“Another big glitzy four star”

Park Plaza London Riverbank
Ranked #384 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Another big glitzy four star”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I've stayed here three or four times and it's 'OK'. Rooms are clean and tidy, shiny bathrooms etc, all very well presented. One of those places with an enormous lobby and a row of smart, smiling people ready to relieve you of the best part of £200 - and not necessarily including breakfast ! I can't fault it for cleanliness and quality. It's just soulless but certainly not alone in that sense.

I used to travel a lot in the USA and this hotel is typical of the large city centre four star places you get over there, a row of check in desk, a chap standing around at another desk called a 'bell' something or other, an expensive restaurant, a bar which couldn't be further from being a 'pub' if it tried - no hanging around the bar for a 'pint of best' ! And be prepared to pay top whack for drinks - plus the percentage they add on for bringing it all of five yards to you.

You could be anywhere in the world as these sort of places all tend to be pretty much the same. I guess they cater for a certain type of international traveller but I prefer to stay in a more typical British inn;the sort of places the locals would go to. You won't find any locals in this place, they'll be down the road in the pub !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MaciejHille, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor.

Your feedback and suggestions are of great value to us, we will take them on board in order to improve our offer.

I look forward to welcoming you again some time soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (853)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I frequently stay in hotels in central London but this was my first stay at the Riverbank Park Plaza. Impressive location for this hotel which also has the sort of impressive frontage that suggests a classy hotel. Check in was fine and prompt. The first thing to notice is that the corridors have a dark and gloomy feel with low lighting, grey painted walls with doors and woodwork in a very dark wood. My twin room was reasonably well equipped with a bathroom with both a bath and a shower. The fittings are modern and tasteful. The room itself was bijou such that I struggled to have enough room to put my case down on the floor as I didn't want to risk soiling the bedding with the wheels. It was too small to have a coffee table and chair in addition to the chair with the desk. They were unnecessary. The wardrobe was too small with insufficient hangers to hang my clothes for four nights and the ironing board stored in the wardrobe takes up the valuable space. In summary a cramped room. Comfy bed and good size TV. My room was however next to the lift motor room for what I believe is a secondary lift which was only particularly active in the mornings from 6am.
The breakfast is served in the basement lounge. I stayed for a number of days and I got the impression that the breakfast serving was under pressure due to too few staff and inefficient processes. Failed to ask whether I wanted tea / coffee and had to ask and on one occasion more than once. A number if items were allowed to run out / fruit salad / grapefruit / porridge (awful) and the staff needed prompting to refill. Used crockery allowed to build up at the table and no follow up for coffee refill. The facilities are there and the improvements don't appear to be cost related just not up to par.
I stayed at this hotel because my hotel of choice (Doubletree Westminster) was full (for comparable room rate) and so I was placed here. I can see why there were vacancies and my stay has not teased me away from hotel of choice for future stays.

Room Tip: Do not get placed next to lift motor room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CrabberOne
MaciejHille, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review online.

Your feedback is highly valued and much appreciated - and will be used to improve the level of service in future.

I still hope you will get the chance to stay at Park Plaza Riverbank again.

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Just spent a weekend at the Park Plaza and everything was perfect. We put in for an upgrade on a standby basis, if one was available, and there was!
It only cost us £7 more and was well worth it. Comfortable bed, spacious room and full bathroom with bath and separate shower. We only wished there was more time to enjoy it but London is a busy city.
As we intended to stroll around London the location of the hotel was no problem and we grabbed a taxi from waterloo station when we arrived. If you want a hotel in the heart of everything then you may not enjoy a 5 minute walk to the London Eye/South Bank, but this was value for money. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Go for an upgrade-10th floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

It was a great pleasure for me to read how much you enjoyed your stay at Park Plaza Riverbank, and how you benefited from our e-Standby upgrade scheme.

I hope to see you again some time soon!

Dublin
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I have been to london many times for pleasure and business and this hotel is definitely one of the best I came across in recent years.

The rooms are a good size, the bathroom very high spec with granit fllor and tiles shower and bathtub available.

Service was very good from check in to check out. The location is good, only few minutes walk to vauxhall tube and 1.5km to westminister, london eye, the river thames at your door step and fairly reasonably priced.

Would recommed it.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

I appreciate your good words, especially those directed to our staff - please rest assured that I will forward them on to the team.

N.Wales
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here for one night for a mini trip to London. Location was spot on, about 5 minute walk to the nearest tube station, Vauxhall. We had an executive riverbank view room on the top floor (1143) and it was spot on. Huge room with a lovely comfortable bed, separate bath and shower and a lovely view of parliament and the Thames. I had a perfect nights sleep and didn't hear a single noise. Had our evening dinner at chino Latino on the ground floor, was a stunning meal with great service, recommended. Staff we all lovely and very helpful. Next time I go to London I shall definitely book this hotel again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kerry,

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

It was with great pleasure that I read how much you liked one of our Executive Riverview rooms, as well as your meal at Chino Latino restaurant.

I hope you will get the chance to visit us again very soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I came to London on business in February, and I knew it would be cold--but I was surprised to find out how cold the lobby of my hotel would be. Literally. My first impression of the hotel was that the lobby was freezing--there appeared to be no central heat system for the lobby. There were actually space heaters in the lobby to heat it. Although that was my initial impression of the hotel, overall I thought it was a decent business hotel. It had all of the makings of a good business hotel--the wifi was good (and included), the bed was comfortable, and there was a pretty good lobby bar. Granted, the hotel is in Vauxhall, so it is not terribly convenient, and you have to get to central London by taking the tube or via cab, and there really isn't much around the area at night. Breakfast at the hotel was average. Overall, okay for business, but I wouldn't stay here if I wanted to experience London.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank travelrabbit2003
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I hope you will choose to stay at Park Plaza Riverbank again upon your future business trips to London!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2013

After leaving another hotel I wasn't too satisfied with...I moved to the Park Plaza. I arrived shortly after 11am and had a very smooth check-in. I was nicely surprised with a room being immediately available. I was even more surprised how perfect the room was...it was very impressive! Immaculately clean and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was just gorgeous with a tub and separate shower. The bellman brought my suitcase and showed me around the room. The biggest bonus for me was the ease and speed I connected my smartphone and laptop to the WiFi. There were no tricks or codes or having to move around the room to get wireless. The Internet worked perfect the 2 nights I was there. The TV was very nice and I really enjoyed that. Shortly after I checked in, I ordered room service. Again I was very nicely surprised with the speed and quality of the meal. The fish and chips were great! The next night I had pizza and it was one of the best pizza's I'd ever had! The location was only a short walk to the Vauxhall underground tube which I used several times. The night before I left, I contacted the Bell Desk and booked a private car to the airport and that went really smoothly. Seriously...I'd be hard pressed to find anything to complain about at this hotel. Next time I go to London, I will be relieved to know that I already know the best place to stay!

Room Tip: After reading reviews here...I asked for a "quiet" room away from the tracks.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review online.

I was thrilled to read how good your experience was on this occasion - we will be looking forward your future visits!