“Great Budget Hotel on East End” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ibis London City-Shoreditch
Ranked #334 of 1,086 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles
“Great Budget Hotel on East End”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2007

We stayed here in April 2007 for a few days. The hotel is in a great location near Tower Bridge, Brick Lane, Southbank and other East End attractions. Located right next to a tube station and within walking distance to great sights/dining, this budget hotel delivered more than expected; A clean, spacious room, helpful staff and great price. It is a no-frills room, so it's best for a trip where you intend to spend your time out and about rather than in the room. Room did have nice bathroom, LCD TV and enough room for two adults to stay comfortably. I'd easily stay again on future trips.

• Liked — Location & Price
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DJFuzzyK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Oslo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2007

We were 4 adults staying in this hotel, and took advantage of the 3-night stay at unbeatable 48 GBP per night.

Hotel was easy to find, just 30 meters around the corner from the tube station Aldgate East, very convenient. Taxi from Oxford Street cost us about 16 GBP one night. Nice and welcoming staff, internet in lobby and free newspapers.

Rooms were very clean with enough space. Bathroom was spotless. TV and internet available.

Breakfast however, was rather chaotic. We stayed in the Easter weekend and the hotel seemed fully booked. Loooong waiting line and they seemed to run out of everything while people served themselves, and the staff had to replace constantly. We complained and they were nice enough to remove the breakfast from the bill(about 5 GBP). Next morning we had breakfast at a small place nearby instead, solid english breakfast for only 3,30 which can be highly recommended.

The bar and restaurant was good. Nearby is a nice traditional english pub, and there is also a small grocery store nearby where you can buy some snacks or beverages for the night.

Would definately stay here again for this price, but I'll have my breakfast another place.

• Liked — The price, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Breakfast wating line
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Panserhansen
Darlington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2007

I stayed at The London City Ibis in March 2007 and would like to share my experiences with other people. On entering the Hotel to leaving the Hotel it was a very pleasurable stay. The room was very spacious and very clean. The en-suite was very spacious and the shower was great. The staff were very friendly smart, helpful. I would definatly book to go again. Sandra Longstaff

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank DarlingtonOsprey
darlington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2007

it was our first trip to London. and will not be our last Great hotel
good location. for the tube.it was just round the corner. The staff could not have being more helpful. the tower of London was just down the road about one mile. we are coming back to London
again next year and we will stop at this hotel. The rooms were very clean and tidy.

• Liked — the shower
  • Disliked — to warm
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank redkiteDarlington
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2007

I stayed at the Ibis London City for two nights in March and, overall, was pleased with my stay. It is conveniently located next to a tube stop, and is not far from St. Paul's and the Tower of London. My room was very clean and well-kept. Though amenities were sparse (no mini-bar, only one towel per person, etc.), I felt I had everything I needed for a short visit.

My friend and I paid about $200 total for our 2-night stay, breakfast included. This was, by far, the best deal I found for hotels in the heart of London, and I did my fair share of research. At the Ibis, you get what you pay for. There are no luxuries, but it was much nicer than staying at a hostel or a privately-run "budget" hotel (which can be hit-or-miss).

Our double room was fairly large, and the bathroom had very modern fixtures. I was impressed with the water pressure in the shower -- better than most American hotels! There was plenty of room for our suitcases (and I had been coming from a longer stay in the UK, so I had lots of stuff!). Maybe it was my exhaustion after nonstop sightseeing, but I found the bed to be very comfortable. The breakfast was a lovely continental spread, with plenty of rolls, croissants, bread, muffins, cereal, fruit, yogurt, and beverages. Well worth the money spent. We also dined at the in-hotel restaurant for supper, which was quite delicious, convenient, and affordably priced.

The one complaint I have concerns the front-desk staff. Most of the people working at the front desk did not speak English very well, which proved to be a problem when checking in and later getting directions. I had to repeat my name over and over again until finally, I had to write down my name for the guy in order for him to understand it (and it's a very common American/English/Irish name). The next day, when we asked for directions to the nearest Catholic church, another reception clerk looked at us like we had three heads. We asked again, and he pointed in some direction, saying, "I think there's one down that way." This was not very helpful! But the staff was friendly enough and usually figured out what we were saying eventually. It's just something to prepare yourself for when checking in!

Overall, it was a decent place to stay and I would certainly stay there again.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The front-desk staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Pearlygirl103
Bluffton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2007

I stayed at this location for business in the middle of February and found it to be very convenient to the City and just a short walk to Lloyd's. The bus stop is just outside the front door and the Aldgate tube station is just around the corner. The room was small by American standards, but about right for UK hotels. It was clean and quiet with reliable high speed internet. The daily internet cost was pds 9.95 which seemed high especially since there was no weekly rate available. The continental breakfast was of good quality and reasonably priced. The french restaurant and pub off the lobby were usually filled, although I did not try either. There were too many good bangladeshi restaurants on Brick Lane two blocks away. I will stay here again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — high cost of internet connection
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank RoadWarriorBluffton
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2007

We were very happy with this hotel.

the bed was a little hard, but we slept fine. The shower was great, lots of power and nice and warm. The hotel was clean and the personnel friendly, although hard to understand sometimes. The breakfast was great,nice croissants. On a limited budget, this is what i expect, a clean room, a good shower, and right next to the underground. next time ill definitely stay here again, because the hotel is only 50 meters from the subway, only the subway travel time stands between you and any location in London.

8/10

• Liked — shower
  • Disliked — one unintelligable staffmember
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business