“Avoid if cleanliness is a concern”
Review of European Hotel

European Hotel
Ranked #895 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and have never been so shocked at the conditions of a place. I fully appreciate 'budget' but where cleanliness is concerned this was shocking.

Further more, on entering I was greeting by a lovely couple from brazil who looked highly upset and asked if I'd seen my room yet as theirs was awful. Made me instantly worried to hat I'd find which turned out to be this.

List:

- wallpaper covered in dubious stains and marks. Peeling. Discoloured
- bedside cabinet covered in dirt
- shower head mouldy and not been cleaned (ever?)
- doors, damaged with disconcerting holes
- toilet covered in dirt
- sink, dirty
- sticky carpet with additional chewing gum
- wardrobe, inaccessible due to size and positioning of inbuilt makeshift bathroom and random places chair.

And that's to name but a few things.

Keeping things clean does not cost much and certainly affordable under 'budget'.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Sparkle_and_shine
Hotelier19, Manager at European Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you for your feedback.

We clean our rooms daily so I am surprised you say the room was not cleaned properly. I would be most grateful if you could contact me at the European Hotel to let me know which room number you stayed so that I can look at this room and investigate.

We are currently refurbishing rooms and this may be one of the rooms we are refurbishing at the moment.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel is correct in all services and I'll recomend it specially because of its cleanliness and the exellent location. I felt very comfortable there and I'll probably repeat hotel in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we are do try our best to ensure rooms are clean and comfortable.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Excellent locationn - across the road from Kings Cross and located on quiet square. I was on third floor and relatively quiet, although you do have to walk up the stairs as no lift. Single room was about the size of a small student dorm room, but was en-suite. Walls could use a paint job, but it was clean and very affordable at 60 pounds. Breakfast was ok - baked beans, eggs, toast, etc - would be nice for them to include some fruit. If price was my main concern - I would stay again as it is acceptable for a short-term stay.

Room Tip: third floor is quiet, but a bit of a walk up the stairs
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback.

It is always a pleasure to hear when our guests have enjoyed their stay with us.

We hope to see you again soon :-)

Reviewed November 10, 2012

My father had been invited to meet Prince Andrew at Buckingham Palace, along with 18 other Kohima veterans, last Thursday morning,so we needed an overnight stay near King,s X. I found this hotel, about 100yards from the station, so decided to book it. On arrival, Lucy behind the desk was very helpful.I, requested a ground floor room, & we were given one. She explained the breakfast room was downstairs with no lift. This was a problem for me as my father is in a wheelchair. Lucy told me not to worry. she said I could go & get my dad,s breakfast on a tray & he could eat in our room.I asked if she could order us a taxi to B.P. & also a return taxi to King,s X. No bother at all. Our room was small, but had all we needed. Clean sheets & towels. Decor was "tired". Lovely view over the square. Breakfast was substantial & tasty,&as much as you wanted.For the cost,it was excellent, but maybe the room would be too small for a long stay, but, for a base to explore London,brilliant, in wheelchair pushing distance of the 2 railway stations. I would return there again. Nige V.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have a good outlook, but ground floor can be on the noisy side
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Hello

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you enjoyed your time at Buckingham Palace meeting the Royals. We tried to make it as easy as possible for your father to take breakfast as he was in a wheel chair. We are currently refurbishing our rooms and the room you stayed in is the next room we will be decorating.

It was lovely to have you with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Regards

Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel is very simple, but it is ok to stay for a few days only.
The shower is very small and the decoration is not very beautiful, but the location is good, considering that Kings Cross and St. Pancras are in a walking distance.
If you are travelling by train or underground, it is a good option... if you are not looking for a sophisticated hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Positive moments for this hotel:
location
cleanness
Shower, toilet and teapot in the room
free WiFi good quality
Negative moments for this hotel:
small room
scant breakfast
noise at night
unfriendly staf
price

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Hotelier19, Manager at European Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes the rooms are not very large but we are a budget bed and breakfast hotel and our price is very competitive for Central London.

We are located on a quiet square so there is ot usually much noise outside unless there are people talking outside but this is out of the hotels control.

We try our best to offer low cost accommodation in a fantastic location with the price including a full english breakfast, free wifi and tea/coffee making facilities.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights as we were on a long weekends sightseeing break, great location for the train if arriving from the north east, only 100 yds. from Kings cross station. If you have heavy luggage ask for a ground floor room as there is no lift, we were on the second floor and an oxygen mask would have been welcome after the climb !.

The room was small, warm & clean with Freeview TV,and we slept very well during our stay.
I compared hundreds of hotels before I booked and the only other ones in London that were of a comparable price and standard were the 'Easy' hotels but alas no breakfast, no television, no windows & no space and they were all a lot further away than the European hotel.

Breakfast was OK, served in a cold basement with not a great deal of finesse, the whole place had a general unloved feel about it albeit this was mostly cosmetic, but hey! for £75 a night for a double room somewhere near central London, who's moaning !!!.

Best value of the weekend was the all day pass on the tube, £8.40 for as many journeys in zones 1&2 (where all the best bits are) as you wanted.

Room Tip: If you have heavy luggage book a ground floor room or bring your own CPR & resuscitation equipme...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

In future if you book any future bookings please specify you would prefer a room on a low floor and we will try our best to meet your request.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Regards