“Beside West Brompton Railway Station”
Review of Brompton Cemetery

Brompton Cemetery
Ranked #261 of 1,695 things to do in London
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Well worth a visit. Next-door to the local railway station, West Brompton on the District Line.

1  Thank Bobbie Y

Reviewed November 26, 2011

Some of the cemeteries charge for public access, but this one is free to wander through this one. It is a popular spot for many filmmakers (Sherlock Holmes 2009, Eastern promise...). It is one of London’s oldest cemeteries. The headstones date from approx. 1840 to 1920. Some of the headstones are truly works of art. So if you like taking photo, this place is especially beautiful in the fall, as the trees are rich in colour. There is a paved path that people can jog or walk through.

2  Thank DTrad
Reviewed August 2, 2011

When I told my spouse and son "we're going to a cemetery today", their eyes grew wide, followed by the inevitable "Why???" I replied, "Sherloch Holmes and Johnny English filmed there," Took about 30 seconds before my 18-year-old son grudgingly said "okay". We have an understanding: he's the navigator, my spouse pays, while I mark the spot:) Once my son got us there via the metro, we had a memorable time exploring! Normal people may consider this macabre. Does one really need to be an eccentric person to appreciate the serenity of a cemetery?

2  Thank mzzyap8
Reviewed March 1, 2011

On a recent trip to London, the concierge at the hotel suggested a walk through the Brompton Cemetery in the Earl's Court, Chelsea neighborhood. As odd as I thought that was I decided to give it a whirl. What a treat. This Victorian era cemetery is this areas version of a park. There are joggers, dog walkers and lots of strollers, toddlers and walkers. The tombstones date way back to the 1800's and are half fallen over with the writing on a lot of them totally worn off. It is both fascinating and creepy. They recently filmed the Sherlock Holmes movie there and it is obvious why. It is like stepping back in time. Was a wonderfully, different experience.

4  Thank billiejoe
Reviewed July 17, 2006

interesting to see the special memorial monuments, but also many tombs hidden in high, uncut grass.

2  Thank Lynn v