“Great Hotel, Below Standard Service”

Park Plaza London Riverbank
Ranked #392 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 2, 2007

This is great looking hotel, and wonderful rooms and facilities inside, the executive upgrade is well worth it with the drinks and canapes in the lounge in the evening and a more relaxed breakfast experience. Location wise the hotel is good especially if you are happy roaming along the southbank and not adverse to a little bit of a walk rather than immediate access to underground network - although its still only 5 mins away.
The downside - the service was slow and not particularly welcoming. Many mistakes were made with our room, our bill, mistaking our deal etc. Restaurant staff in club lounge were really friendly and up beat though.
All in all we would recommend this hotel for a long weekend just be prepared for the slightly below average service!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank haggisgardner

Reviewed April 1, 2007

Having stayed regularly at the City Inn in London I decided to move and give the Park Plaza a go. And was I glad!! Just like the City Inn the location is excellent and easily accessible.

Upon arrival I was greeted by concierge who helped by from the taxi. The entrance hall is very impressive and contemporary. The reception staff were very helpful and I was quickly booked into my room. The lift leading to the room was amazing with star style lighting. Everything was really futuristic, something you would expect to see in a hotel in Tokyo.

The room was fantastic, very clean with a huge bed, flat screen and a media centre. This was much more than expected. The bathroom was even better with a large bath, separate glass shower cubical, halogen spotlights and beautiful black floor tiles.

My only minor complaint was surrounding the minibar. Basically it wouldn’t open and when I rang reception I was told it would be sorted in two minutes. Twenty minutes later I rang back and was told it couldn’t be opened because I didn’t log my credit card number. I find this quite odd as I had a room allowance but was told that its part of the system! What was really strange was the fact that I could order drinks via room service without any questions.

Breakfast was a buffet style service and provided plenty of choice which was very welcome. The service was excellent and I was given a table in no time.

Overall this is a fantastic hotel in an excellent part of town. Really conferrable with good service most of the time. I would definably recommend this and I believe it’s a better bet than the nearby City Inn.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank graemeboro
Reviewed March 29, 2007

A nice hotel but not exactly close to the train station as they said! A good half hour walk from Waterloo if I am honest. Room was nice, staff ok but bar was expensive (yes I know it is London) and the coffee's we ordered were luke warm. We paid £99 for our one night stay on lastminute.com but I would recommend you contacted the hotel directly as they seem to be ably to do a better deal direct. Breakfast is £17.00 per head which is pricey (again I know it is in London). Overall the stay was nice but I would sooner stay a little closer to the tube I think as with the weather not being great it did take a while to walk to Vauxhall (by far the nearest station).
P.s. Would appear if you wear a suit in the bar you seem to get noticed a lot quicker - considering the price the service there was not quick for those dressed more casually.

3  Thank phillipsathome
Reviewed March 27, 2007

Rubbish!

Trains every 30 seconds or so RIGHT in front of our window, staff were unfriendly and arrogant when we complained.

We booked the executive package which gave us access to the exec lounge and "drinks & snacks throughout the day". At one stage there were a few biscuits in a box and that was all, staff told us"" Oh no,
it only opens between 6-8"

Disorganised, unhelpful, misadvertised, rubbish. All the effort has gone into the decor, no-one gave a damn about service.

Do yourself a favour & find another place to stay!!

1  Thank DrMExeter
Reviewed March 25, 2007

The hotel is ideally situated just across the River Thames opposite Big Ben and Houses of Parliament. A stylish, chic hotel of a very high standard. Excellent breakfast, staff very helpful and professional, cannot do enough for you. When staying over in London again will definitely use this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank AndyCCambridge
Reviewed March 24, 2007

Hotel search for our 3 week London trip was dominated by the requirement for high-speed in-room internet access and under $200USD/night, within 10 mins to a tube. Various searches (laterooms, venere, londonview, hotelsrus, etc) lead me to the Riverbank Park Plaza. I contacted the hotel directly and received a great quote of 69 GBP/night for 2 adults. It was a special winter promo package rate for "Non Smoking superior room, internet access, full English breakfast voucher for "Buy one get one free" to use in bar, 50% discount on food only in restaurant."

Location: between Waterloo (15 min) & Vauxhall (5 min) tubes. It was pleasant walking the embankment towards London Eye, Westminister every day.

Check-in: Callous. The Riverbank web site advertised that "Each room is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities including high-speed Internet, fax & modem points, flat screen televisions, EU/US power sockets, direct dial telephone, a large work desk, mini-bar, tea & coffee making facilities, laptop safe plus movie & music channels on demand." Since they didn't charge extra for these other amenities i was quite surprised upon check-in that they would be charging us extra for the 24-hr internet access. ESPECIALLY since i had specifically emailed and verified with staff prior to arrival. When i showed them the email print out, the staff manager on duty simply shrugged and said the employee who had been corresponding with me was wrong, and there was nothing more to be done.

