“another great stay at IBIS”

Ibis London City-Shoreditch
Ranked #331 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
“another great stay at IBIS”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Having stayed at a few IBIS hotels now both in England and Europe I was not surprised at the fantastic quality of everything from clean quiet room to lovely breakfast with everything you could wish for, location is great with two tube stations just round the corner, and within two minutes walk Petticoat Lane, just doesn't get better than that, the hotel bar at night was buzzing and plentyof choice, good beers etc. And pleasant staff, look forward to staying there again in the near future.

Room Tip: Can't say, we got rooms at the rear so perhaps that was good, less noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Patrick T
Terence B, General Manager at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Human Resources & Administration Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sibiu, Romania
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My business trip started terrible once entering this awful hotel, that treated me with total disrespect and racism. Even if I have had a reservation, I've been asked for a deposit just to make sure I'll pay the accommodation...before the check in. I was outraged by this kind of treatment towards foreigners. I had to pay the entire cost otherwise they wouldn't let me to enter the room (it was 10 pm). Imagine this: an unaccompanied young woman in a foreign country, at 10 PM, no accommodation, left in the street if she didn't pay her stay before checking in! I was expecting a little more civilized way of handling this kind of situation.
I strongly recommend you to avoid this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Oana P
Terence B, General Manager at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at Ibis London City. I was surprised and disappointed to read that our check-in process caused you to feel the way you did. Especially since our hotel has such a diverse multicultural team that represents over 14 nationalities including the county you feature on your TripAdvisor profile.
Please be assured that no disrespect was intended while checking you in, so my apologise for any offense caused. To secure your reservation the hotel needed to guarantee a form of payment, which we do with all our guests, irrespective of their nationality.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Northumberland, England
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last month. The rooms are fairly basic. The bathrooms are self contained pods-unusual.

Breakfast is a basic buffet with little choice and the breakfast plates are very small. Staff are very friendly.

The hotel is next door to Aldgate East tube station and within walking distance of the Tower of London. There is also a Tesco express next door that is open until 11pm.

Would recommend and use again because of great location.

Room Tip: Take a high floor to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Jim D
Terence B, General Manager at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Ibis London City.
I was delighted to read that generally you enjoyed the hotel, our facilities and location.

Kind Regards,
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Disappointing Stay. Ibis goes out of their way to say they will take care of anything you need within 15 minutes or the service is on them. Well, in my csse it was easy - saying "no" takes far less time that that...

I arrived after an overnight flight and had an hour to change and get to my all-day meting. The hotel simply said "rooms not ready - come back in 4 hours". My repeated explanation that I did not need a room, just a place to stay fell on death ears. In the end, in an act of supreme service, I was granted special permission (how big of them!) to use the public toilette to change. Great start.

Later in the stay I asked for an iron and ironing board to be brought to my room - I was rudely told told to go to a room on another floor.

I asked for a bottle opener, and was just told to go downstairs to the bar instead.

etc...

The room was fine (though small), but the building facing it had it lights on the entire day/night, and without proper curtains, it meant there was no possibility to go to sleep in a dark room.

So basically, if you want a pre-fabricated hotel, with zero personality, no flexibility and to be told to go to hell if you don't want exactly what has been set up by Ibis - then this is the perfect place for you.

Room Tip: pick another hotel...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Giullaume D, TEAM MEMBER at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this review, October 28, 2016
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the ibis London City - Shoreditch.

ELENA
England
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I have just checked in today. On booking I made it clear that I was disabled and have mobility issues. The room I received at check in was entirely unsuitable. Upon complaining I was moved to another room, but it is equally unsuitable. The staff were helpful in moving rooms but they are totally unsuitable. Unfortunately I have to stay for five nights. It is a business booking and I shall be doing my utmost to ensure my employers do not use this chain again.

1 Thank muzziad
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Ibis London City. I was extremely disappointed to learn about your dissatisfaction with your accessible room. Although you found the team to be helpful in moving you to one of our 19 accessible rooms, it is still unfortunate that the second room also did not meet your expectation.
We aim to meet and exceed our guests’ expectation and unfortunately on this occasion we failed to do that. I therefore sincerely apologise for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us and I would appreciate if you gave us an opportunity to discuss this further. So if possible, could you please contact the hotel direct at a time convenient to you.
Thank you again for your feedback and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2014

It's been about a year since I last stayed here, due to a change in job. Long enough for the lobby, reception, bar and restaurant to be refurbished in the new IBIS style, which was nice - very modern. Check in was reasonably efficient.

When I got to my room I had to do some work and as I was labouring away I heard a very low, slightly muffled, thumping noise - like a concrete pile being hammered. I didn't really think much of this until I returned later after a night out.

The noise continued, at intermittent but frequent intervals, all through the night.

I don't know whether it was related to the underground which passes under the hotel, Crossrail, which seems to be everywhere or what, but it made for a very disturbed night. So overall, despite the ground floor refurb and the usual IBIS standard room, not a good experience at all.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Terence B, General Manager at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Guest,
I was sorry to learn that your stay on this occasion fell short of your expectations and I apologise for any discomfort or inconvenience caused.
We welcome all feedback that we receive from our guests and will endeavour to use such feedback constructively. Feedback such as yours that highlights areas where we could be doing better is particularly useful and we are grateful for your time in sharing your experience with us.
Once again, I am very sorry to hear of the disturbance you experienced during your stay and I am hoping to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards,