“Very nice if expensive day”
Review of Sanctuary Spa Covent Garden - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sanctuary Spa Covent Garden
More attraction details
Owner description: Sanctuary Spa treats up to 60,000 women every year at our iconic home in the heart of London’s Covent Garden.A beautiful building filled with hidden treasures, the spa is a true Sanctuary away from the bustle of the City.The spa first opened its doors in 1977 and was created by a US Choreographer as a gift of love to his ballerina wife and it soon became a magical retreat for the dancers of the Royal Ballet to come and relax after training.For the last 35 years we have continued helping women to relax and rejuvenate whilst enjoying precious time together with friends and family. Sanctuary Spa is a fun place for enjoyment, whether you’re indulging in a glass of bubbly while lounging by the serene Koi Carp pools, applying a Moroccan mud mask or feeling aches and pains dissolve under the skilled fingers of our therapists.
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I won this day for two on a TV quiz show - I don't think I would have paid the £320 fee (total) otherwise. I am not experienced in spas, but my friend and I had a lovely day.

The staff seem to be young and inexperienced, but were friendly. We first had the mud experience in the hamam, where you put mud over your body and sit in 100% humidity for a bit - quite nice when you get used to it - with a shower in it to wash it off afterwards with.

Then we used the basement exercise swimming pool - very nice, large, not crowded (more later) and not too chloriney at all - very enjoyable.

Then we went to the Koi Lounge to get lunch - aha - that's why the pool was so empty - people had grabbed all the chairs, huh! We did find chairs, again the service was very slow & inexperienced - to be honest the girls all seemed to be from Eastern Europe or from Essex, so not giving much confidence - but the food was nice if horridly expensive.

Then we had the oils massage - ouch! I found this painful, but it is a good excuse to insist that my husband massages me more often, to keep my muscles from getting stiff!

Then we had the sleep meditation - 6 women in a dark room on beds with headphones and a nice relaxing recording to listen to. Was quite nice (I think I did sleep through much of it). We didn't buy any products, I felt that if they were as overpriced as the lunch (£40 for 1 salad, 1 bagel, 1 icecream to share, and 2 drinks) they wouldn't be worthwhile.

My only complaint was that the changing room and shower area is too small and crowded, with almost nowhere to sit down when you change, and nowhere to put your things when you are in the shower. I wish they would expand this with more seats and tables.

The day passed very quickly, and was very relaxing, Unfortunately our tube home was suspended, so we had to take 3 crowded lines for 1.5 hours, which un-relaxed us again, but I did enjoy it. If you have the money - or even better can win this - it is a very nice day - do go with a friend - I think you would feel left out by yourself.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I would not recommend this spa. I walked out more stressed than when I arrived. My therapist was late and I asked for a firm massage but she basically stroked me for 25 minutes. I had to ask her to increase the pressure a few times which did not happen. I left the spa early as I was so frustrated with the massage.
I have tried to get in touch with the spa manager a few times with no luck and reported the incident on the day of the massage. It seems as if there is no customer service.
What was meant to be a relaxing spa day with a massage turned out to be a complete waste of time and I was so disappointed.

4  Thank Kathhauge
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The day that I spent at The Sanctuary in Floral street was nice - but not special for the cost. The inside of this Spa is looking a bit tired and in need of some serious loveliness. Whilst the furnishings themselves are nice and comfy the actual decor is quite bland and the ambiance of the lounge areas is 'functional' but not really restful and relaxing. There is no background music to make the ambiance feel like tranquility. You get to hear conversations of groups of ladies that have come together because there is no other sounds to detract from their noises! The actual treatments were great and therapists very nice too. The check out for me was rude and unthankful for my custom. I had upon booking my day chosen my package and treatments and given all of my voucher numbers to enable the reservation to be confirmed. However, upon checkout the assistant would not agree that the price that I had been told my day would be was correct and was very disbelieving. I was left standing at the checkout desk for a long time while she attempted to sort out the query. Another assistant tried to help and also disbelieved what I had been told when I made my phone reservation. So there was no apparent note of the cost of my day on the computer after all the long booking procedure had been finalised. What was the point? However to be left standing at the end of what had been a nice day made me feel uncared for and not welcome. I think the checkout staff need to understand the value of the customer. Also the item that I had selected to buy from the shop and had paid for was not given to me at the till upon exit as I have now realised. So I am without product too. My day cost just over £260 - I think I need to try out other Spas where this money would probably even buy an overnight too and get a firendlier service.

3  Thank Tina D
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I booked the hen package here for me and 6 friends (£120 a head). I'd read lots of mixed reviews and so was a bit worried about the quality of the package but it had the best price/location combination for our needs.

I have to say overall I was very impressed, I'd read a lot about the spa being very busy on weekends and so we arrived early to beat the rush (although I have to be honest, even when the spa was full I didn't think it felt crowded). As soon as we arrived we had an introduction and a few forms to fill in and then got straight into swimsuits and fresh bath robes.

The hen package includes 1 25 minutes treatment and a complimentary infra red or sleep treatment as well as afternoon tea and a glass of pink prosecco.

I had the hot lava shell massage which was really relaxing and enjoyable, the infra red treatment was really just a sauna type experience but with magazines, fun nonetheless. We spent from 9:45 am till 4:30 pm in the spa and there's really so many facilities there was always something to do. Particular favorites were the jacuzzi, steam room and upstairs pool - we also made full use of the complimentary powder room where you can try sanctuary products and give yourself facials.

The Koi Karp room is probably the best - here you can order snacks and smoothies and take a nap on their enormous sofas and beds or read magazines and chat.

The afternoon tea was filling and very nice and finished off a very enjoyable day, so despite a lot of people saying this was noisy and crowded, I really have to disagree - maybe we were lucky but i had a fully enjoyable time - the only downside was no discounts on the products!