“Good hotel”

Park Plaza London Riverbank
Ranked #387 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I stayed here for 1 night on 10 July 2011. Check in was a bit slow, despite four receptionists on duty. We were offered breakfast at a cheaper rate, if we booked at reception rather than in the restaurant at breakfast time. The room was a standard room, flat screen tv, efficient air-con. Lousy view of the railway line behind the hotel, but the room kept out any train noise. As per usual, there was only one easy chair in a double room.
The bath room had a separate shower and tub. There was plenty of room for two people to put their toiletries. There did seem to be a slight problem with the shower, I couldn't get it to stop running water after I'd turned it off.
Breakfast was between 7 and 11, so plenty of time to eat it! Breakfast was ok, but didn't really offer a great choice, but there was enough to eat and no problem finding a table or food.

• Stayed: June 2011
NNieto, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2011

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to review Park Plaza Riverbank regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that your stay with us was overall enjoyable and would like to thank you for your positive comments on the hotel.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Park Plaza Hotels & Resorts we apologize for the concerns you have about your experience at this hotel in regards to your check-in waiting time and shower, I have addressed your comments with the respective departments for review and action.

We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit, we can meet or exceed your expectations.

There are newer reviews for Park Plaza London Riverbank

Reviewed June 7, 2011

We were in London for the first time for our 3 anniversary, while checking in happened to mention it to the receptionist and when we came into our room in the afternoon we had the sweetest postcard and complimentray bottle of wine :)

Staff (front des, concierge, restaurant or just crosseres) were always nice and helpful and made us feel happy to be there!

The room service was quick and good, loved the cocktails and the bkf buffet was more than enough to start up the day.

The room was very clean and confortable!

The location was PERFECT!

WILL GO BACK :)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SoniaServo
NNieto, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2011

Dear Sonia,

We are delighted to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable and would like to thank you for your positive comments, we all over the moon believe me, so a big thank you from all staff here!

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our card and wine and on behalf of our entire staff here at the Park Plaza Hotels & Resorts we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area, maybe for your 4th anniversary!

Reviewed June 7, 2011

We booked this fairly last minute as we needed to be near Waterloo. Had never heard of it and was a bit suspect about the area but TA reviews seemed ok and the price was sensible. It's very cool and modern - coolness of service on the edge of coldness but it seemed to fit the mood, not a problem. Room are great, very comfortable - good beds, fantastic bathroom and all mod cons. Our room was on the back overlooking the railway but we had one of the quietest nights we have ever had in central London and I will take that over a pretty view anytime! The carpets in the room and corridors are covered with literary quotes but no explanation anywhere as to why or their relevance - an apparent lack of any hotel info in the rooms meant we never found our what it was all about. So a good stay perhaps except a bizarre experience at breakfast which left us both bemused and amused.
We were told on check in that breakfast was served at level -1. We duly arrived only to be told by the maitre d' that we had been "upgraded to the 5* restaurant upstairs" and given a piece of paper. So up we went obediently to the Chino Latino restaurant on the ground floor and presented our key card and piece of paper. Fine says the new maitre d' showing us to a table, telling us very poiltely " you are entitled to only cold buffet not hot buffet" unless you pay an extra £6 each. Cold buffet looked great - ham, cheese, salmon, bakery , eggs that'll do nicely - "no thanks" says I. meanwhile everybody else was tucking into the hot buffet while we sat there quite happy but sure in the knowledge that we were very much second class citizens - should we be awfully naughty and nick a mushroom?! Our reservation said nothing about limited breakfast options and I was left wondering if we had not been "upgraded" (in fact, of course, fobbed off because the main breakfast room was full) whether we could have had a hot meal. If the management read this, it was clumsy and unnecessary guys - what we had had no less ingredient value as to what we would have had if we had been unrestricted and if it is just a ruse to get an extra £6 per head - well you are better than that. You will see from my TA profile that I have travelled a lot and so I know I am not being naive in this matter.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank housered

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your positive comments on the hotel and staff, however I am terribly sorry to hear of your breakfast experience, I totally understand your frustration, please accept our deepest apologies.

I have addressed your comments with our Food&Beverage Manager, who has ask me to extend his apologies on his behalf. This will be looked into and fully investigated, we believe this might have been a new member of staff, which is not an excuse, but is thank you to customers like you that we can work on improve on the quality of our services and product.

We sincerely hope that your stay with us was overall enjoyable. I would be most pleased to welcome you back,show you what we are capable of and be able to restore your faith in us.

