“Chocolate aside, fantastic food..”
Review of Rabot 1745

Rabot 1745
Reserve with OpenTable
Rabot 1745 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #682 of 22,842 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southwark
Description: Rabot 1745 brings to Londoners the cocoa-centric cuisine of its hugely successful sibling, the Boucan Restaurant, launched in Saint Lucia in 2011 to the adoration of New Yorkers just a short-haul flight away. A unique restaurant and bar, with a terrace overlooking the bustling Borough Market, Rabot 1745 has the rough-and-polished elegance of a cocoa plantation house in the heart of London, featuring authentic touches like hurricane-felled Ironwood, brought home from our own 250-year-old cocoa estate in Saint Lucia. As well as a range of inventive cocktails, Rabot 1745 offers a delicious menu crafted by Chef John Bentham, featuring contemporary dishes that draw on the best culinary traditions of the Caribbean, West Indies, and Britain, using roasted cocoa as a subtle savoury spice.
London, United Kingdom
“Chocolate aside, fantastic food..”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I just went here last night. What a great meal! I know that it is probably blasphemous to say, but the whole chocolate theme is a bit gimmicky. The cacao nibs sprinkled on the rum sour cocktail did not really add anything, but the drink was delicious. My starter, Sea Tartare, was fantastic, but again, I didn't think it was the chocolate ingredient that made it so. Same for my main, boneless rabbit wrapped in bacon. The best rabbit dish I've had in a long time. This is not to say the theme didn't work in some dishes. My wife's Scotch egg came with a wonderful cacao oil emulsion and the lamb shank had a rich cacao rub. And of course, as you would imagine in a chocolate themed restaurant, the desserts were amazing. Baba rum cake with chocolate cream and 3 mousse, one better than the next. We will be going back, but not because it's a chocolate restaurant, but rather because the food and drink are creative and delicious!

Visited February 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Nice Food! Well worth a visit”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We went here based on a recomendation and were not disapointed.

The food selection is lovely, and it tastes good. The chocolate mouse, which comes as 3 levels of Cocoa intensity is lovely and well worth a taste solo if you want a coffee break after walking around the market.

• Visited January 2014
London, UK
“Good location in Borough Market”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We had a window table looking down from our first floor onto the bustling Saturday market below. Busy, and we needed to book. Small 3 course menu for £22. I thought the warm aubergine mousse and the leek and potato cake were the best courses - so good for vegetarians. Cocoa is worked subtly into a number of dishes. Service was fine though there was quite a long wait for our main courses. Short wine list and quite expensive. Tables are close together so not ideal for romantic tete-a-tete. We enjoyed the Vacqueyres though a bit pricey. If you like chocolate, there is a huge range in the Hotel Chocolat branch below (which is under same ownership)

• Visited February 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Eat here!!!”
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

We ate here following a friends recommendation and it has quickly become one of our favourite restaurants in London!

The food is absolutely delicious and we love the borough market setting. It's well worth 5 stars!!

Try their Portuguese red wine, seared carpaccio (or sea tartare), slow roast lamb and the 'chocolate genesis'! Yum! Although I'm yet to hear a bad thing about any of the menu choices - enjoy!

Visited February 2014
“This is not a chocolate restaurant...”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

It's so so much more.

The menu uses elements of the cocoa plant rather than just chocolate - except of course in the desserts where it's used very elegantly.

While I'd consider the food and service to be fine dining, the atmosphere (music, decor) is cool and relaxed which makes the experience not at all stuffy. And dining there IS an experience. The waiter was incredibly well informed and clearly passionate about the product - knowing the food and drinks menu in detail. While I had my heart set on the beef carpaccio and saddle of rabbit which were both SO good, my partner couldn't decide and went with the waiters recommendation of the monk fish. It was head and fins above any other fish main he's had in London before. Incredible flavours.

And don't even get me started on the cocktails! The Fresh Cocoa Pulp Martini and the Chocolate Soother - OMG.

The prices are far less than I would expect for food of this quality which means we'll be back at every possible opportunity! I can't wait!

• Visited February 2014