“Clean and trying to be trendy! ”

Ibis London City-Shoreditch
Ranked #323 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights on business. The public areas are really nice and quite trendy looking compared to the likes of Premier Inn. It doesn't quite extend the the corridors and rooms by that doesn't really matter because they're clean and does the job for 1 or 2 nights. My room (236) smelt quite strongly of damp but there was no evidence of it so it may have been from the bathroom or recent carpet cleaning?

There always seems to be a big queue at reception so prepare to wait to check in/out.

The bathrooms are small but well formed; it feels like a cabin bathroom on a boat or plane and there was no bath in this room but the shower was just fine. Bring toiletries because you only get an 'all in one' hanging in the shower.

Didn't have breakfast but did have dinner one night. Chicken pitta pocket which was reasonable and quite tasty. I would stay again

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Terence B, General Manager at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Hotel Ibis London City. It is always a pleasure to read constructive feedback from our guests in order to improve on our standards and service. I apologies for the fact your room smelt. I can reassure you that the importance of thorough daily room inspections by the housekeeping team has been reiterated to the relevant staff so as to ensure that the room and carpet is free from smoke smells and stains. We also appreciate that the delay in checking in to your room was not acceptable and I can assure you that this situation is not at all typical of the standard you can expect of Ibis. Your comments have been reviewed with the Front of House Manager and corrective measures have been implemented to avoid a similar situation occurring in the future.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kind Regards

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We've stayed in Ibis Hotels in this country and in Europe. They represent good value for £50 a night or so. But I just spent 2 nights here and one was about £137 and the other about £195. And you still just got the basic Ibis package with no extra frills. No wardrobe, soap in squeezy bottles hanging from the wall, no mini bar, no dressing gown. I guess the prices reflect the market but you would expect them to try harder. Breakfast and dinner OK - and not over-priced. Staff friendly but check-in slow and service in restaurant bit erratic.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Terence B, General Manager at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear Guest,
I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. We welcome all feedback that we receive from our guests and will endeavour to use such feedback constructively.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back next time.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ibis Hotels
1  Thank Pablo U
Terence B, General Manager at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Reviewed June 1, 2014

My friend and I stayed for a weekend, and found this hotel to be everything that we wanted. Having visited London in the past, I knew that hotels here can be hit or miss. We shopped awhile just to find one at a good price that had an elevator. Yes, this can be a problem with the older budget hotels. (We had a lot of luggage) The Ibis is new and has most everything that you could want for a moderate price. The room had Wi-Fi, TV, hair drier, coffee maker, and really nice comfy beds. The twin room was small, but not uncomfortably so. We had just gotten off of a cruise ship, so it seemed big to us.
The location was good. It was a block to a subway station, and there was a small grocery store next door. We could walk to the Tower of London.
We found the staff helpful. They arranged a shuttle ride back to the airport for us.
I can't comment on the restaurant, since we didn't eat there.
We would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis London City.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 31, 2014

This is a good hotel to stay in during your visit to London. It is very close to the subway and rooms are correct.

Which I did not find very nice is that a hotel in London only serves French food on its restaurant. I think this type of hotel should serve continental food and not only focus on a single country.

Wi-Fi connection ended aftr 24h and you had to reconnect every day.

For a whole week, reception didn't have any maps because they just ran out of them before our arrival.

Room Tip: If you go there, don't go to the hotel's restaurant, too expensive and only French food.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Hotel Ibis London City. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments, which we have since addressed.

Kind regards

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I've stayed at Ibis hotels in Milan and Dubai and both were fantastic hotels, so I went on that past experience when it came to booking for a business trip to London. Ibis London City lived up to my expectations that I have always experienced from the Ibis brand. The hotel itself is in the more "business" focused area of London, which is great if you're in town for business. Their facilities cater for businessmen (and general tourists) where there is free wifi throughout the hotel and in the rooms, and they have a large lounge area and restaurant for if you have business meetings or need to entertain guests. For a touristy stay, the hotel is a bit "out of the way" from all the main city sights, but Aldgate East station is literally a one minute walk (even less) from the hotel and will quickly and easily get you around to the main stations. The bedroom was a good size and well maintained, and bathroom was clean. The only thing the room lacked was a mini bar/fridge, which all the other Ibis hotels I have stayed in, have had. Staff were wonderful and helpful upon check in and throughout our stay. Would definitely recommend the Ibis London City hotel, and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your great experience.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I stayed at the IBIS London City for two nights. Check-in was very friendly and efficient and although my twin room was on the small side it was still more that adequate to meet my needs. The bathroom is "pod" style and had a powerful shower. I noticed on my second morning a couple of hairs were on the white trim near the shower door but that wasn't a show stopper as the shower, washbasin & toilet themselves appeared very clean following the housekeepers visit. I ate in the restaurant the first night and had an excellent veggie chilli which was good value for a hotel. The second night was a real bonus. The hotel threw a party for all residents to celebrate their recent ground floor refurbishment so it was free drinks all round - all night! Canapes & a light buffet were on offer during the party but as there was a limited choice for a vegetarian, one of the waitresses kindly organised the chef to make me a margarita pizza which was a real nice touch and typical of the excellent staff at this hotel. Breakfast was all-you-can-eat buffet style, full English if you wanted and continental if you didn't. Again, the breakfast was great value for a hotel. I would definitely stay here again if I was down here on business.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Ibis London City. It is always a pleasure to receive such a positive feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and overall Ibis experience! I would like to also reassure you that I have noted your comment about housekeeping matter, which we have since addressed.

Irena