“Nice Atmosphere”

Add it.
ICA Cinema
Ranked #897 of 1,631 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: The Institute of Contemporary Arts offers alternative and vintage films.
Dublin, Ireland
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Nice Atmosphere”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I saw a Tibetan film here as part of the BFI London film festival and really enjoyed it. The film was undoubtedly quirky, my boyfriend seemed a little bored at times with it, but I love independant films and himalayan cultures so this was perfect for me. The book shop at the front was nice to browse and they had a nice bar to relax in.
If you like independant films I would come here before the BFI, its got a cozier feel to it.

London, United Kingdom
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“tiny little cinema”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I love the ICA , its not smart and has a rather amateur old school art project feel to it , but they show different films here and the bar is good . rather chilly though I didn't take my coat off .

Visited December 2013
1 Thank claire m
London, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Intimate cinema experience in the heart of London”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Initially surprised by the size of cinema 2, but for me, the impact of watching a powerful and moving film (How to Survive a Plague) was magnified by the venue.
I see that other reviewers have commented that the air conditioning was ineffective, and also that noise from other cinema-goers was intrusive in such a small space. I am sure any such noise would have been irritating, but didn't occur on the occasion we were there. No issues with air conditioning. We didn't visit the bar, but the shop was well stocked with merchandise including books, photographs and prints, DVDs. Eclectic and quirky selection of art house films etc.

Midsomer Norton, United Kingdom
306 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 511 helpful votes
“Lovely centre - Pity about the air condioning”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

There are two cinemas, cinema one and two. I attended on Sunday 17 November 2013 Cinema 2 which is small and boxy. Immediately on entering the theatre I sensed a fetid sweaty smell. I asked the attendant if she could turn the air conditioning on and she disappeared around the corner to the cash desk but I don't think she actually did anything. All she did was to open the doors which was no use to anybody.

After the movie I insisted on speaking to the manager who was helpful enough but confirmed that there were continuing problems with the air-conditioner which has to feed two cinemas of different sizes. It is clear that there is a design fault because the first and bigger Cinema gets preferential treatment.

I stuck to my guns and made it quite clear that this was not acceptable. I did get some compensation but I'm not going to hold my breath for change because redesigning an air conditioning system costs an arm and a leg and takes time.

On another note, in a small cinema, if people take popcorn in and rattle crisp packets it does echo around due to the small dimensions of the whole place.

Sometimes you get no adverts but in our case we had to sit through 20 min of idiotic adverts and trailers which combined with the heat made this a rather irritating experience.

Apart from the cinema there are normally two or three exhibitions and a splendid range of books. The bar / cafe is nothing to shout about (pun - ha ha) but for those used to noise levels somewhat similar to sitting inside a railway station it is fine. Downstairs there is a slightly quieter area leading on to a theatre that is used sometimes.

Coral Gables, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Small”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

A small theatre, come early. Adjacent to a busy bar where you can hang out before or after the show.

Visited July 2013