Sanctuary Spa Covent Garden - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Pleasant experience but poor quality dining

Reviewed April 30, 2014
Sharfly
London, United Kingdom
via mobile
Memorable experience please don't close

Reviewed May 31, 2014
onetinywish
UK

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Have always wanted to go to the sanctuary and was lucky enough (or so i thought)to be given vouchers for my birthday. I took a friend along and we both had the same disappointing experience. First they left me waiting and in fact forgot about me and i almost seemed like an inconvenience to them. They didn't offer a place to change or hang my clothing so ended up traipsing through spa area and swimming pool fully clothed with things over my shoes. My treatment was in a wet room and had to change in here avoiding clothes and handbag getting wet. The room was cold so i was freezing. This was meant to be a pampering experience but it was far from it. Now they're closing they obviously can't be bothered anymore. Wrote to them twice to complain but no response to at least apologise. Maybe a spa day would have been a better way to spend the vouchers. Overall, very disappointing for the money!

14  Thank Lev900
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I can't believe that when I finally decided to make the journey to the Sanctuary Spa I also found out it was closing! My biggest regret is not taking my mother and mother in law who both would have loved the spa experience. My three friends and I thoroughly enjoyed our Champagne day. It wasn't busy at all and it was fun moving from one room to another. We'll never forget the swing or the koi carp fish or the hot tub bubbles with us giggling like teenagers! The food was nice although the cafe in the koi carp lounge was expensive. My treatment was lovely and the only downside to my day was going home by tube! The other thing is I developed an eye infection the next day probably due to bacteria - so maybe this is why it's closing? It is in need of updating and they really should do it as I would go every year! Save the spa please it's a true haven for women!

4  Thank onetinywish
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Gutted to read that the Spa is closing as I have always combined a trip with a spot of retail therapy. I have visited the spa both on my own and with friends and always benefitted from good food and a good relax. I have been known to fall asleep in the sleep zone and have enjoyed Champagne whilst lounging on a comfy bed ready a book. Where else could you do this so near to the buzz of Central London.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

y friend and I had a lovely day at the Sanctuary last Sunday (May 2014). Such a shame it is closing - I would definitely have returned. The staff were lovely, nothing was too much trouble. The lunch choices were good and the quality of the food was superb.

It could have done with having slightly less people there but it was a Sunday and it was only open for 1 more week. Loved relaxing in the Koi Lounge.

3  Thank Darceyb
SanctuarySpa, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Spa Covent Garden, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback with us. It is heartening to read that you and your friend had such a relaxing time at the spa. We do hope that we can rely on your continuing support as we start our new journey.

Kind regards
The Sanctuary Team

Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Waste of money! £600 for 3 people to sit freezing in a corridor with ice cold staff and crap food No! Therapy s were substandard but felt sorry for them as its not their fault!! Poor management! Broken locks on toilet doors so you have to scream out when someone pushes door open! Horrid spa plastic bags and gown made me feel like a refugee ! Horrendous hike up four stories u and down and up and down and I only tripped up once ! How did this place stay open for so long??? The canteen was freezing and we got our food 90 mins or so after ordering a burger!! Sat in my stomach whilst having painful torture massage ! Hell couldn't wait to leave!! Sorry Helen and Jeanette for bringing you there could have gone to Spain for price !

8  Thank 846edithc

Thank you for your feedback. Can I ask you to contact us directly with a further understanding of your query so we can attempt to resolve this for you. Please email info.uk@sanctuary.com. Kind regards, The Sanctuary Team

Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

I have never been to the Sanctuary before and was pleasantly surprised. I have always tried to find a place like this in London and am devastated to hear that the sanctuary is closing for good. I can't agree with the previous review as all staff was very friendly and helpful. And I still smell absolutely lush! Thank u so much for such an amazing experience!!

