“Much smaller venue than expected” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Steam and Rye

Reserve with OpenTable
Steam and Rye is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,446 of 22,202 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Steakhouse, American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: City of London
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Much smaller venue than expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

Checked this place out online before visiting and was really surprised at how small it was. Have to say it was quite grubby too on the floor around our table - chewing gum and other bits of debris. No excuse for an early sitting either! Chairs were very comfy but incompatible with tables since they were quite low. Therefore had to perch on the edge of the chair for the duration of the meal.

Starter of crab cakes delicious but mushroom mac n cheese mediocre. Loved the clever design of the cocktail menu - very clever. Cocktails were fun and rather large, particularly enjoyed Maize Balls served in a popcorn holder and 5 Dollar Shake. Could only manage the two!

Service pretty much nondescript.

1 Thank Mr5d

London, United Kingdom
“If you want space, don't go for more than 7 on a table”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Where do I begin - WHAT A NIGHT!

I have been before but for a night out. this was my first time to eat and I went with a group of people. I tried to look at the menu beforehand on my phone but it was too small and blurry when zoomed i. So I looked on a computer and it was the same. But I could make out there was UNLIMITED SHRIMP so I didn't need to look any further

The tables are for 2 hours and near the end we were told we had to leave soon which although we knew it was coming, it's still not nice to hear

So we ordered our drinks and this included water which was £3 for a small bottle and £6 for a litre which I don't know about you, but i find this extortionate. Anyway we ordered our food and WOW!

The unlimited shrimps and ribs (pork) came with a side of coleslaw which I wasn't too keen on and chips which were amazing! We ended up getting 15 top ups of shrimps and I personally consumed about 80 shrimps as they were that good! And every time me or someone else had finished our shrimp or someone had finished their ribs, more would just be asked for and they were all fresh and extremely tasty. And the burger and steak ordered was also loved!

ONLY downsides was the extortionate drinks and the fact we were told to hurry up near the end, and we ordered a table for 7 and this was as many as we feel should fit on the table but the same tables were to seat unto 10 which would have just been uncomfortable. The waitress was majorly cute as well which was a bonus and the music/atmosphere was great. We WILL be back again!

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“All style and no substance”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

I visited the restaurant as a member of a hen party on Saturday 12th July. As we were a large group booking, we had already ordered our food two weeks before our visit from one of the set menus. We arrived at our table at 8pm and really enjoyed our starters. However from then on our experience went downhill rapidly. Our main courses did not arrive at our table until 9.45 and by this point we were starting to get hungry again. 7 of us had ordered the beef burger option and all 7 burgers were pink and raw when we cut into them.When we complained to the waitress, she informed us that we hadn't specified how well cooked we would like our burgers to be. We informed her that we would not expect them to be pink and sent the dishes back.We were given a portion of fries each to eat while we awaited our replacement burgers and these were so salty we were unable to eat them and had to ask for more bottles of water as they made us so thirsty. Replacment burgers did eventually arrive, but by this time most of us had been so put off our food that we hardly ate them. I work in the retail/hospitality industry myself and understand how difficult it can be to meet the high expectations of some customers, however I thought that this was disgraceful food from a central London restaurant in such a prestigious location. In summary, I would advise anyone wanting to dine here that they can get better burgers and fries at McDonalds.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Claire S
Good Morning Claire

Thank you for your review on Steam & Rye.

I welcome all of your comments, which have been fed back to our management team straight away.

I would love the opportunity to discuss this in more detail, to hopefully rectify your experience.

Please do contact me on the details below, I look forward to hearing from you Claire

London, United Kingdom
“Extremely disappointing and poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Having heard some great reviews I went to steam and rye to celebrate 4th July with a few friends and to test it out as a venue for a hen do. Unfortunately, it was possibly one of the worst places i have been to and not the classy venue I thought it would be.

We booked a table for four and we were sat in the main room (grand central station themed room) which was rammed by 8:30pm and the music was booming so made it very difficult to hear each other and catch up. We had to wait sometime to have our orders taken and given how loud it was in there I was concerned the waitress may not get our orders right. Unfortunately I was correct. Two of us had our food orders come out wrong ... twice!! So whilst the other two girls ate, two of us had to wait half an hour and receive our dinner wrong, again. On the third attempt our food was correct - and I have to say I have had much better burgers! The waitress did offer to take our food order off the bill, which was appreciated but by this point the night was ruined.

I wouldn't recommend going here for dinner and especially not on a Friday night. When taking bookings I think you should be informed if your table is going to be in the main room on the bar floor as it really isn't ideal and you will have absolutely no privacy - we had people dump their empty glasses on our table, grabbing our fries and throwing popcorn.

There were some positive's - the live band was really good, playing some great american classics so I think it would be a good place to go to with a group of mates - just make sure you eat beforehand, though there wasn't much room to dance which is a shame.

Such a shame we had such a disappointing experience as I really was looking forward to going here and booking it for a hen party - now I'm not so sure!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Emily R
Good Morning Emily

Thank you for your review on Steam & Rye. I always welcome any customer feedback whether positive or negative and take all comments seriously.

I would like to discuss your experience in more detail if possible to see if we can rectify the situation and restore your faith in Steam & Rye as a venue and brand.

I look forward to hearing from you

“Fun times”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

Went here last night for a hen party and was perfect for a group. The front of house staff were excellent, warm welcome and oh my god the cocktails are phenomenal!! The only thing that let it down was the sharing platters which were disappointing especially given the £30 price tag and one of the guys behind the bar was pretty rude which was a real shame.

Glad Tidings Sarah!

Thank you for your review on our venue this week. We welcome all customer comments and feedback.

Whilst I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed lots of elements of your experience with us, I would like to opportunity to discuss further the additional points you have made to see if we can rectify these.

Please do contact me directly to explore this in more detail...