“Good trip spoilt by unhelpful receptionist”

Grange Clarendon Hotel
Ranked #484 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Good trip spoilt by unhelpful receptionist”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had booked two double rooms here to treat my mother for her 60th birthday and arrived with our luggage in the morning and did all the admin before going off for the day, we were advised that check in was at 3pm. We returned at 5.15pm intending to get ready as we were going out for cocktails at Clairdges at 6pm. The receptionist, Agnes, advised one of our rooms was not ready, we expressed our dissatisfaction and she failed to even apologise but just smirked at us. In the end we requested to speak to her manager and lo and behold the room was ready almost immediately. I requested that she book us a taxi to Claridges at 6.15pm and we went to get ready, on returning to reception at the allotted time, she had failed to book us a taxi and again smirked when we noted our displeasure, another staff member went out and hailed us a taxi. All other staff were courteous and helpful but Agnes was non communicative and rude. The rooms were large and clean and if it hadn't been for her I would be providing a much better review.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nikki C
GroupGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Grange Clarendon Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Nikki C,

I am sorry your expectations were not satisfied on this occasion.

By way of explanation, there was a delay in issuing the room key for your second room for 3-4 minutes due to a final check of the room by Housekeeping. We apologise for the delay.

The taxi which was requested was not ordered immediately because, as explained at the time, in signalling a taxi too soon and making the driver wait, the cost on the meter increases unnecessarily. For convenience and to reduce cost to our guests, we advise that a black cab be ordered from the Reception immediately before it is required.

I hope that the above clarifies the situation and I would like to assure you that your comments have been noted.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed here for two nights to visit the British Museum Pompei exhibition. The location was excellent for this and close to the tube station. Plenty of shops and restaurants in the next street (Southampton Row) and near a small park. Very pleasant surroundings. The hotel itself was small but adequate and breakfast was surprisingly good. The room was a large room with sofa and table facing the rear of the hotel. Bathroom was large with a powerful (and plenty of hot water) shower. My only gripe was that the window latch was broken and I couldn't lock it shut, I reported this twice but nothing was done. However, I would stay here again purely for the location.

Room Tip: Rooms facing rear are quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Clarendon for work and to be honest it's a nice hotel although if you get chance choose the Beauchamp as I found this far nicer. Breakfast is ok, they are ideally located near Holborn tube station and a minutes walk away is a host of shops, pubs and resteraunts. You can't really go wrong here for a short stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Banjul, Gambia
Reviewed April 2, 2013

"Who you gonna call?" No one. Our room phone didn't work and no one would come to repair or replace it during our three-night stay. I have read that similar travelers have suffered the same fate. I realize that this is certainly a "first-world problem", but after a long day of travel I like to be able to pick up a hotel room phone and call for food. Having to go downstairs to place the order in person is not convenient or desirable. I brought the matter to the attention of two receptionists, working on two different shifts, but to no avail. We paid approx. $130 US per night.

The room was small but adequate, with a bathroom larger than the room might have suggested. The beds were severely uncomfortable.

The breakfast was a standard Continental buffet affair: fruits, cereals, cheese, sliced meats, toast, etc. for an eye-popping 17-21 pounds (or approx. $35-40). There are many breakfast options withing walking distance that charge a fraction of the cost of the hotel.

The hotel is located just around the corner from the British Museum, and Oxford Street is nearby to provide many shopping opportunities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Evan H
Leicestershire, UK
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Recent business stay. Not really a hotel. Looks and has the feel of a B&B or guesthouse. Service level to match. No food other than breakfast on site. Room service evening food revolting. Staff pleasant but don't give impression of any sense of caring/responsibility. Would not recommend and won't be staying again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank archibald75
Plymouth, Devon
Reviewed March 24, 2013

As the title says, this hotel is situated in an excellent location, just a few minutes' walk from Holborn tube (off Southampton Row). The hotel has been created from four adjoining Georgian London townhouses, so there are several staircases and corridors and I got lost once or twice! The receptionand bar areas are very appealing and comfortable.

The 2nd floor room I was originally allocated (a nice double) had a completely dead TV, and as it couldn't be fixed I was immediately moved (and upgraded!) to a ground floor kingsize room with two sofas. As it was at the back of the hotel, it was nice and quiet. The decor was a little tired and the bathroom lighting somewhat dim, but it was spotlessly clean. My only criticism was that (for my taste) the mattress was very hard and I couldn't get comfortable at all.

Breakfast was very good - plenty of choice, and the waiting staff were very attentive. There's a restaurant just along the road in a sister hotel, and plenty of cafes and restaurants in nearby Southampton Row - even a Tesco if all you want is a snack.

Overall, I would be happy to stay here again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for one at the back overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business