Holiday Inn Express London-Swiss Cottage
galahotels.com
$288
$277
1,187 results
All reviewsfinchley roadtube stationjubilee linehi expressmetropolitan linesluton airportpizza expressbusy roadthe sofa bedwembley stadiumfree breakfastbeansper nightminute walkthe breakfast areabus routesreception staff
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed here for five nights, so have some decent feedback to share.

First the positives: the hotel is very well located and is 3-4 minutes walk from the Finchley Road tube station. The O2 shopping centre is exactly opposite the hotel and has some good restaurants, a fitness centre, a bookstore and Sainsbury’s. Besides, there were a lot of shops down Finchley Road towards Swiss Cottage. The rooms were clean and the service was decent as the staff is fairly cordial. We were initially on the second floor and on the side facing the noisy Finchley Road. When we requested for a change, the hotel offered us a room on the fourth floor which was a lot better. The shifting of rooms was very well managed. The staff allowed me to make a few local calls from the reception desk and did not charge for it which was a nice gesture. The hotel also had two elevators which made things convenient. Most important, the staff is very honest. My wife left her wedding ring in the room and they got back to us when we were checking out, which we really appreciate. We had an early check-in - while rooms were not available till noon, they let us use the luggage room which was very convenient.

Now the downside: the hotel charges you for Wi-fi. For Priority members, they offer you one hour complimentary but we cannot break it up and have to use it in one go. It’s like having to plan well in advance before using the free Wi-fi. Though the breakfast spread was decent, one tends to get bored with scrambled eggs every single day. While they did alternate between sausages and bacon, one needs to add more variety. The breakfast area was quite spacious and they let us use the meeting rooms as well. Thirdly, there aren’t too many amenities available and practically no room service but then I was told that goes with most Holiday Inn Express properties. Another big negative was the small crammed up rooms. These are perhaps ok for just about two people but as we had an extra person along with our small kid, we really felt the lack of space. To top it all, there were no cupboards. So, we literally lived out of our suitcases. One advice I would like to offer is to avoid staying in these rooms if there are three adults. The sofa-cum bed leaves you with no additional space to even move around. Lastly, keeping valuables became an issue as there were no safety deposit boxes in the rooms. The hotel did have a few near the reception but we got one only after three days. As a Priority member, we were to get newspapers but we had to ask the hotel for this every day.

I would rate our stay as average. Full marks to their service and location but certain areas need improvement.

Room Tip: Choose a room that does not face Finchley Road, else ask for a room on the fourth or fifth floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Swiss Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Bundle72,

As a Priority Club Rewards member you are one of our most important guests, and we greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 16, 2013

this hotel is well positioned close to the tube (metro) but we used the free parking - a useful benefit. For the kosher traveler the hotel provides a kosher breakfast which is clearly and cheerfully displayed. The Jewish Chronicle is on the front desk too. The hotel is 2 minuites walk from the local synagogue.
Other good points include the large rooms and the friendlyness of the reception staff.
On the negative side:
The Wifi is not free - it certainly should be
Some bedrooms face the busy Great North Way (try to get a room numbered 7 or below on any floor as tthese face the car park and have lower traffic noise.
The bathrooms 'feature' a door that closes either the toilet or the shower - but not both.
The bed in my room creaked.
Even though this is a business/express hotel - I think that more storage space for unpacking could be provided - 2 shelves and 1 hanging rail are open to the room - nothing else.
A safe and a mini bar in the room would be welcomed.

I will return if I need to be exactly in this location, but I hope that some of the items that I have mentioned will be improved by then

Room Tip: make sure that you are in a room numbered 7 or below on any floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank philip54321
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Safe, clean, excellent location (3 minute walk to tube- Finchley rd. then 10-15 minutes anywhere in city center), good breakfast, good service. Perfectly good family room for parents and kids. Great value. Will return.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MarinaRon
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had to make a last minute reservation from the Stansted-London coach and remembered that it stopped right outside the hotel. A room was found for me without any fuss and I managed to drag my cases a few yards from the coach stop to the lobby. I was greeted warmly by the receptionist and duty manager but was surprised to learn that hotel did not provide free wifi which is pretty unforgiveable in the digital age -- and theaccommodation was not cheap!
My room on the 6th floor was a tight squeeze with all my cases but it was comfortable and well-appointed. I checked again on the wifi situation and a helpful Hungarian chap at the front desk informed me I could get a whole hour (!) free if I joined their loyalty program -- which I did.
Coming back from a night out with friends I had a nightcap at the bar which was ok but a little anodyne. The room was a little cold in the night (getting the heating turned up seemed to involve contating the front desk and I couldn't be bothered) but the water was hot. The breakfast choices were a bit uninspriring but an amply supply of sausages, scrambled eggs, toast and cheese devoured while observing the world go by on a rainy Finchley Road was a pleasant experience. I think Holiday Inn should revise their wifi policy and heat the rooms a bit better but this is hardly the responsibility of the staff. Would return -- I liked the staircase too.

Room Tip: Maybe the lower floors are warmer?
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for our first Europe trip, first time to London. The hotel is located steps from a metro station and is very convenient for those who are familiar or unfamiliar with Europe travel. We took the Picadily? (blue) line from the airport to the Jubilee line which then drops you directly by the hotel. It is a bit of a ride but very easy to find your way. Each day we were able to purchase our day passes for the tube and enjoy London via the tube, steps from our hotel.
Upon arrival we were very openly greeted and welcomed into our room a bit early. Being priority members we were given 3 hours of internet free. We had a room on the backside of the hotel (quiet). The beds seemed a bit hard compared to the “normal” beds I’m used to, but overall the room was well stocked with furniture and a small but adequate bathroom. Shortly after arriving we heard a knock and 2 bottles of water were dropped off. From there on we were able to enjoy the daily free breakfast, short walk to the tube and overall friendly guest services. I’ll cut through all the details and give you a pros and cons list below:
Pros:
Close to metro
Plenty of restaurants and grocery stores across the street
Secure building
Helpful staff
Free breakfast
Free internet to priority club members
Safe neighborhood
Cons:
Internet code expires at midnight, so you have to go downstairs to get a new one in the morning if you want to explore your travels prior to departure
Breakfast is somewhat limited
No irons in rooms
Did not locate a US power outlet in the room – may have just missed it

Overall – we will absolutely stay at this holiday inn again should we return to London. Of the 3 we visited on our European trip, this was our favorite.

Room Tip: Ask for a rear high floor room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple