“Excellent hotel”

Park Plaza London Riverbank
Ranked #371 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 25, 2007

The hotel is ideally situated just across the River Thames opposite Big Ben and Houses of Parliament. A stylish, chic hotel of a very high standard. Excellent breakfast, staff very helpful and professional, cannot do enough for you. When staying over in London again will definitely use this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank AndyCCambridge
Write a ReviewReviews (5,724)

Reviewed March 24, 2007

Hotel search for our 3 week London trip was dominated by the requirement for high-speed in-room internet access and under $200USD/night, within 10 mins to a tube. Various searches (laterooms, venere, londonview, hotelsrus, etc) lead me to the Riverbank Park Plaza. I contacted the hotel directly and received a great quote of 69 GBP/night for 2 adults. It was a special winter promo package rate for "Non Smoking superior room, internet access, full English breakfast voucher for "Buy one get one free" to use in bar, 50% discount on food only in restaurant."

Location: between Waterloo (15 min) & Vauxhall (5 min) tubes. It was pleasant walking the embankment towards London Eye, Westminister every day.

Check-in: Callous. The Riverbank web site advertised that "Each room is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities including high-speed Internet, fax & modem points, flat screen televisions, EU/US power sockets, direct dial telephone, a large work desk, mini-bar, tea & coffee making facilities, laptop safe plus movie & music channels on demand." Since they didn't charge extra for these other amenities i was quite surprised upon check-in that they would be charging us extra for the 24-hr internet access. ESPECIALLY since i had specifically emailed and verified with staff prior to arrival. When i showed them the email print out, the staff manager on duty simply shrugged and said the employee who had been corresponding with me was wrong, and there was nothing more to be done.

We were still focusing on the bright side: 69 GBP with breakfast included was still a great rate for a business hotel in London. The hotel was in a great location, and there was a cool, hip bar/resto (Chino Latino) in the lobby to use our voucher.

Room: 9th floor. Sleek, dark, modern furnishings, with jewel toned upholstery. The bed had nice firm pillows, crisp, cotton sheets, and fluffy comforter. Room was spotlessly cleaned every day, stable temperature with an adjustable thermostat. There were multiple plug-points (multi-region too) under the desk, which was really handy since we had 2 laptops and 2 cell phones to charge every night. What was a MAJOR disappointment and problem during our 7 day stay: the internet was down for 3 business days. It was an issue wit the ISP, which was not within the hotel's control. This time, the management was responsive and refunded the internet charge.

Bathroom: was fairly large, modern fittings (large square sink, black/white tiling and steel fittings) about six steps between the loo and tub directly across. There was a shower stall (roomy, with glass door, excellent pressure) as well as a tub.

The room did have a horrid view - situated on the side of the building, there was a tall office building with lots of windows, directly across from our room, with the train tracks towards the back. I'm not sure if we were just heavy sleepers during this trip or if the windows are double-reinforced, but the noise from the tracks did not bother our sleep.

Breakfast: each morning, we went down to the ground floor, past the business center, to the cafeteria where the complimentary breakfast was served. It is a large room, with a sitting area with couches as well as cafeteria style tables/chairs. Pleasant staff greeted us, verified our room number and seated us promptly. Coffee and tea were served at our table, and refilled appropriately. Spouse ordered egg-whites every day (off menu) and was accomodated without fuss. The rest of the breakfast was buffet style/self-serve.
There was one station with scrambled eggs (egg beaters), heinz beans, whole steamed mushrooms, bacon & sausage. There was a 2nd station with an assortment of breakfast pastries (croissants, fruit cake, muffins, danishes - all fresh from somewhere, everyday), fruit salad (water melon, apples, grapes, oranges, berries, melon), stewed prunes & figs, yogurt, muesli, white and dark bread, 3 types of cheeses and the usual assortment of orange & strawberry jams. There was a juice station: apple, orange & grapefruit. For a breakfast-inclusive rate, this was a good spread. My carnivore spouse got his fill of egg whites, bacon & sausage and topped it off with brekafast pastries and juice. I was perfectly happy with the fresh fruit salad, muesli, yogurt, mushrooms and beans and muffins/croissant.

Overall: we loved the location. Have great memories of our walks on the embankment. Chino Latino was cool to hang out at, and conveneint meeting place for quick get-together with business associates. Close proximity to Waterloo made it really convenient ot catch our Eurostar connection to Paris on the last day. Our room was fine for us, and aside form the cold reception at check-in and the ISP blip for th 3 days, we had no issues with our stay.

