“OK for a budget hotel”

Holiday Inn Express London - Greenwich
Ranked #341 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My family came to London for an ancient artefacts exhibition. Also, we found out that there was a football club for children nearby and put down my younger brother's name. Back in the 60s or 70s my parents went to a famous Egyptian exhibition and were very excited about going to a similar one. The hotel staff were friendly enough but didn't often make eye contact. The food in the Chinese restaurant was good and the people there were very friendly. When we returned to our room for the evening, the entire corridor smelled of cigarette smoke, and some people were drunk and shouting outside our room in the middle of the night. My brother was upset and we didn't sleep well. In the morning we tried to raise these points with the reception staff but they just ignored us :-(
One last thing, we had a short walk to the O2 and the tube station and couldn't help but notice an overpowering smell of bad milk in the area! What I got from this hotel experience is that it smells like cigarettes inside and smells like off milk outside.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Zivile T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to thank you for feedback about your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Express Greenwich London.

I am very glad that you like our hotel proximity to the O2 arena and found hotel staff friendly.
Please accept my apologies with regards to smell of cigarette smoke in the guest corridor. Our hotel is fully non smoking since 2010 and it is against the law to smoke in hotel premises. Unfortunately it happens that sometimes some guest do ignore non smoking policy and try to smoke in their rooms. We are very strict about it and we have procedures put in place to deal with such issues should they arise.

I am sorry to hear that you were inconvenienced by noise from the corridor as we do have signage advising to be considerate to other guests. Please in the future contact our Reception team straight away and we will be able to address this immediately.

Thank you for drawing your concerns to our attention as such feedback enables us to improve the quality of our facilities and service we provide.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future again when we will have an opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Sincerely Yours,

Zivile Tamosaityte
Guest Service Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,289)

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Having had a disappointing place to stay the previous week, I looked slightly further away from the City, for a branded hotel. Hotels.com came up with a reasonable price for an Express by Holiday Inn in Greenwich, a nice enough area, so I booked. First warning, it is a good 15-20 minute walk to this hotel from North Greenwich tube station, which is not that pleasant when you are hauling luggage. Hotel was ok, but my room 204, was too near the door to the stairwell, so whenever people used it, it banged quite a bit. Only used the included breakfast buffet once, not great quality but you could eat as much as you like. For business it was an ok place to stay, and is reasonably handy for the O2.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Colincoach
SubIyer, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review following your stay at the hotel. I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel in close proximity to the O2. Hotel is accessible by public transport from North Greenwich station by Bus, which is one stop away or you could take a taxi that cost £5. I am sorry to hear that you were inconvenienced by noise from the corridor as we do have signage advising to be considerate to other guests.

We sincerely hope that you will choose to stay with us again should your requirements bring you to the area. Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Yours Sincerely,

Sub Iyer

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed wher while visiting the O2.
The hotel is close (a 15 minute walk), which is why we booked it.
The only complaint I have is with the food: the evening meal was very disappointing.
Fish & Chips and a Burger (£11 each) were both poor- fish and chips were obviously frozen, the burger was OK, but you needed a steak knife to cut the bun !
I wouldn't eat there again- wait until you get to the O2, there is loads of choice inside.
Glass of wine £5.99 for 250ml and a pint os Stella £3.75.
So two meals with drinks for £35, not bad for London, but not particularly pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Parothead-Pete
Tony R, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit to the hotel.

Please allow me to express my sincere apologies to you for the quality of the food that you were served, this could be a training issue and I will address the information provided to the team here with the aim of improving our services going forward.

I can only hope that you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay with us, and I would like to once again thank you for your valuable feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future

Sincere Regards

Tony Revell
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Although the stay was good, we forgot shampoo!!!! Big mistake, but o minor problem!!! Great location if going to the O2 only a five minute walk.The hotel lobby was more like you was waiting to catch a plane, or waiting to see a doctor, could be a lot more intimate!.The wifi had many hiccups, had to get two codes an still no good, so I gave up. We didnt eat there so we cant comment on the food. I felt the staff was a little inexperienced as to what they were doing in the bar area

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank debbsieliz
SubIyer, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. I am glad to hear that you found the hotel to located ideally for the O2. I am sorry to hear that you encountered problems with the wifi service. We have recently launched free wifi service throughout the hotel and will continue to monitor this closely to ensure guests are able to use this service without any problems. We certainly take guest feedback seriously and will ensure all staff are trained to deliver appropriate levels of service in the bar and throughout the hotel.

The team would like to be associated with me in apologising for any shortcoming experienced during your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Sub Iyer

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We have now stayed three times while attending concerts, I still think this is a great hotel very handy to walk to the O2.
Decent room decent bar area and decent breakfast.
Overall I would not hesitate to recommend you stay here when visiting the O2 you could easily pay twice the price for similar but further away.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BriBriUK
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Me and a friend stayed here as we were going to the O2 and it was just down the road. Probably a bit far to walk and a bit short for a taxi but we took a taxi anyway much to the drivers dismay. The hotel was as expected, the staff were polite and friendly and were very helpful when asked any questions as we werent familiar with the area. All in all a pleasant, stress free stay. The only bad thing was that there was a bit of a drainy smell in the bathroom but thats it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank h0telm0telh0lidayinn
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We usually try to stay here if visiting the O2 because it's so convenient and makes for a more relaxed evening. Try and book as early in advance as possible as the nearer the date you book the more expensive it gets.
The good thing about Holiday Inn Express is that children/teenagers can stay in a room with the adults. Admittedly on a sofa bed, but for one night this saves a lot of money. Breakfast is also included. Not very exciting, usually a selection of fruit and cereal, croissants, rolls, cheese, scrambled eggs, sausage, beans and toast, but again, is more than adequate and can save a fortune for a family. We stayed here on Friday evening and all was as good as usual. I always ask for a quiet room away from lifts as we have stayed before in a room close to the lifts and been disturbed by noise and door banging by people coming back late at night. There was a slight blip when we entered our room as the sofa bed hadn't been made up for our son, but a quick call to reception and in no time the bed was made up and extra towels provided!
We rounded off our evening after visiting the O2 with a visit to the bar. This has quite a nice atmosphere and is pleasant and comfortable to relax in.
Breakfast was as I described before, but we took our son's up to the room as in usual teenage fashion he struggled to get up on time.
Check out was as usual quick and efficient.
Always happy to stay here.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are away from the lifts.