SanctuarySpa, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Spa Covent Garden, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback and for taking the time to tell us how great your day was. We are pleased you enjoyed it and will be left with fond memories of our beautiful spa and the Sanctuary team. Kindest regards.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Having not been to the Sanctuary before my friend and I were looking forward to the day. The staff were polite, friendly and helpful. The koi area quite busy but we found somewhere to sit for coffee. The swing pool area was clean but tired looking, although never overcrowded. Altogether a pleasant experience, it's a shame that the same can not be said for the restaurant food. Overpowering anchovies in the Cesar salad and a very wet risotto with the added extra of a chipping of crockery! The staff were apologetic but not really the enjoyable experience I was looking forward to.

2  Thank Sharfly
SanctuarySpa, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Spa Covent Garden, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We will ensure that this is passed onto our restaurant team so it can be used to improve the service. Kind regards, The Sanctuary team

Reviewed April 24, 2014

I have had the pleasure of five lovely visits to the Sanctuary and am so sad to learn that this iconic ladies' spa will be closing at the end of May. My most recent visit was a day spa as a special birthday treat with my daughter. There was nothing that gave away any clue of its imminent demise. Our treatments were lovely and we felt wonderfully relaxed and pampered as we sipped champagne in the Koi Lounge. During our day, nothing was too much trouble for the team and it has left us with very special memories. There is really nowhere else like it and Covent Garden will be the poorer when it has gone. We'd like to thank all the lovely Sanctuary staff and wish them success in the future. Thank you.

2  Thank Angela C

Thank you so much for your kind words and wonderful feedback for our dedicated team. We too are very sad to see such an iconic spa close its doors and assure you that the team will receive your feedback and thanks for the wonderful work they do and the passion they give to serving all our guests. The team will be thankful to you for recognising the great service they give and so pleased that you have fond memories to hold onto. Kindest regards from us all at The Sanctuary

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I have been to the Sanctuary a couple of times, and after reading that it would be closing down after 37 years, decided to take my Daughter, who has never been there. We booked a day spa with a couple of treatments each. I expected it to be busy as I'm sure lots of people wanted to go before it closes its doors, and it was. Even though it was busy our treatments were on time, and the staff friendly and helpful. The lounge does get busy and you can't always find a seat together, but with everyone coming and going for treatments you don't wait long before seats become available, and there's plenty of things to do in the meantime: swim in one of the two pools, sit in the jacuzzi or steam room.

The facilities were clean and the changing area is open, so if you like privacy you might not like this.

Overall there was no feeling that the spa was closing down, the standards were as I experienced before. Yes, it's expensive, but it's not something you do all the time, and yes lots of hotels are offering spa days, but it's not the same. The Sanctuary in Covent Garden is a special place, and will be missed by many.

Ignore the negative reviews, spend a day there if you can, you won't be sorry.

4  Thank Christine N

Thank you for taking the time to feedback to us and for your custom. We too are very sad to see our iconic spa closing its doors but want to leave everyone with fond memories of their experiences here spanning over the last 37 years. We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us. Kind regards, The Sanctuary team

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I had heard that the Sanctuary is due to close at the end of May so after having had several enjoyable visits I decided to visit for the last time with a friend who had never been. Unfortunately the reception was full to bursting of clients waiting to be checked in , an experience I never had before. This meant that it was very difficult to find a place for us to sit together in the Koi carp lounge, my favourite place in the complex. I was very disappointed to find that the staff seem to have lost their enthusiasm and customer care perhaps with the prospect of the closure. We seemed to be treated more like cattle without smiles or efficient service, particularly when I had to remind the waitress that I had ordered tea 15 minutes earlier despite the fact no other order was waiting. Our 'tour' was very perfunctory and it would not have taken a few minutes to point out where my massage was taking place. This would have prevented me waiting in the incorrect place, despite a therapist asking to look at my schedule . There were 3 staff members we came into contact with who displayed the service I experienced before. However I will not miss the Sanctuary based on this visit.

3  Thank dizzyblonde8

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback to us. We are sincerely apologetic for your poor experience and wanted to take this opportunity to assure you that the team that are remaining here are dedicated to giving all our guests the best possible service at our iconic spa. We fully understand that the last visit should hold fond memories. I can only say that we regret this was not the case for you. If you wish to discuss your experience further please contact us directly on info.products@sanctuary.co.uk. Kind regards, The Sanctuary team