“Great location, good quality”

Grange Clarendon Hotel
Ranked #556 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 26, 2013

The hotel is perfectly situated, a bit away from the hustle and bustle which makes it lovely quiet. But it's still in walking distance to anything you need: the British museum is just around the corner, restaurants nearby and the rest of London at your feet.
The room was classic and cosy, the bed good and the bathroom spotless and updated. We were blessed with good weather, which unfortunately made room extremely hot. London not being the typical air conditioner-needing travel destination, we had no means of cooling down, except for a cold shower.
The only ripoff is the breakfast: we wanted to treat ourselves to a quintessential English breakfast for our 10 years anniversary and it was ridiculously expensive!! Save your money - there are plenty other, cheaper options nearby.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EuTravelMag

Reviewed November 18, 2013

My room was nice and clean. It had tea and coffee making facilitie, trouser press and hair dryer. A reasonable size flat screen. My bed was also super comfy, The breakfast was lovely, being a vegitarian, I was pleased to find veggy sausages, but there was a good range there from cereals, fruit, toast and of course a full English breakfast. Finally the staff were friendly and very helpful, when I had to make a complaint (not about hotel, but noisy neighbours in thr next room) they tried thier best to resolve the issue. I would highly recommend this hotel and would go there again

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sophieeee2013
Reviewed November 16, 2013

A bit disappointed. It seems the staff here struggle a little with English as it was hard to get the exact location of the hotel before arrival. When I arrived the receptionist couldn't advise me whether we were within the congestion zone or not (they are). The bar is shocking, basically 6 chairs around a table next to the reception area and the bar man is fingers and thumbs - don't expect a Whisky Sour here!

The rooms are very comfortable BUT... at around 0545 a door kept banging from below (I stayed on the first floor) and it continued at around every minute. At around 0600 I called reception to ask it to stop and it did for about 20 mins and then it continued maybe every 30 secs. Clearly this is a health and safety issue which they have to adhere to but after a great night at the opera and a late night with my dad this is not what you expect from this calibre of hotel. I accidentally booked this hotel as my father wanted the Clarendon in Mayfair - clearly this exemplifies the difference!

There was also an issue with breakfast. It would seem I had ordered breakfast for one room and not the other. When this was mentioned at breakfast they would not honour the mistake and charged me £25 for the extra breakfast rather that the additional £9 at the time of booking. Customer service? No - you are number here.

Room Tip: Don't get one on the first floor otherwise you'll be awake at 0600!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank minchink
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I would recomment this hotel to anyone thinking of staying in London. It is very well located just minutes from a tube and 2 stops from Leicester Square and the hotel itself is very comfortable.

I had a double room with a friend that was clean, spacious with a good TV and a fantastic bathroom.

My only grumble is we arrived at 2.00pm and were told by the receptionist that our room was not ready. I understand that check in was 3.00pm but she didnt even to check to see if our room had been done early.

I sat in the bar whilst my friend used the shower room and watched as couple 5 minutes after us was aloud to check in and go to their room. no problem. I found this to be poor form fron the front of house.

It would not stop me recommending this hotel but I do think the ciuld treat travellers that bit better sometimes.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 1st floor and it was fantastic
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Martyn050378
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This small hotel is a reasonable value, especially over the weekends, for downtown London. It is on a fairly quiet street a block and a half from the British Museum. The back rooms face a small garden, but back up to a privately owned large garden that you can look at. So, even though you are in the middle of this huge city, it is peaceful. The double room was small, but had a desk in it. The bathroom, and shower were very narrow, and the step in and out of the tub was about 20 inches, which is really tall. No fridge, microwave or A/C, but there was a hot water kettle and tea bags. Staff was friendly. There is a small bar area downstairs and a lift. Continental breakfast was OK, but quite expensive - over 17 pounds; included on the weekends. This hotel is right off of Southhampton Road, so there is a Sainsbury mini-market with all kinds of food a couple of blocks away. The Tube is Russell Square, although taxis are readily obtainable. This was my second stay and I enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank vaorbust
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, close to the British Museum, and Birkbeck University.
We stayed in an executive room (311) on the third floor. This is probably the largest hotel room and bathroom I have ever had in the UK.
The window, overlooking a tree lined view, could be opened all the way for fresh air, unusual in hotels now.
Dinner was taken at a sister hotel 50 yards down the road and the food was good.
The full English breakfast in the Clarendon's own restaurant was superb, and the service lightning quick, important ahead of a busy day.
Staff were very pleasant, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2013

After arriving in London from a terribly delayed trip from Berlin, without any bags, the service here was a godsend. They kindly let us use there front desk phone to call the airport (for long periods of time on hold). The location, just off Russell Square, is great, with a classic London view out the window. All in all, a great location at a great price, with impeccable service. One flaw was that there was a heatwave so sleep was a bit hot, though the street is fairly quiet.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family