Please do contact me or one of our Guest Relations Manager directly and we will make sure you do have not only a full breakfast, but an unforgettable stay with us!

Reviewed June 6, 2011

I booked this hotel using Hotwire (but fairly sure which property I would be getting). Although we were only staying for one precruise night, we were meeting our two sons stationed overseas and our friends. The concierge was very helpful in assisting me with additional rooms and airport pick ups to maximize our time.

The hotel is located on the Thames and it is only a short walk across the bridge to be in the heart of Westminster. The property is new, very clean and comfortable. The breakfast buffet can be included for $10 GBP and is very nicely put out.

I was especially grateful to the front desk for upgrading us to a suite so that we could get a quick clean up after our early morning arrival before heading out for the day. It also gave us more room to make our son comfortable sharing with us. The beds were extremely comfortable and the bathrooms large and modern.

The one and only negative was regarding the airport pick up. We had an amazingly long immigration line wait of almost 2 hours. The driver believed we weren't coming and headed back to town. Given that we were pretty tired, this wasn't good news, but understandable. However, it was shortly rectified. The same driver returned for my son a few hours later. The concierge informed me that I would be charged for 2.5 pickups to offset the transport company's expense of the missed pickup. The transport ended up costing me far more than the room!

Even with the added expense, I would recommend this property to anyone wanting to be close to the heart of London for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: You will probably not have a river view if bookine
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable and would like to thank you for your positive comments, believe me we all over the moon so a big than you on behalf of all the staff here!

I would like to apologize for the concerns you had in regards to your airport pick up, although i am glad to hear that this was resolved i will address your comments with our Head Concierge for review.

We thank you for your business and look forward to welcome you back hopefully in the not too distant future!

Reviewed June 6, 2011

This is a lovely hotel in a great location. Unfortunately it is not clear whether it is targeting package groups or a smarter market. Our check in was mixed up - we got one of the rooms we were promised (ie: not looking over the railway) but not the second. I double checked when chedking in and was told the rooms were not overlooking the railway. Unfortunately we didn't check ourselves but dropped our bags and went to eat - my son was asleep when we got back to the room so it was too late to change. After that we didn't want the hassles. The room with the requested extra bed was allocated to the wrong people (who checked in earlier) so the bed had to be moved. Breakfast on -1 was a budget offering, poor quality and total chaos. On day 2 it was so busy we were sent to breakfast on the ground floor which was good and as I had expected. I usually pay around the price or a little less when staying in London but have always got better service and value for money elsewhere

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
NNieto, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2011

Dear Guest,

We sincerely hope that your stay with us was overall enjoyable, however I am terribly sorry to hear that your requests were not fully accommodated and due to internal miscommunication your expectatitons were not met. I guarantee you I take your comments very seriously and will be addressed with the respective Head of departments for review and action.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Park Plaza Hotels & Resorts we would like to apologize for the concerns you had while staying with us. Also i would like to take this opportunity to thank you for feedback and please, should you wish to come back do not hesitate to contact me or any of our Guest Relations Manager directly, we will not only be delighted to assist but also make sure you and your family do have a wonderful stay,

Reviewed June 5, 2011

Nice hotel with good sized accommodations at a very reasonable price for London. Short walk to Tube station and several good restaurants. Breakfast was very good with a nice selection from light fare to full English breakfast included in our room

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank GeneB1

Dear Gene,

We are delighted to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable and would like to thank you for your positive comments!

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Park Plaza Hotels & Resorts we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Reviewed June 4, 2011

I have stayed here several times in the past for work purposes; back in the days when the hotel was almost new. Several years later I returned and was not disappointed by the maintained standards of the room/bathroom and facilities; i.e. nothing seemed worse-for-wear over time. I had to go out to eat when I stayed, though my partner commented that the room service was very good in choice, speed of delivery and of course, taste. This hotel is a little off the beaten track in terms of the tourist route, which I find attractive and its services are more than comparable to many 4/5 star hotels on the northern side of the Thames. Very handy for Vauxhall Station, and an easy stroll to Westminster in the opposite direction.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
MarioGarcia-Vao, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2011

Dear Fravellist,

On behalf of the whole Park Plaza Riverbank team, we would like to thank you for your review and the nice comments about the Hotel. As you mentioned, we strive to maintain the standards of the Hotel and we have recently refurbished many areas of the building. Also, we pride ourselves for the food and beverages served in the Hotel, being well known among our visitors!

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Mario Garcia-Vao