Before I stayed at the Park Plaza Riverbank I couldn't understand why it had such contrasting Trip Advisor reviews. Having spent three nights there, I now realise that it is possible to have very different experiences at this hotel.
My first night was spent in a room at the rear of the hotel overlooking the very busy railway line going into London's Waterloo station. Even though I was on the tenth floor, the noise was bad. Partly due to the trains but also because the soundproofing between the rooms was almost non-existent (it sounded as though my neighbours' television sets were in my room) and it was almost impossible to sleep. To their credit, the helpful receptionists moved me to a much quieter room.
The other really negative point about the Park Plaza was the breakfast meal. I had a room rate which included breakfast and so, rather than eat in the very pleasant ground floor restaurant, I was sent to the 'Club lounge'. The name might suggest an exclusive London club. However, what you get is a windowless, soulless and truly dreadful experience. It had more in common with a nuclear air raid shelter than a four star hotel. The food was mediocre from the cheapest orange juice to the over-cooked English breakfast. The staff struggled to cope with the numbers and, as a result, they had run out of fruit salad and the tables were dirty. I didn't take the breakfast on the other two mornings. The Plaza really is letting itself, and its guests, down.
It wasn't all negative and I can quite see why some reviewers have really liked this hotel. The public areas are impressive and the bedrooms well designed and very clean. The staff are, without exception, friendly and helpful. The location, on the South Bank 10 minutes walk from Vauxhall Tube, isn't brilliant but it isn't bad either.
In summary, if you get the right rate and insist on a quiet room you could have a very pleasant stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking Millbank and the Houses of Parliament in the heart of the city, Park Plaza London Riverbank offers stunning four-star deluxe accommodation for corporate and leisure travellers. The hotel is within easy reach of both London Waterloo and Vauxhall railway stations as well as Westminster Underground. Following a spectacular renovation, Park Plaza London Riverbank now offers 489 sumptuous guest rooms, including Superior Rooms, Executive Rooms and Suites, some with stunning river views. The modern fitness suite is open 24 hours a day and features a range of cardio and weight equipment. Located on the first floor, Chino Latino(R) Restaurant & Bar, the Lounge and a fresh new Sushi Bar offer tantalising cuisine with beautiful 180-degree panoramic views of the River Thames and the Houses of Parliament. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Park Plaza London Riverbank reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Park Plaza Riverbank London Hotel London
- Park Plaza London Riverbank England
- London Park Plaza
- Riverbank Park Plaza London