“This place really is a sanctuary!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Got a photo?
Add it.
Sanctuary Spa Covent Garden
More attraction details
Owner description: Sanctuary Spa treats up to 60,000 women every year at our iconic home in the heart of London’s Covent Garden.A beautiful building filled with hidden treasures, the spa is a true Sanctuary away from the bustle of the City.The spa first opened its doors in 1977 and was created by a US Choreographer as a gift of love to his ballerina wife and it soon became a magical retreat for the dancers of the Royal Ballet to come and relax after training.For the last 35 years we have continued helping women to relax and rejuvenate whilst enjoying precious time together with friends and family. Sanctuary Spa is a fun place for enjoyment, whether you’re indulging in a glass of bubbly while lounging by the serene Koi Carp pools, applying a Moroccan mud mask or feeling aches and pains dissolve under the skilled fingers of our therapists.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“This place really is a sanctuary!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have been here many times over the past few years, taking family and friends who have all enjoyed it as much as I have. The treatments and food have always been excellent. I love the smoothies that they do in the koi carp lounge!

I have always been fortunate enough to go when there haven't been any rowdy crowds there, that would no doubt spoilt the otherwise calm and relaxing atmosphere, hence why my experiences have always been good.

1 Thank iloveblackguys

Windsor, England, United Kingdom
“Suprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

After coming to Covent Garden Sanctury for many years (I came approx 3years ago ) I vowed never to come again as the whole atmoshere had changed. BUT my friend asked if I would accompany her for a days spa and I agreed as she had had some vouchers. I can honestly say I was suprised and pleased at the change , the staff were particulary attentive and polite, and must say that the shoulder neck and back massage was the BEST I have had anywhere. We had a light lunch and a couple of glasses of wine which we both thought were tastly and good value for money in this type of enviroment. We will definately book to go again.

Visited April 2013
Reading
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Visited with my two daughters - birthday present from one of them. Been on my list of things to do for years. What a disappointment! Absolutely the worst part was the 'sleep retreat' - really? The noise from the food preparation area in particular and Koi Karp Lounge in general meant that I spent a very frustrating half an hour being told to relax, let myself drift away etc when in fact I was able to do anything but. When I pointed this out at the end of the session I was simply asked if I'd like to repeat the session... When we descended the steps back into the lounge there was a woman sitting waiting for the next session talking loudly on her mobile, in full view of several members of staff, when it is apparently spa policy that phones are not allowed (there was also another woman photographing people on the swing). Massage was very good, lunch (superfood salad) also good but afternoon tea very mediocre (really nasty burnt bakewell slices) and frustratingly no one came to clear away plates etc when we'd finished which is an issue when your 'table' is also your bed...had to move it all ourselves in the end. There was also a problemwhich didn't affect us but is also, I feel, an indication of the general level of inefficiency - the clock in the restaurant hadn't been altered which meant that there were people missing per-booked sessions. I have visited my local spa, Nirvana, on several occasions, and deem it far better value for money and a much more relaxing experience than the Sanctuary. I feel bad that this was meant to be a special treat from my lovely daughter. I shan't be returning.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank LizW19
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Disappointing to say the least”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Firstly, I have never written a review on Trip Adviser before but felt moved to do so after a dismal visit to the Sanctuary 2 days ago. Secondly, I have been going to the Sanctuary at least twice a year for a number of years now but will looking for an alternative day spa to visit in the future.

So, the Sanctuary.............full of noisy chatter (verging on screeching from some groups) everywhere....even the steam room. I could also hear chatter and creaking floorboards, thumping footsetps etc when having treatments. Ahhh the treatments: the Rose Renewing Ritual was lovely so no complaints there but the Muscle Melt massage, that's a different story: no disposable underwear (luckily I'm not prudish) and left to lie there for 10 minutes before the therapist reappeared. Now I've had this massage many times before so I know what to compare it to, you should be given a choice of two oils, told to sniff and pick which one you prefer however, on this occasion there was no choice. The massage itself wasn't great - I've had better ones for £20 locally to be frank.

Then the lounge/restaurant service: I sat down for my lunch at 1.10pm and finally was served my main dish at 2.20pm. In total I was sitting in the restaurant for 90 minutes when all I wanted to do was relax. The service in the lounge was even worse, I attempted to order tea and scones at 5pm, was brought the tea (which is one tea bag) at 5.20 and the scones at 5.45 by which the time the tea was finished.

Finally, the showers - grimy and full of broken shampoo bottles. The only upside is that i didn't spot any cockroaches as mentioned by other reviewers.

Considering I spent the best part of £300 on this visit, I am distinctly unimpressed. I doubt if I'll be back and I have already recommended to a friend who was planning a visit to go elsewhere.

3 Thank Marena M
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Don't bother, there are more peaceful spas out there”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I visited Sanctuary on a Sunday for a Champagne day. I went with an open mind after having read some of the reviews, but I have to say I was really disappointed. The level of noise in the spa was totally unacceptable, in the koi karp lounge, lavender lounge and sauna and steam rooms. The whole place completely lacks a sense of peace. My sleep retreat experience was ruined by the noise coming from the koi karp lounge. In the sauna and steam room there was also a lot of chattering. My massage was nice and the therapist was too, but afterwards, it would have been lovely to have been able to go and sit somewhere quiet and peaceful to relax, instead of having to listen to large groups of loud people talking incessantly. Other spas have areas where strict silence is a requirement and I seriously think the manager of this spa should look at introducing at least one silent area to this spa which can be enjoyed by people not in large groups. Some of the staff were really nice though, on teh plus side. Overall, there are far better spas to go and spend this sort of money in, I won't be returning.

1 Thank Manisha U