“VERY basic but excellent value”

easyHotel London South Kensington
Ranked #368 of 837 Specialty Lodging in London
Macclesfield, England, United Kingdom
“VERY basic but excellent value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Decided to give this a try to see whether it was bearable for a business trip. To be honest, for the price I paid I can't really fault it. It does the job very well, but I doubt I'll come again, it was just too basic. The only furniture in the room is the bed. Two hooks on the wall is where you hang clothes. The tiny 'pod' bathroom was fine except the water was slow draining in the basin. The shower was perfectly adequate. I had a room in the basement with no window, but that meant it was dark and quiet during the night, which I like. There is a vent with a quiet airflow into the room, which didn't disturb me and kept the room at a nice temperature. What it does very well is give you a place to wash and sleep, but don't expect it to give you anything else!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tony S
Angela A, Operations Manager at easyHotel London South Kensington, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience with us on Trip Advisor. Your feedback allows us to make the right decisions to improve the experience for all future guests.

We aim to accommodate travellers looking for a very cheap accommodation option in London. We are not for everybody but I am pleased you gave us a try.

Angela

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

It was my first experience of the easy hotel. I didn't expect much for the £29.00 a night but it was a last minute choice due to the snow.The web site was a nightmare to book on and the room price changed in the couple of hours it took to make the booking work, I filled in the booking form and it went right through the payment process but sent no email confirmation 4 times! It also then told me my card number was incorrect.It wasn't.- If you don't get a confirmation email..it hasn't gone through! Easy hotel help email was useless as got an email after I had stayed!which just said 'your booking is done'! I knew the room would be small from other reviews and they weren't wrong! If you are of a larger frame I would suggest you skip the shower unless you want to get intimate with the shower curtain and risk turning off the shower with parts of your anatomy whilst turning round (and not the part that would make you boast about your abilities:) I may have just had a bad room on a bad day but the room was without doubt the coldest room I have ever stayed in as the ac was faulty and wasn't repaired in the 3 days I stayed. The first night I complained and they said it would be looked at, the second night it hadn't been sorted and the 3rd I slept fully clothed. Due to my work schedule I came in very late 3am etc and just wanted to crash out.I found out that they had heaters available but didn't offer me one and I guess I should have kicked up a fuss to move 'room' but was too tired. The quilt cover was ripped and had no fasteners which unfortunately revealed a quilt that I advised them to give a decent burial as it was not very pleasant and looked like it had been in use for a long long time. A bit of the ceiling was hanging off, the dimmer switch didn't dim and there were used tissues under the mattress which I discovered when looking for dropped my lost keys. To be fair the manager has emailed me twice and apologized for the problems and has said that he has spoken to the cleaners and maintenance staff and also disposed of the quilt. I can only assume he is true to his word and look forward to hearing other travelers new reviews to see if it was just a one off bad experience. I would certainly give the hotel a second go to see for myself and will also try another branch at some point as I like to give a second chance. Cheap yes,basic yes, small..very. I can accept all this for the price but the basic requirement of a hotel room is to be warm/comfortable and clean. Oh yes...If you don't like orange as a choice for interior design you will not enjoy the decor...

Room Tip: no mobile signal on lower floor,take your thermal underwear just in case,Sainsbury's up the road...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank calbo101
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

wifi and tv was chargeable which is cool. There was no option to pay for fresh air.Temperature in the room was non adjustable. woke up in the midnight at 2.30 suffocating . felt i might not survive the night. booked a room in the part way hotel ( next to the easy hotel south kensington)for a price of 120 pounds to survive the night. Never ever ever ever ever im gonnna stay in easy hotel in my life.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Rehan K
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed in a standard room with no windows, it cost £38, and was in a great location. If you dont mind very basic then this is a great hotel. Our room literally had a bed and 3 hooks on the wall, there was about a foot between the bed and the wall, but the website does give you dimensions so it was expected! The floor in lino and shower room/toilet is tiny but kind of cool! The reception and cleaning staff were really lovely and helpful. The bed was comfy and we slept 3.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Emfog
Tempe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

