“Not bad but Executive supplement questionable”

Park Plaza London Riverbank
Ranked #382 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Larne, Northern Ireland
“Not bad but Executive supplement questionable”
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Having got a cheapie flight we spent one night here whilst taking in a show.

We paid for the Executive upgrade which I'm really not sure is worth the money - the exclusive executive lounge is a bit bland and the only refreshments are on offer are tea and coffee. (The free wine is only available 6 to 8 when most people will be out!). We had to have our breakfast in the main restaurant as the executive lounge was full.

Good hotel and I can't complain about it but as I say not sure the Executive supplement is worth while.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (865)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen
Reviewed February 29, 2008

Just returned from the hotel, attended a conference and in all honesty it would not have been my choice to stay there as it's pricy, there are alternatives I would have used if I had the opportunity. The hotel is what you expect for this level of cost, clean, tidy and decorated in a Japanese theme, breakfast is very good but you expect that to be for £20. Food in the restaurant was pretentious and too expensive and nothing very special, beer was overpriced and limited to a tasteless Japanese brew.
Only real positive attribute were the staff, courteous and extremely friendly.

Stayed February 2008
MG
Reviewed February 27, 2008

I booked this hotel as it was new, it seemed very clean from the images and the trip was for a special occasion.
From the moment I contacted the hotel to ask what they could do to help make this occasion special, I knew I'd made the right choice. They came back immediately with package options and were very friendly in correspondence.
When we got there, we were greeted by very friendly check in staff and when we arrived in the room, there was a hand written card wishing a happy birthday from the manager and a bottle of wine. This personal touch was very welcoming. We rang down for a corkscrew and a hotel member of staff was there quickly, also asking if they could be anymore help.
When we went for dinner at the hotel restaurant later that night, the waiter we had could not do enough for us either, even arranging a small little cake and sparkler, free of charge. Then he proceeded to seat us on a sofa in the main bar and take our wine and glasses there. The service was amazing.
Overall and coupled with the late check out as requested, I have to say that this hotel has the best service I have been to so far, from correspondence, check in, to check out, they could not have done enough. I have been to a lot of countries and stayed in a lot of hotels, but I will definitely be coming back to this one

• Liked — The Service
  • Disliked — N/A
Luton
Reviewed February 18, 2008

We had high expectations of this hotel but to be quite honest it was just a mediocre hotel. The first room we were given was still being serviced (even though we checked in way after the 2pm check in time). The next room we were given was ok but little things like the hair dryer was missing (which we had to wait ages to get a replacement). The hotel is quite a distance from the true hustle and bustle of London although the tubes made it fairly easy. Not that easy to find from Vauxhall station (unless you know London very well). Exiting the station with the bus station in front you need to take a right and this is Albert embankment. The hotel is about 500 m along the road.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed February 3, 2008

I had the most pleasant stay at the Park Plaza Riverbank Hotel in London just recently. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel; everything was perfect from check-in to check-out, especially the staff! What a great crew!

I arrived an hour prior to regular check-in times, yet they were very friendly and accommodating, taking care of my luggage while I went for a walk in the nearby area. The doorman was exceptionally friendly and chatty, giving great tips on where to go. (Very nice neighborhood, clean and safe.) I made my reservation directly with the hotel website, and opted to upgrade to one of their Executive rooms with a river view, something I certainly recommend to avoid the not so great view of the backside. And how this payed off!

The front desk set me up in room 1045, with the most spectacular views of Houses of parliament, Big Ben, the river Thames and the London Eye. It could not have been any better! The room was spotless, spacious and very inviting and modern. Moodlights in the floor- to ceiling-windows really gave a fantastic ambient atmosphere at night, and again the view at night was even more awesome. The Media Centre was easy to use, with movies available on demand (surcharge) a varied choice of popular international and domestic tv-channels and music on demand, every genre available. And what comfortable beds! Also note there was a pillow-menu, great feature!

The bath was also large and bright, with separate shower and tub. Also in the Executive package were nice amenities such as vanity kits, combs, soaps etc.

Room service was fantastic, and it took no more than 15 minutes to receive a well prepared and tasty dish at a reasonable price. The woman who brought it over was again a great example of the friendly staff, all being genuinely interested in the well-being of their guests, something you don't often come across these days.

Also, your television comes equipped with a keyboard to surf the net or check your mail, but it might be a bit tricky to get used to. If you would rather want a real computer, their business centre located on the lower level is absolutely outstanding with everything you need and great assistance from staff.

All in all I cannot recommend a better hotel in this area. Some people have found the distance to the tube a bit lengthy, yet you still FEEL as if you're in the very centre of all the action and come on, it's only a ten minute walk:) I will definitely stay at this hotel on my next visit to London!

• Liked — The views, staff and large rooms
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank NDiesel
UK
Reviewed January 29, 2008

Stayed here just for 1 night in January 2008. I stayed here on the back of some good reviews from colleagues, but to be honest I was disappointed. Check-in was fine, a huge reception area adjoining the Chino Latino restaurant. My room was on the 2nd floor right on the corner of Albert Embankment and a side street.

First impressions were tainted by two single beds, I was looking forward to a double. The TV didn't work and I had to call for assistance, which to be fair was quick and sorted the problem (cable had dropped out of the rear). The bathroom had a light which stayed on continuously (why!?) and I failed to find a 2-pin shaver socket! Heating is controlled from a wall console and is efficient.

Room was clean and tidy, no trouser press but an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe. Tea and coffee provided but no biscuits.

Beds were comfortable but the night was spoiled by the noise. Trains at the back and the London Fire Brigade live next door. If you are a trainspotting, fire engine enthusiast you will love it.

I did not eat in the restaurant but chose room service. This was efficient but with a 30 minute wait. They even phoned me up to advise on progress and when it came it looked very nice. Unfortunately the meal was served on an icy cold plate which soon turned the entire meal cold.

Bar prices are a scream, but the Rose (down the road) is nice. Don't be tempted to walk beyond the Tinworth Street bridge and into the park area. (Mugging Central.) Main roads are fine.

Breakfast takes place in the basement. The room is light but no nice views of London to start the day. I had been told this was a really great breakfast selection, but the City Inn across the river knocks spots off this. I asked for tea, got a nice china teapot - with just hot ater and some tea bags. Strange. No offer of toast, you have to help yourself by the look of things. Food was fine, but nothing outstanding.

Check out was quick and plenty of cabs outside. As for the walk to Vauxhall Tube, its only about 10 minutes. The walk takes you past the Madeira Cafe, which is a far better option for breakfast! Good honest food at sensible prices.

If you have the option of a hotel to stay in, go the the Westminster City Inn. It's much better honestly.

• Liked — Convenient.
  • Disliked — Noise.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank NickKeo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 29, 2008

My mother and i stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in November, it was chosen through the travel agent we booked through. For a 4* hotel i would of expected the room to be clean when we got there, there was a rolled up pair of men's socks under the bed - these remainded there until we left! The staff were very rude and expecially 'Steven@ in the dining hall for breakfast, was very very rude on the last day of our stay. The prices for a drink in the hotel were outrageous - for a bicardi and coke and JD and coke we were paying £20 were in the pub (the rose) down the road we paid £12. Would not reccommend this hotel for people.

• Liked — room was very plush
  • Disliked — see review!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends