“Melody Gardot concert”
Review of Barbican Centre

Barbican Centre
Ranked #291 of 1,815 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: The Barbican Centre is the largest multi-arts centre in Europe, featuring art, film, music, theatre, dance and education all under one roof and under one creative direction. There's a great choice of eating and drinking at the Barbican, with something to please every taste.
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Melody Gardot was new to us. When she came on in a bennie hat and dark glasses I wondered - Oh what have we here. She draped herself on the piano and with over exaggerated movements with her hands and arms although the piano keys were burning her - and then a very melodramatic somber start reminded me of the dear Eric Morecombe - I am playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!!!!! HOWEVER, her next piece moved on and up and was excellent and proved her to be an accomplished player and singer. The concert just got better and her Band (just 5 in total) were absolutely amazing not accompanying her but totally integral to her whole performance. Multi talented each playing more than one instrument and two of them also singing with her. Her voice is outstanding and I would just love to hear her sing a more well known song to show the absolute extremes of her voice. She chatted and made jokes as well as singing as was a very entertaining young lady. The audience obviously new her and gave her a well deserved en-core and standing ovation. Well done Melody.

Thank H. K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,188)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"moorgate"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed April 1, 2013

After staying at the near by hotel Montcalm me and my partner decided we would have a nice night out nearby and go watch a film at the barbican as it appeared to be a very nice place. Forgetting the poor choice in film we were very disappointed with the whole experience, the price was extremely high to begin with though I understand the establishment is upper class it is not worth the ticket price. We walked into the room which was very well presented however when the curtains opened the size of the screen was very disappointing I expected for the size of the room and price it to be double what it was. Then to much more disappointment the screen decreased even more, I understand this is for the resolution but still I have a much better experience in my my home town with a bigger screen, lovely snacks and refreshments, polite staff and its less money. Would recommend no one else to waste their money their.

1  Thank samantha B
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Barbican center is a surreal place in the heart of city, with interior gardens and man-made pond, a concert hall, two theaters, three cinemas, two art galleries, library, two trade exhibition halls, five conference rooms, shops and conservatory. It's labyrinth of cultural activities and every time i have visited for a performance, the experience was magical!
My recent visit was for a Samuel Beckett play, Watt, that it was fantastic to say the least.
Always offering very interesting exhibitions and cultural events, Barbican center is a place that worth the visit whether you live in London or you are visiting and you yearning something compelling and cultural!

3  Thank Theodora03
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Went to the Barbican for the first time to see Glen Hansard. We were very impressed by the main room. great seats and the sound quality was superb.

We will definitely go back to this venue.