“Great Boutique Hotel in Great Area of London”

Charlotte Street Hotel
Ranked #34 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Los Angeles
“Great Boutique Hotel in Great Area of London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

I love boutique hotels and this one does not disappoint. The rooms are charming, with lovely decor and a decent size. The bathrooms are big. The lobby, downstairs restaurant and bar/library are all wonderful. The location is fantastic just steps away from the subway and great restaurants and pubs. We could easily walk to the theater and Regents Park. I love to walk and we easily walked to Buckingham Palace, the giant Ferris Wheel, and even Chelsea.

Our room did not get very cold even though we had the air conditioning on high. I think that is just as good as it gets. But the room was never uncomfortable. The staff was very helpful - we scored great seats to a show that we were told was sold out. I will stay here again. The gym was quite nice too.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ReggieF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Hebrew first
AvenueJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2009

Definitely the nicest boutique hotel in London in one of the nicest neighborhoods. A 3 minute walk to the clubs of Soho and with Regents Park just to the North you can play Jane Austin al the time!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank AvenueJ
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

I've stayed here twice on my own, on both occasions it has been totally superb. The first time I stayed I received a warm welcome to the hotel, my room had been upgraded and I was allowed into it slightly early allowing me time to get to a meeting.

I had dinner in the restaurant with a friend, the waiter knew it was the first time I had stayed and offered us a complimentary glass of champagne. Having stayed in alot of varied hotels in London, that kind of attention to detail is rare, well actually I've never had it anywhere else... The food was good, wine list varied. Don't think I can say enough good things about this place, I wanted to move in and now spend most months working out when I can get back down to my favourite hotel.

The area is great too, a quiet pocket but handily great for drinks in soho, shopping and pretty much everything you need in London. Loads of other restaurants nearby too if you don't want to go far.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Edinburgh_travel
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

I have to say I was completely blown away by this place - admittedly this may partly be due to the fact that I was whisked off here as a surprise for my 30th birthday - but nonetheless the level of service and personal attention was brilliant. We were given a guided tour of the lounge and library area downstairs (love the Honesty Bar!), and then showed to our room where we were brought glasses of complementary champagne. Nice touch. The chap showing us around was friendly, courteous and knowledgeable - pretty much faultless service.
At the risk of rambling on: beautiful room, well kitted out (good hairdryer, plenty of toiletries, robes, massive towels, tv+dvd player, umbrella in case you forgot yours!), delicious cooked breakfast brought to our room, very good air-con, fantastic shower (plus neat steam-proof mirror)...... and the room was so QUIET, which was amazing as Charlotte Street is hardly a sleepy part of town. For those of you not familiar with London, the location of this hotel could hardly be better: it's walking distance from Oxford Street shops, and there are loads of bars and restaurants right outside the hotel; plus there is a tube station just around the corner.
I can't comment on price/value as obviously this stay was a surprise for me - but if you're after something a bit special, then this is your spot.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GT_28
Egg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2009

We have stayed in this hotel on 3 occasions. On the 2nd visit there were building works in the lobby, which we were upset about as the stay was to celebrate a special occasion. We explained our situation and were immediately offered an upgraded room in the Soho hotel, another Firmdale gem. Ok, ideally we should have been told about the building when we booked, but as the problem was dealt with so well and quickly we were still impressed. And in addition to the upgrade, we were then offered a complimentary night back at the Charlotte street to be taken any time in the future - brilliant customer service. All the staff we met on each occasion were excellent, nothing too much trouble. On our last visit we were celebrating our 10th anniversary and were given champagne, a beautiful scented candle and even some bath and massage oil.
Breakfast is pricey, but you don't have to take this option and there are a dozen decent coffee bars around where you can have something more reasonable.
The decor is great, rooms small (unless you go for one of the luxury ones) but very nice and very well equipped and a brilliant location for Oxford St, Soho, Theatreland etc. It is an expensive hotel, but you are right in the heart of town and you get what you pay for. We love it and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

Just returned from Charlotte Street hotel for my birthday weekend and am very disappointed. It is part of the same group at The Haymarket, and bears no comparison. We stayed at The Haymarket last year and it was just perfect, staff, service, rooms - everything was 100%. Charlotte Street is lacking - at least for the price.
Our room was small, view of some ugly air conditioning units outside, no seperate shower, no tea and coffee making tray - altogether not what we were expecting. The lady on reception asked me if the room was ok - I told her how I was feeling, and then they proceeded to do nothing about it!! WHY ASK???? A small gesture of a bottle of wine in the room - something that would only cost them a fiver - but would have made me feel less disgruntled - that was all it would have taken.
The breakfast - for £19.50 was grim. I had poached eggs and the plate was swimming in water - resulting in wet soggy bread - yuk! We ordered a paper and got the wrong one, and the second breakfast - in the room this time - was cold and totally inedible.
This is not a Travel Lodge for goodness sake - so not what you expect for £225.00 per night.
If you're going to book a london Hotel give this one a miss and try The Haymarket - you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Brenda R
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2009

Katja, the Hotel Manager made this stay special, her attention to detail and service was personal and professional. The hotel is charming, warm, luxurious and elegant in a bustling area of London, with great restaurants, pubs and a lively youthful excitement. Young business people frequent the area as well as University students.

We stayed with our son who is studying at NYU London for the semester. We all enjoyed our stay in a beautful, large junior suite, with a spa like bath, most appreciated by our dorm living student. But, we all enjoyed every minute of our stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family