The hotel was exactly as represented. Rooms are tiny but ok for 1 person with little luggage. Good location. Tiny room but I knew that. Internet connection was terrible and kept cutting out. Front desk tried to help but it never worked in 3 days. 2 of 3 front desk people were friendly and helpful. For 35pounds it was fine. After 3 days I moved somewhere else because by then I needed a window. My room was clean but on the 5th floor, so a bit of a climb.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower level. They said single rooms have a bit more floor space.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Tenaflygirl
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

My sister and I stayed one night in this hotel and to be honest we probably wouldn't stay more than one night but in its favour it was cheap by London standards. The furniture consisted of one double bed and 2 hangers on the wall to hang clothes. The room we paid for had no windows but you can pay extra to get one. I like a hotel room to be quiet and I heard nothing which was very welcome.
Think of the loo room on an Easyjet plane and this will give you an idea of the size of the shower/toilet room. The shower was good (powerful and warm).
There is a person on reception 24 hours and the 2 staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful. There is no parking at the hotel but there is free street parking on Saturdays after 1.30pm and on Sundays. As mentioned above I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a week's holiday but if you are looking for a cheap room in London and will not be spending time in the hotel it would be sufficient. Another comment on this site "you would not swing a cat" in the room gives a good indication of the size of the room. The hotel is in a very swanky and safe neighbourhoood.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Gerry90_11
Kylie K, Manager at easyHotel London South Kensington, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback is very much appreciated. I am happy to read that our hotel has suited your needs and I am pleased to see that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Kylie
Duty Manager
easyHotel South Kensington
Email:Enquiries@southken.easyhotel.com
Chertsey, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Two of use stayed in the small room with no window for one night. The room is well, more of a cupboard, which was probably to be expected although I was quite surprised that there literally was only room for one person to stand on the floor area of the bedroom, so a lot of manoeuvring around one another was required! There was literally, no room to swing a cat!

There were a couple of hooks which were the only fixtures in the room that you could hang anything up to get it off the floor. The room has no shelf or anything like that, which I feel that since there is little room for luggage and a person alone on the tiny floor space, perhaps the hotel could consider installing for their guests comfort.

The shower room was functional, a bit of a squeeze again but pretty amazing how they've shoehorned it all in. The hot water took a very long time ti come through. After waiting about 5 minutes, I ws about to get dressed and make a complaint but it came through eventually. The power of the shower was a bit pathetic and the shower head was in a pretty poor state of repair with a lot of leaking out of the sides of the shower head and pretty grubby looking. There was a rather nasty smell coming from the drains. A good dose of bleach down those wouldn't go amiss. There was no plug for the sink either.

The rooms themselves are 'pods' that are constructed within a massive room inside the large townhouse in Kensington. There are about five in a row so you are pretty cosy all together in there. However I didnt hear a peep out of the ones in our row so they are reasonably sound proof. The pods dont have a lot of ventilation though and they get very very hot and stuffy, especially after two showers and having to dry my hair!

Over all, for one night it was comfortable and the mattress was fine. I dont think I would recommend for any more than the one night though. The check in was fast and the lady let us into our room two hours early which was really good of her. She was pleasent and helpful.

I might consider staying again but I think it's more likely I would pay a little more and go to a travelodge which you can at least move inside and have some connection with the outside world!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katie S
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience with us on trip advisor. Your feedback is very important to me as it highlights what we are doing well and what we need to improve.

I am pleased to read that you found our staff pleasant and helpful and have noted your comments in regards to the shower head and drains and have addressed this issue with housekeeping and maintenance to insure that all shower heads are cleaned thoroughly and replaced where necessary, I sincerely apologise that this may have made your stay unpleasant.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.

Kylie
Duty Manager
easyHotel South Kensington
Email:Enquiries@southken.easyhotel.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
easyHotel Old St / Barbican
Montana Hotel
Montana Hotel
#395 of 1,088 in London
Premier Inn London Kensington (Earl's Court) Hotel

Been to easyHotel London South Kensington? Share your experiences!