During this trip we also stayed at Sunborn Yacht and Sumner Hotel. The Riverbank had better breakfast, the Sumner had reliable internet access, the Sunborn had reliable internet, average room with an expensive, poor quality breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank DrtMrtni
Reviewed March 19, 2007

I stayed at this hotel on 2nd & 3rd March 2007 for my husbands 30th Birthday. I booked direct on hotel website and had a good weekend rate. Arrived at hotel 13.30 and was able to check in straight away and to our surprise upgraded to their 5* accomodation section 'Plaza on the River' and now had an executive suite. This was amazing seperate check in desk, champagne on arrival etc. The room was fantastic. It was our own little flat for the weekend. Had FULL kitchen facilities right down to dishwasher and washing machine. Dining Table and Chairs, Leather Sofa, Huge bed, Walk in shower, Flat screen TV you name it, the room had it. We had room service breakfast the two mornings, delivered and all set up for us. Turn down service with chocolates each evening. Those little things make all the difference. It did to us anyway. The hotel was very modern and chic. Quite expensive for drinks in hotel £12.50 for a pint of lager and a vodka and lemonade but you are central london, so that was expected and at a 5* hotel. We didn't use the tube at any time, we walked everwhere, as long as you don't mind walking - Good Advice - Wear comfortable shoes - I had to buy a new pair. I think you see more sights that way. A taxi from Paddingon cost us £8 there, but £12 on return because of traffic. A taxi into or from covent gardens/leicester square in the evening was anything between £7 and £11 depending on traffic and which route the driver took. This seemed to be the area to be in the evening. Saw Phantom of Opera also on Sat Eve - Amazing show !!!! Amazing Hotel !!!!!! Great Weekend !!!!!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lmorgan
Reviewed March 13, 2007

Booked on a special from last minute a couple of weeks ago....
THE GOOD
very impressive reception,bar and stylish and spacious bedrooms.Had dinner in the resteraunt(asian/western fusion) and it was surprisingly good,far better than I'd hoped for and not too pricey.

THE BAD
Not really the ideal position to enjoy the nightlife.The telly was on the blink,The rather funky looking shower had nothing more than a drizzle(I had to run around to get wet!),Only one cup for making the tea,the window's were fitted with locks I couldn't open,and no hairdryer in the room(we asked but it never came).

THE UGLY
The room(as i'm told all standard rooms) overlooked the railway line and the bins,trains were pretty constant.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank littlebriton
Reviewed March 13, 2007

Had a lovely long weekend during a Spanish bank holiday that allowed going back to London for a few days. The hotel was recommended by a friend and we are still gratefull he did that.

Staff was very warm and welcoming - made us feel at home. At some point requested additional towels and less than five minutes later we were given 5 freshly washed towels. Great service.

Rooms nicely firnished and we were lucky to have a riverview room - a true kodak moment!

If some people complain about the hotel being off track we disagree. It might be a five minutes walk to the next tube but busses and taxis are available and when in London you will appreciate having one of the most splendid walks alongside the Thames in front of your doorstepp.

Working in toursim myself in Spain I can highly recommend this hotel - well done.

Eddy from Palma de Mallorca

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank EddyPMI
Reviewed March 7, 2007

I booked the Riverbank Plaza online at Lastminute.com and got a great deal, I needed a hotel close to either Waterloo or Vauxhall stations and at £100 for a Monday night I thought it was a bargain.

The location is fantastic, literally a 5 minute walk to Vauxhall.

I was early arriving at the hotel and thought I would have to put my bags in with the Conceierge, but at 11.30am I was able to check in and move into my room.

The rooms were spacious and modern, the beds were large and comfortable. The bathrooms were huge with a seperate bath and walk in shower. Plasma TV, internet via the TV, mini bar, all the things you'd expect.

The gym was OK, just some cardio equipment, no free weights or weight machines.

The only grumble, but I knew about the possibility of it before I arrived, was my room backed onto the train track, so the noise of the trains was a slight problem, nothing that some ear plugs wouldn't solve.

I will definately be staying at this hotel again, having previously stayed on the other side of the river I will be booking in next time I'm in London to party as there are a number of excellent (gay)clubs in the area: Crash, Fire and Area: and being able to stumble back to the hotel and not bother with taxis!

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank supershearer
Reviewed March 7, 2007

Was a really lovely hotel! Room was great the only prob was where we was in a superior not a executive room we had a view of building work and a railway track! Made me and my parnter feel cheated because it had said views of all theselondon attractions did not state you had to stay in the executive room! It gave me the feeling of ' well they are in a lower class room, so lets give them the view of a railway track.' I undertand you get waht you pay for but the superiour room does not come cheap!
I was very dissapointed the hotel is not in walking distace of anything apart from a 15minute walk to the train station that you have to walk unless we stayed in a counted the number of trains that went by!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple