tour which is included in the package. They were a bit unorganized in terms of giving us information on who to contact with at the toy shop. The concierge has been trying his best to help but we still ended up waiting for over 15 mins before we could leave the hotel.
4. The day we left the hotel, their water boiler broken so we had no hot water for shower that morning. It took a while for them to finally figure out what went wrong. They offered another suite for us to have shower but it has been quite inconvenience especially when you have to rush and check out by 12pm.

51 Buckingham Gate is a lovely hotel. We believe that their intention is to provide good service to their guests but unfortunately, the service is still not up to the 5 stars standard. We would recommend their Hamleys package to friends with young children but would love to see them to be more thoughtful when it comes to service.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank angieyca

Dear Angieyca,

Thank you very much for your review and for listing those things that you enjoyed the most and those that did not fulfill your expectations.

First of all I am delighted that you enjoyed many of the services at the hotel and you found the quaility and size of the suite and the service and location to your satisfaction.

The Hamleys package is really fun for young children and getting to bake like a grown up and at the same time getting to learn something can really be lovely and I am glad to know that your young boy enjoyed it. Unfortunately on the day of your visit to Hamleys we had to make you wait for a few minutes whilst we coordinated with the store those little things that make the visit extra special. Normally we are able to coordinate this fast and efficiently once we know the exact time and date when you would be going to the store but on this particular occassion we experienced certain delays and I am sorry for that.

You also mentioned your experience with the Internet as something that was not to your satisfaction, I would like to let you know that thanks to your comments we have modified the way we charge for WIFI and I hope you will be happy to know that from now on we will be makeing those charges per suite rather than per devise, also, during the next few months we will be upgrading the WIFI system to erradicate the black spots that due to the size of the walls in some suites can be at times troublesome. 51 Buckingham Gate currently offers you a very fast and efficient wired Internet connection and you can also enjoy complimentary use of the Internet via the PCs in the E-Centre.

Thank you once again for your superb feedback and I hope we can see you and your family soon again at 51 Buckingham Gate.

Warm regards

Reviewed March 8, 2011

The most memorable aspect of our stay at Buckingham Gate was the staff. We travelled with three small children (all under 5 including a 6 month old baby) and the staff were amazing. Doors were opened for us before we even realised that we needed to open them! This is possibly the best service we have experienced anywhere. A particular mention goes to Sergio who was incredibly warm and attentive with the children and Cristina in Housekeeping. The place itself was beautiful. We were given an upgrade and the three bedroom suite was just stunning with the most beautiful kitchen. Room service was swift and delicious. I cannot recommend this place enough to families with children. I will only stay here when in London and will certainly recommend Buckingham Gate to all my friends. One reviewer suggested that this hotel was not up to the same standard as the other Taj hotels. I would say that if any of the other Taj hotels are of the same standard as Buckingham Gate then i want to try them all. Next stop The pierre in New York!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family

Dear Loren75,

Thank you very much for your most amazing review, I am delighted to know that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us and that you will stay with again when you return to the city.

I guess one can truly say that we love to have families staying with us and as you know now, having a two or a three bedroom suite gives you all the comforts of a home while experiencing all the services of a fine 5 star hotel.

I am also very grateful for your mention of my colleagues, they do work very hard to ensure our guests enjoy their stay but they also genuine, warm and very caring specially when young children are around.

Please do continue using our Taj Hotels around the world and if you are going to New York we will be delighted to assist you to stay at The Pierre, look out for the Petit Pierre childrens program, you will love it.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write about us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Best wishes