“Mixed Emotions”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Leeds, UK
“Mixed Emotions”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Having stayed here for 5 days, I find it difficult to rate this hotel. I generally like the ibis hotel chain. The rooms are basic yet clean and modern and I'd definitely book here again. The location is great, a stone's throw from the nearest tube station, and walking distance to the City. The staff were extremely helpful and polite at every point, even when I needed additional assistance.

But, at the end of the day, you get what you pay for, and it is a budget hotel. TV channels were limited (somehow they offer a worse selection other than Freeview). Breakfast not being included was an inconvenience, however, £9 a day for "limited" internet access was my only real complaint. I can understand it being charged as an extra, but it shouldn't be charged at such a premium when you are offering a partial service (no iplayer streaming etc).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Terence B, General Manager at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for writing a comment about your last stay at our hotel.
I was glad to read that you enjoyed our hotel facilities, and that the staff was helpful to you and they met your expectations.
I was sorry to hear the inconvenience you suffered with internet, this is a matter that we have been already addressing and we are working on improving. I do apologize for it.

It is our hope that you give us another chance to better serve you in the future.

Kind Regards
Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed in the hotel 4 nights. It's really good located, close to the metro line and right in the City district. The rooms are quite small but very clean and modern. For this price it's really one of the best hotels. Breakfast was ok, quite a big variety but nothing special
I would definitely come back there.

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay at Ibis London City.
I am glad that our hotel is convenient for your stay and you are happy with the services we provide.

We look forward to your next visit to London.

Lancaster
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Very clean. A very comfortable bed and pillows, and no noise from the street. All staff I encountered were pleasant and efficient, and Gabriel on reception went to a lot of trouble to ensure I would have no problems using the internet in my room. Very convenient for Aldgate East tube. I'd certainly stay there again.

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your last stay at our hotel.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our facilities and also that the service from our team member, Gabriel was exceptional. This comment will serve as a great motivator for the team, since this performance is an example to follow.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Situated right next to Aldgate East tube station, this place served its purpose well - a comfortable base hotel for the wife and I to enjoy a weekend in London.
The bed was firm and a king size. Perfect. Pillows were soft and everything was extrememly clean.
Yes - there was street noise outside but what do you expect? You are in the middle of a city that doesn't sleep and although the windows do a good job to block out the sound, you will never get silent. Just when booking, ask for a room that is not situated facing the main road.
Didn't use the restaurant although looked good. Fair price. The shower was fantastic but the towels could do with being washed using some fabric softener!
The TV was the only let down - still a 4:3 ratio screen. But that didn't bother me as I think I only watched it for about an hour in my whole stay. ;-)

Room Tip: If you book - careful you don't pay more than £90. I got the room cheaply through a 3rd party...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We appreciate you left a comment about your last stay at Ibis London City.
We are delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay and our services exceeded your expectation, all the team will be happy to know.

We would be glad to welcome you back in your next visit to London.

Best Regards,
Nottingham UK
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I use this hotel on a regular basis when travelling on business. Its not fancy but you can get reasonable rates, its clean and the staff are efficient. WiFi provision is poor. Handy for Aldgate East Tube.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stays at Ibis London City.
I am glad that the hotel is convenient for your visits and these are enjoyable.

Thank you for your loyalty, we look forward to welcoming you next time.

Hong Kong
Reviewed February 16, 2013

It is good and value for money. The people in the restaurant on the ground floor were quite nice. My reservation didn't include the breakfast; however, I only paid 9 pounds per adult (half price for my kid) to have a nice buffet breakfast in each morning of my stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Terence B, General Manager at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Ibis London City. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind Regards
Irena Hoch
HR & Admin Coordinator
New Delhi
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The hotel is very conveniently located right at the Aldgate East Station. The room was much larger than I expected, having stayed at Ibis properties in Paris and Casablanca. The room was clean and the sleep quality was great. Old street, with its quirky clubs, is 5 min cab ride. We were two girls and we felt pretty safe coming in late, or walking about at night to pick up some wine from Costcutters. However, pre prepared to pay 9 quid for wifi for the entire day or keep 1 quid coins handy for using internet in the lobby for just 15 minutes. Overall, definitely value for money!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank gypsicsoul
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing a comment about your last stay at our hotel.
I was delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and the local area, I am happy that it was convenient for the purpose of your visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Irena Hoch