“Perfect for Dieting Insomniacs”

Park Plaza London Riverbank
Ranked #392 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Before I stayed at the Park Plaza Riverbank I couldn't understand why it had such contrasting Trip Advisor reviews. Having spent three nights there, I now realise that it is possible to have very different experiences at this hotel.

My first night was spent in a room at the rear of the hotel overlooking the very busy railway line going into London's Waterloo station. Even though I was on the tenth floor, the noise was bad. Partly due to the trains but also because the soundproofing between the rooms was almost non-existent (it sounded as though my neighbours' television sets were in my room) and it was almost impossible to sleep. To their credit, the helpful receptionists moved me to a much quieter room.

The other really negative point about the Park Plaza was the breakfast meal. I had a room rate which included breakfast and so, rather than eat in the very pleasant ground floor restaurant, I was sent to the 'Club lounge'. The name might suggest an exclusive London club. However, what you get is a windowless, soulless and truly dreadful experience. It had more in common with a nuclear air raid shelter than a four star hotel. The food was mediocre from the cheapest orange juice to the over-cooked English breakfast. The staff struggled to cope with the numbers and, as a result, they had run out of fruit salad and the tables were dirty. I didn't take the breakfast on the other two mornings. The Plaza really is letting itself, and its guests, down.

It wasn't all negative and I can quite see why some reviewers have really liked this hotel. The public areas are impressive and the bedrooms well designed and very clean. The staff are, without exception, friendly and helpful. The location, on the South Bank 10 minutes walk from Vauxhall Tube, isn't brilliant but it isn't bad either.

In summary, if you get the right rate and insist on a quiet room you could have a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: My tips on staying here are to insist on a quiet room, preferably with a river view, and opt not to...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
MarioGarcia-Vao, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear UK John N,

We appreciate your sincere feedback and I was really sorry to read about your Breakfast experience. I will be sharing this with our Food and Beverage management for review and action. I was glad however to read that our staff addressed your preferences providing you a room up to your needs.

I trust you will be visiting us soon and we look forward to it.

Kind regards,
Mario Garcia-Vao
Senior Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I booked this hotel for my girlfriend and I, on our anniversary. Upon arrival we was greeted by the most friendliest staff. Check in was fast and simple. When we opened the door to our room. we was astonished at the absolutely beautiful, stunning view. The room was elegant and charming, with a big bathroom, bed and bottle of wine compliments from the hotel. Many thanks to the staff at the Park Plaza.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pani04
MaciejHille, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Pani,

Thank you for posting your review online.

I was happy to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us on such a special occasion!

I look forward to your future visits, hopefully some time soon.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Well, I'm a Londoner, and know how it goes in here - there's a few hotels worth paying their high rates for, right down to hostels, it's probably the diciest citiy on earth to know what you will get for your money unless you're splashing out, big time!

So, this hotel is on the Southbank, between Vauxhall and Lambeth Bridges - slightly nearer to Lambeth Bridge. You are not going to walk out of the door into the West End, or anything really - you are going to need to get somewhere if the hotel itself is not your final destination! Which is probably why that even on the coldest day in Feb, you will find taxis ready and waiting outside.

However - I had charged up my Oyster card and we enjoyed the 10-20mins to Picadilly Circus/Oxford Circus on the No 3 bus from Lambeth Palace which not only gets you directly into the west end but of course connects into the most useful tube routes. You can also get a bus, turn left out of the hotel that will take you right up to the South Kensington museums (and you get to see more when you take the bus)!

Check-in at the hotel was a breeze and my son was delighted with his activity pack (a wooden yoyo, foam bookmark, ID wristband, colouring book & pencils). During our stay we generally went out during the day and then came back to our room and collapsed. Having eaten out, we didn't use the hotel restaurant atall. We were very happy to stay in our spacious, clean and well decorated room and appreciated there being both a shower and bath.

Admittedly, we got a great deal on our room here, I think I paid about the same as the Premier Inn Southbank, maybe less. I would recommend this hotel for couples in the Summer really - it's very chic with lots of Southbank walking opportunities (the Southbank of a summer afternoon/evening is lovely) and some more city-edge urban options towards Vauxhall. Also, they only have double (not twin) rooms with a city view - so rather tells you that's where they're at!

Room Tip: Double room (not twin) needed for a river view. The hotel pics are misleading - you are about a mil...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review.

It was great to read about your good experience with us, I should hope that you and your family will choose to stay with us again in future!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and modern inside, very much to my taste. The staff could not do enough for me and my friend when we stayed and we were even able to check in at 12pm even though it's not officially until 2pm which really made our lives easier. The room was lovely and modern, had everything we needed including hairdryer, iron with ironing board, tea and coffee making facilities and toiletries. The bathroom was lush - great big bath, walk in shower and even a phone next to the loo! We didn't have much of a view and it is near the rail line which can be heard but it didn't disturb our sleep.
I've stayed here before and at the other Park Plaza hotels and the rooms were much bigger previously so I would've really liked to have been given a bigger room with a view but I guess you can't have everything.
The only downfall to this hotel is that its not right by a tube station, however, Vauxhall and Waterloo are about 15-20 mins walk so it wasn't too bad and there are taxis always waiting outside.

I would recommend this hotel to others as it is by the river and walking to the tube did allow us to have a lovely view of all the London landmarks. The staff really couldn't do enough for us and I think customer service goes a long way.

Room Tip: I asked for a Riverside room but as I was with a friend and we'd booked a twin room they advised...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Sofie,

Thank you for your recommendation on TripAdvisor.

I was happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us - especially your good words towards our staff are of great value, please rest assured that these will be passed on to the team.

I look forward to your future stays at Park Plaza hotels some time soon!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was a great hotel and the staff was wonderful. The amenities were top notch and being right on the River Thames, the location could not be beat. Breakfast in the morning was very well done and included a wide variety of food. I would come back here on business or with my family in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If room view is important, you should check the room first. Some rooms in the back are right above...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Tom,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community.

It was with great pleasure that I read how much you liked it here and I will definitely look forward to your future visits!

Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

All good. Room was of reasonable size, table for computer, good bathroom, good bed. Had a nice meal and drinks downstairs. Handy to walk to Big Ben and Parliament areas of London. Good hotel overall and recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your recommendation!

I look forward to welcoming you back at Park Plaza Riverbank in the near future.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The location was fantastic, less than ten minute walk to Victoria Tower Gardens (through Lambeth Bridge), and a 15-20min walk to the Big Ben (through Westminster Bridge), and just facing the river. If you want to go around using the public transport, there are a few lines that stop in front of the hotel, and the Vauxhall station is 5 min walk away. If you want to take a taxi, I spent less than 15 pounds to go from the hotel to Paddington Station. Around the hotel (towards Vauxhall station) there are some restaurants and shops. Nevertheless, I arrived on a weekday around 11pm, and I only found 1 restaurant where to have dinner (even the hotel's restaurant was closed).
I booked an executive room with breakfast, and got a room with disable facilities in the 11th floor, with view to the city (really nice). The room did not have bath and the noise from the railway was disturbing during the night. Next day I requested a change, so after searching for a while (the hotel was almost full) I got a room in the 4th. floor with no view. But, this room had shower, bath, and it was quite during the night, so I had a good sleep. The breakfast was Continental and I paid almost five pounds to upgrade to English breakfast. Anyway, both options were well served, and the price was good if you don't have the time to go around.

Room Tip: Rooms with city view are noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review online.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here - and indeed we are located within commutable distance from all major London's attractions!

I should hope that you will choose to stay at Park Plaza Riverbank again in the future.