“Oldest Stables in England”

Wimbledon Village Stables
Ranked #72 of 199 Outdoor Activities in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Wimbledon Village Stables is a British Horse Society and ABRS Approved Centre that offers superb horse riding in London. We are ideally located with more than 3,000 acres of beautiful countryside right on our doorstep. As you ride across the tracks Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park you will not believe you are so close to the City! If you want to improve your riding skills then we have a team of professional and qualified riding instructors and 25 happy and well trained horses and ponies. Wimbledon Village Stables is easily assessible by bus, train and underground.
London
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Oldest Stables in England”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Nothing could make Wimbledon Village appear more special than dozens of horses trotting through the streets, watched by the coffee drinkers and shoppers of this quintessential English village. One of the oldest stables in England with some of the friendliest people working there. You are always welcome.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Sky051

wimbledon
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Fantastic haven for horse lovers”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

The kind and considerate staff sorted out a great ride for my daughters at relatively short notice. Riding at Wimbledon is very special. It's hard to believe you are riding in London! The rides across the Common to Richmond Park are beautiful and there are horse rings if you want to practice your technique. The horses are well cared for and happy. My kids favourite horses were Louis and Cookie though Benji and Crumpet the stable dogs also get a mention!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank womble5
Sydney, Australia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Great stables”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Excellent riding on Wimbledon Common and in Richmond Park. And who wouldn't enjoy the opportunity to ride on the road through Wimbledon Village as the traffic waits for you? Great guide and horses. I am quite an experienced rider, but still learned plenty - from both horse (Patrick) and guide. Shame for me that London is so far from Sydney!

Visited April 2012
4 Thank 255060Andy
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Don't Miss Your Chance Two Ride Here”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Honestly, I'd not heard of Wimbledon Village Stables before my current trip to England. And thank God for the internet to make me aware of them! Their care showed right from the beginning, as they exhibited admirable patience as I emailed back and forth, trying to pick a day to ride when it was unlikely to rain. They even have a self-assessment exercise on their website, to make sure that they and you are in sync with your true level of riding ability. At last, with date set, I took the 40-minute Underground to Wimbledon. After a short walk to the stables, I met both the owner (Carol) and my guide (Kate, an ex pat from S. Africa). They couldn't have been nicer, matching me up with a horse (Patrick) appropriate for my riding level, and getting me a helmet (always a good thing). Off we went on a one-hour ride in the park with just one other rider (the charming Angela, from Ireland, in case you're wondering). The park was beautiful (even had a windmill) and so was the ride. We walked, we trotted, we cantered, and then walked and trotted and cantered some more (plus a few more rounds, but you get the point). There were times when my horse got a little lively, and Kate was quick to provide helpful tips for keeping him under control (and without getting frustrated with either the horse or me). And unlike riding in Central London, which I've also done, the Wimbledon park gives you a very "open" experience, with long stretches of trots and canters that aren't possible in the confines of the city. So combine idyllic park environs, a super guide and a wonderfully maintained horse, and you're in for the riding experience you've been looking for. My only regret? That I hadn't scheduled enough time to make it a two-hour hack instead of a one

Visited August 2011
7 Thank TravelForever2000
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“What a great day!!”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

As a complete novice (only ever been on a horse once) I went for an hours lesson at the Wimbledon Village Stables and had a wonderful time! I was made to feel very welcome and had a lot of fun out on my ride through the common (which is beautiful) on a lovely horse called Patrick. When I returned from the lesson the staff asked how I did and I was made to feel like the best rider in the world for managing four canters!!

I don't live to far away from the stables and will definitely be going again!

Visited June 2011