We were still focusing on the bright side: 69 GBP with breakfast included was still a great rate for a business hotel in London. The hotel was in a great location, and there was a cool, hip bar/resto (Chino Latino) in the lobby to use our voucher.

Room: 9th floor. Sleek, dark, modern furnishings, with jewel toned upholstery. The bed had nice firm pillows, crisp, cotton sheets, and fluffy comforter. Room was spotlessly cleaned every day, stable temperature with an adjustable thermostat. There were multiple plug-points (multi-region too) under the desk, which was really handy since we had 2 laptops and 2 cell phones to charge every night. What was a MAJOR disappointment and problem during our 7 day stay: the internet was down for 3 business days. It was an issue wit the ISP, which was not within the hotel's control. This time, the management was responsive and refunded the internet charge.

Bathroom: was fairly large, modern fittings (large square sink, black/white tiling and steel fittings) about six steps between the loo and tub directly across. There was a shower stall (roomy, with glass door, excellent pressure) as well as a tub.

The room did have a horrid view - situated on the side of the building, there was a tall office building with lots of windows, directly across from our room, with the train tracks towards the back. I'm not sure if we were just heavy sleepers during this trip or if the windows are double-reinforced, but the noise from the tracks did not bother our sleep.

Breakfast: each morning, we went down to the ground floor, past the business center, to the cafeteria where the complimentary breakfast was served. It is a large room, with a sitting area with couches as well as cafeteria style tables/chairs. Pleasant staff greeted us, verified our room number and seated us promptly. Coffee and tea were served at our table, and refilled appropriately. Spouse ordered egg-whites every day (off menu) and was accomodated without fuss. The rest of the breakfast was buffet style/self-serve.
There was one station with scrambled eggs (egg beaters), heinz beans, whole steamed mushrooms, bacon & sausage. There was a 2nd station with an assortment of breakfast pastries (croissants, fruit cake, muffins, danishes - all fresh from somewhere, everyday), fruit salad (water melon, apples, grapes, oranges, berries, melon), stewed prunes & figs, yogurt, muesli, white and dark bread, 3 types of cheeses and the usual assortment of orange & strawberry jams. There was a juice station: apple, orange & grapefruit. For a breakfast-inclusive rate, this was a good spread. My carnivore spouse got his fill of egg whites, bacon & sausage and topped it off with brekafast pastries and juice. I was perfectly happy with the fresh fruit salad, muesli, yogurt, mushrooms and beans and muffins/croissant.

Overall: we loved the location. Have great memories of our walks on the embankment. Chino Latino was cool to hang out at, and conveneint meeting place for quick get-together with business associates. Close proximity to Waterloo made it really convenient ot catch our Eurostar connection to Paris on the last day. Our room was fine for us, and aside form the cold reception at check-in and the ISP blip for th 3 days, we had no issues with our stay.

During this trip we also stayed at Sunborn Yacht and Sumner Hotel. The Riverbank had better breakfast, the Sumner had reliable internet access, the Sunborn had reliable internet, average room with an expensive, poor quality breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
11  Thank DrtMrtni
Reviewed March 19, 2007

I stayed at this hotel on 2nd & 3rd March 2007 for my husbands 30th Birthday. I booked direct on hotel website and had a good weekend rate. Arrived at hotel 13.30 and was able to check in straight away and to our surprise upgraded to their 5* accomodation section 'Plaza on the River' and now had an executive suite. This was amazing seperate check in desk, champagne on arrival etc. The room was fantastic. It was our own little flat for the weekend. Had FULL kitchen facilities right down to dishwasher and washing machine. Dining Table and Chairs, Leather Sofa, Huge bed, Walk in shower, Flat screen TV you name it, the room had it. We had room service breakfast the two mornings, delivered and all set up for us. Turn down service with chocolates each evening. Those little things make all the difference. It did to us anyway. The hotel was very modern and chic. Quite expensive for drinks in hotel £12.50 for a pint of lager and a vodka and lemonade but you are central london, so that was expected and at a 5* hotel. We didn't use the tube at any time, we walked everwhere, as long as you don't mind walking - Good Advice - Wear comfortable shoes - I had to buy a new pair. I think you see more sights that way. A taxi from Paddingon cost us £8 there, but £12 on return because of traffic. A taxi into or from covent gardens/leicester square in the evening was anything between £7 and £11 depending on traffic and which route the driver took. This seemed to be the area to be in the evening. Saw Phantom of Opera also on Sat Eve - Amazing show !!!! Amazing Hotel !!!!!! Great Weekend !!!!!

3  Thank lmorgan