“Wonderful”

Neighborhood: City of London
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

The cocktails are so inventive here. We had one that was under a load of popcorn in a popcorn box and one that was in a milkshake metal container with whipped cream, an ice lolly, an oreo etc.. they were delicious!

We also had dinner here, the pulled pork sandwhich was really good! I'd like to go back and try other things from their menu and other cocktails!

I liked that there was a live band and there was a manicure salon in the corner and it was 50% off the bill as it was a wednesday and we had a membership card!

I went to have a catch up with an old friend but it was so loud in there that it was hard to hear one another, that was the only downside.

• Visited August 2014

London
“Will not be going back”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Firstly, I have to stress that I hate giving poor reviews, and that I have already gone back to Steam and Rye with my complaints which were handled quickly - thankyou for that. But I do have to write this as we had an awful experience here I'd like to help others avoid the same thing in future.

We had booked for a group of us to go to Steam and Rye for my friend's hen party - all early thirties and used to nice places, this had had rave reviews from pals who had been before. We booked a table in the restaurant at 8.30 pm - and the £35 set menu " and paid a deposit per head for this. We wanted to be in the restaurant so it was a bit quieter when we were eating, and then paid a further £100 deposit to have a booth in the main bar area after we had eaten.

When we arrived, we were seated immediately in the main bar booth, and told we did not have a restaurant booking. After lots of to-ing and fro-ing, we were finally moved into the dining room at the back, but still told that the so called set menu we had ordered didn't exist. We then had to wait for over an hour to have our order taken, and when our starters finally arrived at about 10 pm we had no plates to eat them off. We asked if we could have some and were very abruptly told " in a minute" which turned out to be more like ten, by which point loads of the starter platter was cold.

Other things that happened included:

Green slime in water - we had a carafe of water on the table and after we had drunk about half of it, a load of what looked like pond slime slopped out into one of the girls' glasses. It clearly hadn't been washed for a long time.
Raw burger served - one girls burger turned up late, and was literally raw. She sent it back and got no food in the end.
We didn't get our mains until half past ten.
Condiments served post meal when everyone had finished
There was a massive physical fight at neighbouring table and no staff in sight to step in
Pregnant friends decided to leave and were told by the staff on reception and a bouncer that they had to wait for taxi outside in the cold as they were "taking up too much space in the reception" which was just appalling.

I could go on but think this gives a flavour of the night.

We cut short our night, didn't take the booth, and it ruined my friend's hen do, as well as upsetting our friends who were pregnant and all of us who wanted to give our girl a good send off.

The only saving grace was one absolutely lovely waiter who was clearly mortified by the whole experience and trying to look after us.

Having spotted that we had been charged for service on the bill on Sunday, I did call Steam and Rye on Monday, and they dealt with my complaint quickly - issuing a refund for the service charge and offering us a VIP table and free cocktails if we go back. The offer was kind, but I'm afraid we really won't be going back any time soon - they may be capable of putting on a good night and pulling out all the stops - but when it counted, they didn't, and my pal will always have to look back at her hen party as the night that was ruined by Steam and Rye. Gutting.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank LondonAlex2009
London, United Kingdom
“Thanks for losing my credit card and giving it to a random person.”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I spent my evening (6 hours) at Steam and Rye after work with a group of friends. We had lots to drink in addition to dinner. In order to create a tab, I gave my Credit Card as security. At the end of the night when asking for the bill and paying it, my Credit Card was not returned to me. I too forgot to collect it but it shouldn’t be my responsibility to remember when socialising and having fun with my friends.
After realising in the morning that I had left my card, I phoned up to be told my card is with them and I could collect it. When going to collect it that evening, I was to find out that it was handed out to a random woman that day! I asked why they didn’t check the ID of the woman, to which I was told “She read the name and said it was her, therefore it must of been hers” – oh dear!

After the stress this caused, the fact I had to come into the city on my day off (time wasted), the time and cost wasted on the phone to my credit card company (one hour as I had to check if it had been used by the random woman, to cancel it and order a new card) I was given an apology and a derisory gesture of £25 – this could get me two drinks, how insulting.

I was happy to forgive and forget this awful mistake despite it causing me stress, costing me money and a lot time if a decent gesture was given to me as it would show how sorry they were, however the “gesture” given to me summarised the overall experience for me and how much they value their customers.

Do not go here unless you are willing to only use cash, very backwards in this day and age.

• Visited July 2014
7 Thank Hursh R
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved it. Phileas Fog takes a train ride!”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I had a great experience both times I have been here. A bunch of us went when it first opened and we had a different mains course each at around 7/8pm. Like everyone else says the food is highly up there! If you are looking for top quality american food, this is the place to go.

I went for the USD steak. The price seems expensive, but you get what you pay for. Just as we were finishing our mains, the lights dimmed, the music started and the can can girls came out! Show time!

Despite the other reviews I thought service was quite quick and the staff were really attentive and good looking girls. The first time I visited, the music was a tad loud, but since I've been back it appears to have been sorted.

I would go again and only hope they keep adding to the animated theme which this night club is based on - imagine Phileas Fog takes a train ride. More night clubs need to stop being boring and start being original and interesting like this one.

• Visited July 2014
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“Poor Attitude!!!”
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Firstly I'd like to say that the food was fantastic.
We pretty much all had the Burger Challenge. It was a mighty tasty burger, although I may say not exactly much of a challenge.
But what lets the whole experience at the venue down was their lack of customer service and an appalling attitude.
We'd pre-booked a table for 12 for a Stag Do.
When we arrived we were told we had two tables, tables which backed on to each other. So then we had to sit as two separate groups of six.
The staff tried firstly to hurry us with our drinks orders and then pressured us to place our food orders.
Constantly asking "Were we ready YET?!?"
11 out of the 12 meals were all good. But one of the chicken dishes just paled in comparison to the rest of our meals.
Like I said we all enjoyed the food, although it was a tad pricey. But it is London, so you expect it really.
Then the night took a downward spiral.....
We were told that we needed to move from our table.
We'd spent nearly £2000 between us on drink and food and we were ushered away. We moved from our tables to an area close to the stage to finish our drinks.
Only to be told that we were standing too close to another table and were told to "MOVE OR LEAVE!"
Working in the industry, this all seemed very heavy handed and also disrespectful.
It seemed all they wanted was our money and then wanted us on our way.
They really do need to put the customers experience first and not the cash coming in.

2 Thank Ant16979