“A Must See for Any Tennis Fan or Sports Fan”

Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$34.18*
and up
Wimbledon All England Tennis Club and Lawn Tennis...
Ranked #71 of 1,827 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I were in London last week {23-29 September 2012}. We visited Wimbledon on Friday September 28, 2012, it was a great visit despite the off/on rainy, damp weather. The tour guide that we were lucky enough to have showed us a wonderful time and was very informative about all things Wimbledon-history, tennis matches, grounds, the private club and most importantly how to snag tickets to the premiere tennis event of the circuit. It is my hope that either my boyfriend or I are lucky enough to get tickets to the tennis matches for 2013. The museum along with the guided tour are well worth the cost....we purchased the London Pass prior to the trip and it was well worth it.

1  Thank Nean228
Write a ReviewReviews (1,057)
All reviews
in 25 reviews
"gift shop"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Myself, my husband, my grandmother, and our two daughters were in London in April 2012 and since my grandmother and I are very big tennis fans we decided to use our LondonPass to do the entire Wimbledon experience and we are so glad we did. Not being lucky enough to have ever been to the championships it was a real treat! Our daughters (ages 4, 2) did not do so well on the tour so my husband had to stop about half way through but this may have been because of the rain and the fact that they couldn't run around. The museum and restaurant were also great and we will be going back again, I'm sure.

1  Thank ABH2wife
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Went to the Ladies Final for the first time, excellent experience, did not go into museum as we were seeing history being made. Great transport links and very well organised. Not a cheap day out but a once in a lifetime occassion. Only place I have been to with Pimms on tap and individual bottles of champagne ..excellent.

1  Thank melmoff
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Being a huge tennis fan and having been lucky enough to have visited the championships a few times, my partner thought she would treat me to the "Wimbledon Experience Package".

No let me be very clear the museum is wonderful, you wont need any more 30/40 mins inside, tickets are around £20 so for a tennis fan worth the price.

Word of warning though, the tour here is rushed and is not worth the hundred something pounds they charge, if you have been to the games like me avoid this!

Overall stick to the museum and you wont go wrong, otherwise apply to the ballot my friends nothing beats it!

1  Thank ak_traveling
See more reviews
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I are huge tennis fans and have always wanted to visit Wimbledon. However, living in the north of England means we can't just pop down whenever we feel like it to watch a game or pay a visit to the museum. We therefore decided that as we were visiting London for our honeymoon we would book ourselves on a ground tour and take a look at the museum afterwards.

The tour lasts an hour and a half and takes you round the courts (centre court and court number 1 were a particular highlight), the order of play and championship draw boards, the press box where players are interviewed after their matches, and where you can have your picture taken. You also get to look at Murray Mound / Henman Hill / Aorangi picnic terrace (or whatever your preference to call it is) and plaques of various interest and a statue of Fred Perry (the last British man to win Wimbledon).

Our tour guide was friendly and pleasant enough but instead of telling us about the history of the place, the historic matches and rivalries that have taken place throughout the years he seemed to treat the whole tour as a marketing exercise. Whether it be for the shop, the museum, the website or where and how to get tickets. Oh and boy he did love talking about how we could buy stuff! Hardly a sentence went by without him trying to plug something. Our entire trip round court 1 was about how to get our names in the ticket ballot and how to become a member and how much it would cost to do so! (No, sorry, I don't have a spare 20 to 30k lying around for exclusive tennis tickets). All that should be kept for the end of the tour. I wanted to hear about the matches, the history or even how they maintain the grass (thankfully this was filled in somewhat in the museum).

He spent so long talking about where to line up and get tickets (in September! the next championships don't start until next June!) that we didn't get to spend as much time looking at other things. We missed out on the locker rooms (I've heard other groups got to see them), didn't spend much time looking at the List of Champions boards (I just about managed to get some photographs of the mains ones before we were ushered along) and rushed around a few of the outside areas.

My husband and I eventually began to tune him out so we still had a good time looking round a site that isn't normally accessible to us (because of where we live).

The museum was excellent and there's so much to see. Particular highlights included the Olympic exhibition (you can see Federer's doubles gold and Nadal's singles gold from Beijing 2008 and Aurthur Gore and Major Richie's medals from the 1908 Olympics as well as many others) and kit from players such as Pat Cash, Bjorn Borg, Maria Sharapova, the Williams sisters, Andy Murray, Henman, McEnroe and Conners, Boris Becker, Billie Jean King, Lendl, Agassi and Rod Laver. The list is endless!

There's also a chance to see all the trophies (thankfully photography of them is permitted) and there's displays featuring tennis scoring, balls and how they're put together, collectable tennis memorabilia (household items like lighters, tea cups and tea strainers and letter racks and bowls etc) and a fascinating history of the game and how it evolved into the sport we see today. You can even watch a ghost of John McEnroe talking about the game.

I thought the museum was brilliant. Really well thought out and accessible and I enjoyed it immensely.

We visited the cafe for lunch afterwards and although the food was lovely (the panini should be called a toasted baguette though) and the majority of the staff helpful and pleasant there was one female staff member who had one of the worst attitudes I have ever had the displeasure to come across. Surly, rude and aggressive doesn't even begin to describe the behaviour we witnessed of this 'charming' young lady who was serving the gentleman in front of us in the queue. Slamming lids shut if a customer dares to want extra vegetables and chips with their baked potatoe and shouting at them because they can't understand why they can't order different food combinations is not on (if they're willing to pay for it then why should it matter what combination of foods they order anyway?). Oh and neither is ignorantly speaking loudly and slowly to a foreign customer because he can't understand you. I thought that kind of throwback and patronising behaviour had gone out of fashion along with Alf Garnett and Jim Davidson and sitcoms such as Love Thy Neighbour. Boy was I wrong! If she had dared to try and speak to me or my husband in that manner then I would've given her what for and put in an official complaint to her boss (and I still might anyway).

Overall a good day out and despite the few hick ups we had a great time. Would love to visit again during the championships though and see a game or two.

1  Thank LittleLaroo