“York Hall”

York Hall Leisure Centre
Ranked #84 of 586 Spas & Wellness in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: York Hall Day Spa is an affordable luxury day spa in Bethnal Green and the finest spa of its kind in London’s East End. Our award winning Bethnal Green spa is located within York Hall Leisure Centre and offers you the perfect environment in which to restore both mind and body, and lift your spirits with every visit. The historic York Hall was originally built in 1929 and fully refurbished and restored in 2005 to create a unique experience for anyone seeking a memorable and uplifting spa day in London.
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have been to the leisure centre few times year and have found the facility and staff very good. The pool and changing rooms seemed clean and tidy and staff were helpful.

I like the fact that its a historical building and situated close to me. The gym is very well programmed and has decent equipments and membership can be used across all the GLL centres in the borough.

3  Thank MGutale
There are newer reviews for York Hall Leisure Centre

Reviewed February 2, 2013

When I went to the Turkish Baths there a few years ago it was filthy and unhygienic - I asked for my money back and walked out. After a multi-million pound makeover it is still - filthy and unhygienic. Indeed the smell is rank especially in the steam room and showers. It used to have a vibrant atmosphere of multi-cultural clientele - it is in the East End after all. Now few of the regulars go there and the clientele is mainly white females who can't afford the higher prices of more upmarket spas. The problem is that it is owned by the infamous Tower Hamlets Council who have contracted it out to a private organisation 'Greenwich Leisure Ltd [GLL]' trade marked 'Better.' They have in turn imposed draconian rules that have completely spoiled the ambiance of the place. When I was there in November 2012 The floors were scummy with dirt from people's shoes (it was raining outside). The price was £20+ as a visitor. There was no more free of charge traditional Yiddish schmeis. The draconian 'etiquette' rules on the website state: "Treatments will only be provided by GLL trained therapists, or qualified third parties who are in possession of an appropriate license and insurance." And they are so expensive that they have priced the previous multi-cultural clientele well out of using the place. And female staff wandered into the men's changing area; (I understand that male staff also wander into the female changing area). If you value your health avoid this place. Not a patch on more professional Turkish Baths and spas on the Continent.

9  Thank Chris2006
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I go the the swimming pool and I do it only because I have back problems.
I never came across a swimming pool that unclean.

The showers smell wee and are never cleaned during the day
so you have all sorts of hair on floor, walls and other wastes.

The floor is also quite disguising because other people do walk with shoes
where you walk without shoes.
The showers are not properly working neither (very hot water and then cold).
The good point is that most of the time it is not that busy in the pool.
I prefer to not think at the quality of the water.

Going there is taking the pleasure to swim.

The management is terrible.
Lots of employees, none of them to keep the changing room clean neither.
The council should do something.

8  Thank mary1000000000
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have been to spa London a few times with friends and really enjoyed it. It's a great venue and really good value. Looking forward to the Wimbledon one opening next year!

2  Thank CWlondonLondon
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My daughter lives nearby, so we thought we would give this a try. The spa itself was clean and we enjoyed the hot rooms. There is a plunge pool, bucket shower and ice available to cool you down.
I am glad that I had not read the other reviews before I went, because our experience was very different. Sunday is a mixed day and it was mainly young couples - from a range of different nationalities. I think I was probably 20 about years older than the rest of the clientelle!
To be quite honest, I have never seen so many men in a spa - I think they had booked to get themselves back on their feet after a stag do - they were leaving as we arrived!
We booked the Escape London Experience and the treatments were excellent. We had an hour to warm up in the spa then a salt scrub, sea algae facial and a swedish massage. Both therapists were well trained, friendly and knowledgable. The spa is due to change to Elemis in the near future, but the algae facial was one of the best I have ever had. The therapist told me that they have a number of regulars who come just for that.
The therapist who did the swedish massage only works at weekends - she works at a hospital during the week. She was excellent and knew a lot about sports massage too.
Yes, there are a few things that could be put right - a broken hairdryer, a toilet door with a dodgy lock, and putting furniture that is not water resistant in the rest room - people sit down wearing swim suits leaving a wet patch for the next person - not pleasant!
However, the hot rooms are great and we found that the treatments were too.
I think they have men only days twice a week, women only days and mixed at the weekend - but check to make sure.

1  Thank Alice56Hampshire