“Enjoy the atmosphere but ignore the food”
Review of The Star Tavern

The Star Tavern
Ranked #408 of 1,289 Nightlife in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Recognised as one of the best pubs in Belgravia, The Star Tavern is an award-winning, traditional London pub. Our emphasis is on great service, good beers and home-cooked food - and we're also extremely handy if you're hosting any private functions near Knightsbridge.
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Made the mistake of visiting the pub yesterday for Sunday lunch.The roast lamb was awful ;you needed a microscope to find the meat amidst the fat and gristle. It was a very disappointing lunch which included a couple of tiny pieces of carrot ,one small piece of broccoli and a burnt Yorkshire pudding.
Leaving aside the food this is a wonderful location for a traditional pub which is a great place in which to have a drink or two .It seems to have been preserved in aspic and probably hasn't changed very much over the past one hundred years. I enjoyed the atmosphere and drink ;such a shame about the food.

1  Thank nigel1949

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Visited with friends, one of which is a real ale fan and who loved the beer in this place. I can't comment on the beer, but the mulled cider was very tasty, and the food was good, although two out of three of the pies on the specials menu were not available which was a bit disappointing.
Place itself is cosy and was nicely decorated for xmas - lovely real fire kept the place nice and toasty. Was busy and a bit noisy with young children running around but can't blame the pub for that.

Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Came here before the proms. It stank! Seriously bad. Of eggs, or sewage. We were assured by the barman that the smell would go.... It didn't.
Such a shame, good location and old man-y pub.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

The Star Tavern is a special place in a little mews in Belgravia. It is worth searching out. The staff are always pleasant. The pub is fun and friendly. The first floor (upstairs) dining room is lovely and a great place for a date night out with the wife or with good friends. The upstairs decor is that of a library with a good selection of books. In fact for a time I was visiting with such regularity that I read most of one of the volumes on the lives of King Edward V. The menu is varied and the food is good. My only complaint is that it is hard to know if and when the upstairs room is open or if it is booked up. Even with advanced reservations the upstairs is often not available. In the Spring and Summer the outside view is striking with all the floor baskets. Enjoy this gastro-pub, it is a keeper.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have to start by saying-- we didn't eat or drink at the Star Tavern. That was the plan-- but showed up too late one Sunday evening after the dinner cut off time. We arrived at 5:20 pm looking forward to a nice pub dinner, but discovered that they stop serving food at 5:00pm. A little disappointed.

Now to the Star’s defense, it does have the Sunday food serving schedule on their website. But I didn’t notice it, so I guess our bad. We are from America and are used to having dinner after 5 on Sundays.

So-- the reason I am writing a review on a place I haven't even eaten at .............. is to give other American tourist a heads up. That the Star looks great, and Im sure it is, but make sure to check the serving schedule before heading out to find the pub, if you are looking for a meal on a Sunday evening.